Sign in with
Your question

Mix and match speeds of storage devices within single RAID

Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2012 3:58:32 PM

I have a challenge:

Under "specifications" and "Storage ports" for this motherboard:

http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/asus-intel-ul...

It says:

"2 x SATA-600 (RAID), 2 x SATA-600, 4 x SATA-300 (RAID), 2 x powered eSATA-600"

I have three 512GB SATA-600 SSDs that I want to put together in a RAID 0 in order to temporarily store a 1.2 TB array. (I am aware that the more SSDs I put in a RAID 0 the more chance of failure, I still want to do this).

If the 6 storage devices built into that motherboard that are labelled as having RAID control are all controlled by the same RAID controller, perhaps I could put 2 of the SATA-600 SSDs in the SATA-600 slots, and one of them in the SATA-300 slot, then underclock the two SATA-600 ones so that they transfer at the same speed as the SATA-300 one ----- would this work ?

However, I'm not sure if this motherboard has two separate RAID controllers (one for the 2 x SATA-600, and one for the 4 x SATA-300) ... or one RAID controller controlling everything. Does anyone know ??

If there's two separate controllers, I've heard that I'll be able to combine the two SSDs connected to the SATA-600 (RAID) slots, with the one SSD connected to the SATA-300 (RAID) slot "dynamically in Windows" ... I don't have a clue what that means ---- any ideas ??

I do not care at all about speed .... all I want to do is put a 1.2 TB array on this RAID array with three 512GB SATA-600 SSDs, with this motherboard that says under storage ports:

"2 x SATA-600 (RAID), 2 x SATA-600, 4 x SATA-300 (RAID), 2 x powered eSATA-600"

without buying another RAID controller.

Is it possible ???

a c 529 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 10:10:40 PM

The P9X79 PRO has 3 SATA controllers (Intel, Marvell, & ASMedia).
The Intel & Marvell controllers support RAID.

[b said:
Intel® X79 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
2 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), green] Intel® X79 chipset :
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
2 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), green
[/b]

Yes, you can connect your 3 SSDs to any of the 6 Intel ports in any combination and they will work in RAID-0; no need to underclock anything.

For best performance connect 2 of the drives to the 6Gb/s ports.
June 26, 2012 10:58:50 PM

Thank you so much Dereck for replying!

That sounds promising. However I'm hearing conflicting things now..

I got impatient and called my supplier to ask about this and he didn't know so he asked his colleagues, he said that unanimously they agreed that the 2 Intel SATA-600s were controlled by one RAID controller, and the 4 Intel SATA-300s were controlled by a different RAID controller, and that they highly doubted I could connect three 512GB SSDs across both RAID controllers and then store a 1.2TB matrix in a RAID 0 configuration ...

I really hope that YOU are right though, because that would make my life so much easier !! (no need to buy a PCIe RAID controller, can just use the ones built into the motherboard)

I don't mean to sound like I'm "challenging you" .. but I really need to make sure this works -- do you have any references that I can read into ??

Thank you so much Dereck, your post really made my day =)

a c 529 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 11:36:12 PM

The specs that are in quotes I copied from Asus’ website.
Here’s the link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X7...

Page x of your motherboard manual shows the RAID support for the Intel ports and page 4-22 will show you how to enter the RAID BIOS.

Page 4-26 will show you how to enter the RAID BIOS for the Marvell controller.
!