Is it worth upgrading my CPU for an i7 or i5?

Hey everyone,

I am looking to upgrade a few things in my PC mostly for gaming. I have an Intel Quad Q6600 CPU that I am unsure about keeping. I have to upgrade my Radeon 3870 and get a PCI express 2.0 supporting mobo anyway so I am wondering if I should upgrade my CPU in the process. I have heard that most games don't take advantage of quad core CPUs yet and that the performance level of CPUs nowadays isn't that relevant in terms of game performance. I do not know how much of this is true but I would like to find out. Should I upgrade my Q6600 to something newer or just stick with it? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrading
  1. im asking myself the same question in my latest thread... you should check it, for some of the info might be of help to you...
  2. well keep ur Q6600.... u will not benefit from going to I series, because games really don't use Quads right now ( exceptions r there though ). like GTA4 uses Quad core.....
  3. yeah, just upgrade ur GPU now. that should suffice...
  4. hey just wait till 2011... there will be Intel's latest microprocessor family, code-named Sandy Bridge..... then update whole machine.....
  5. ...and AMD's Bulldozer...
  6. ya that too.... :bounce:
  7. i wonder wat i should save up for... the bulldozer or sandy bridge...???
  8. p4nz3rm4d said:
    i wonder wat i should save up for... the bulldozer or sandy bridge...???

well only time will tell friend........
  9. Hey thanks a lot guys. I did not expect so many replies so fast. I am definitely glad that I can save at least some money.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5