20D Firmware update lens removal

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 10, 2004 9:29:22 AM

Hi All,

I just did the 1.1.0 FW update for my 20D, but I did not remove the lens
during the process (just forgot somehow). The update seems to have worked
but I went ahead and repeated it with the lens removed.

Why does the lens have to be removed during the update? Have I caused any
damage to my lens or camera. I am worried.

Thanks
Musty.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:29:23 AM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I just did the 1.1.0 FW update for my 20D, but I did not remove the lens
> during the process (just forgot somehow). The update seems to have worked
> but I went ahead and repeated it with the lens removed.
>
> Why does the lens have to be removed during the update? Have I caused any
> damage to my lens or camera. I am worried.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

I think it's because some lock-ups have been associated with certain lenses
and/or lens mounting troubles. It is most likely to simply protect you from
potential lock-ups which might be caused by the lens during the very
critical period when you're updating the firmware. Removing the lens would
remove that possible cause.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:29:23 AM

If the camera took the firmware update, then no, you did no harm. Firmware
updates either work, or they don't. If it works, you're all set.

Bill Crocker

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I just did the 1.1.0 FW update for my 20D, but I did not remove the lens
> during the process (just forgot somehow). The update seems to have worked
> but I went ahead and repeated it with the lens removed.
>
> Why does the lens have to be removed during the update? Have I caused any
> damage to my lens or camera. I am worried.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

December 10, 2004 3:20:02 PM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I just did the 1.1.0 FW update for my 20D, but I did not remove the lens
> during the process (just forgot somehow). The update seems to have worked
> but I went ahead and repeated it with the lens removed.
>
> Why does the lens have to be removed during the update? Have I caused any
> damage to my lens or camera. I am worried.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Install the Casio Exilim firmware, and your 20D will just barely fit in an
Altoids box.
-Really cool!
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:48:55 PM

Musty wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just did the 1.1.0 FW update for my 20D, but I did not remove the lens
> during the process (just forgot somehow). The update seems to have worked
> but I went ahead and repeated it with the lens removed.
>
> Why does the lens have to be removed during the update? Have I caused any
> damage to my lens or camera. I am worried.

If it was successful, nothing to worry about. They traced failures with
an earlier update (1.04?) to the lens being attached. Apparently that
closes some electrical circuits that can be an issue.

If your camera is now working with FW 1.10, you are OK.

Phil
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 8:55:41 PM

I accidentally updated my 20D firmware with the firmware from the 1D MKII and
now the damn thing fires at 8 fps.

So now I'm gonna flash it with the 1Ds II firmware and see if I can get 16MP
out of it.
December 10, 2004 8:55:42 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>I accidentally updated my 20D firmware with the firmware from the 1D MKII
>and
> now the damn thing fires at 8 fps.
>
> So now I'm gonna flash it with the 1Ds II firmware and see if I can get
> 16MP
> out of it.

Didn't you notice a huge weight gain after flashing to the 1Ds mkII?
<GRIN>
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 8:55:42 PM

Annika1980 wrote:

> So now I'm gonna flash it with the 1Ds II firmware and see if I can get 16MP
> out of it.

Try the Minolta Max 7D firmware and see if you get in body AntiShake.

December 10, 2004 9:58:19 PM

>From: "Mike" gla_dd@yahoo.com

>Didn't you notice a huge weight gain after flashing to the 1Ds mkII?
><GRIN>

Well I did put on a few pounds, but I figured that was the doughnuts.
Oh, you meant the camera?
December 10, 2004 9:58:20 PM

Maybe you could "flash yourself" with a small, light weight, digi-cam patch.
<G>

I'm considering flashing my old Sigma 55mm with Nikon 1200mm VR software.
Will report back if it works. Need to make lots more room on the desk for
when the lens expands.

Mike

> >From: "Mike" gla_dd@yahoo.com
>
>>Didn't you notice a huge weight gain after flashing to the 1Ds mkII?
>><GRIN>
>
> Well I did put on a few pounds, but I figured that was the doughnuts.
> Oh, you meant the camera?

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:20:45 PM

>From: Alan Browne alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca

>> So now I'm gonna flash it with the 1Ds II firmware and see if I can get
>16MP
>> out of it.
>

>Try the Minolta Max 7D firmware and see if you get in body AntiShake.

It'll be years before Minolta's firmware upgrade is available.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 1:25:08 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>

>> It'll be years before Minolta's firmware upgrade is available.
>

> I hope you're right. In theory they could get the s/w right the first
> time.

Nice theory -- but in reality the camera would never ship if they waited
for perfection!

Phil
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 10:56:49 PM

Nice excuse. "Yes we realize the camera is only reliable and works well part
of the time. However, we decided it was best to get it on the market now
anyways. If we had waited until the major bugs were worked out we might not
have ever released it."

Yes, just the type of thinking that makes a customer run for the their
lives.

John

"Phil Wheeler" <w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Alan Browne wrote:
>> Annika1980 wrote:
>>

>>> It'll be years before Minolta's firmware upgrade is available.
>>

>> I hope you're right. In theory they could get the s/w right the first
>> time.
>>

> Nice theory -- but in reality the camera would never ship if they waited
> for perfection!
>
> Phil

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 2:45:02 AM

John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Nice excuse. "Yes we realize the camera is only reliable and works well
> part of the time. However, we decided it was best to get it on the market
> now anyways. If we had waited until the major bugs were worked out we
> might not have ever released it."
>
> Yes, just the type of thinking that makes a customer run for the their
> lives.
>
> John

You obviously are clueless about the realities of business.
Canon/Nikon/etc. is in the business of separating you from your cash. They
try to convince you to give them your cash for pieces of plastic, metal and
glass. You decide if you want said product or you don't. Thinking they
care about you, photography, or anything else is naive.

Steve
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:50:53 AM

It has nothing to do with business. It has everything to do with what stupid
consumers let the companies get away with. I company will only do what will
make them money. If that means consumers are willing to over look bugs in a
product and buy it then that is what the company will do.

Myself, I choose to get what I pay for and when it comes to hardware that is
hardware without major design flaws or bugs. I don't make excuses for their
sloppy work just so I can feel better about being stupid enough to buy
something before it works correctly. Anyone that does is a dumb ass.

John

"S." <noemail770@noemail.com> wrote in message
> John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Nice excuse. "Yes we realize the camera is only reliable and works well
>> part of the time. However, we decided it was best to get it on the market
>> now anyways. If we had waited until the major bugs were worked out we
>> might not have ever released it."
>>
>> Yes, just the type of thinking that makes a customer run for the their
>> lives.
>>
>> John
>>

> You obviously are clueless about the realities of business.
> Canon/Nikon/etc. is in the business of separating you from your cash.
> They try to convince you to give them your cash for pieces of plastic,
> metal and glass. You decide if you want said product or you don't.
> Thinking they care about you, photography, or anything else is naive.
>
> Steve

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:24:05 AM

>From: "John Doe" john_doe@nospam.com

>I don't make excuses for their
>sloppy work just so I can feel better about being stupid enough to buy
>something before it works correctly. Anyone that does is a dumb ass.

I KNOW you didn't just call me a dumbass!

Btw, my 20D works great. How's your 8.2MP camera?
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:47:45 AM

> >From: "John Doe" john_doe@nospam.com
>
>>I don't make excuses for their
>>sloppy work just so I can feel better about being stupid enough to buy
>>something before it works correctly. Anyone that does is a dumb ass.
>
> I KNOW you didn't just call me a dumbass!
>
> Btw, my 20D works great. How's your 8.2MP camera?

Despite my earlier rant, I have never had the slightest issue with my 20D
and it is the most fun camera I have ever owned. Did I mention it takes
pictures almost as good as film and I can shoot and shoot and shoot without
worrying about the cost of film and processing?

Steve
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 6:50:03 AM

John Doe wrote:
> It has nothing to do with business. It has everything to do with what stupid
> consumers let the companies get away with. I company will only do what will
> make them money. If that means consumers are willing to over look bugs in a
> product and buy it then that is what the company will do.
>
> Myself, I choose to get what I pay for and when it comes to hardware that is
> hardware without major design flaws or bugs. I don't make excuses for their
> sloppy work just so I can feel better about being stupid enough to buy
> something before it works correctly. Anyone that does is a dumb ass.

Your arrogance is unparalleled; or is it pride?

Phil
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:41:13 AM

Neither, I choose not to be screwed. If your in to anal more power to you!

> John Doe wrote:
>> It has nothing to do with business. It has everything to do with what
>> stupid consumers let the companies get away with. I company will only do
>> what will make them money. If that means consumers are willing to over
>> look bugs in a product and buy it then that is what the company will do.
>>
>> Myself, I choose to get what I pay for and when it comes to hardware that
>> is hardware without major design flaws or bugs. I don't make excuses for
>> their sloppy work just so I can feel better about being stupid enough to
>> buy something before it works correctly. Anyone that does is a dumb ass.
>>

> Your arrogance is unparalleled; or is it pride?
>
> Phil

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:11:10 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:50:53 GMT, "John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com>
wrote:

>It has nothing to do with business. It has everything to do with what stupid
>consumers let the companies get away with. I company will only do what will
>make them money. If that means consumers are willing to over look bugs in a
>product and buy it then that is what the company will do.
>
>Myself, I choose to get what I pay for and when it comes to hardware that is
>hardware without major design flaws or bugs. I don't make excuses for their
>sloppy work just so I can feel better about being stupid enough to buy
>something before it works correctly. Anyone that does is a dumb ass.
>
>John

What camera did you buy that's perfect?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

I didn't say perfect. I said a camera whose features don't have bugs. No
camera is perfect there is always some feature or another that is missing or
weak. What I said was a camera whose features work and that don't have bugs.
There is a big difference.

As for which one...well <blushing badly> the Canon 20D. Yep, that's right
the 20D. Oh, god I guess I am in to Anal. 8^)

John
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 11:04:39 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:04:38 GMT, "John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I didn't say perfect. I said a camera whose features don't have bugs. No
>camera is perfect there is always some feature or another that is missing or
>weak. What I said was a camera whose features work and that don't have bugs.
>There is a big difference.
>
>As for which one...well <blushing badly> the Canon 20D. Yep, that's right
>the 20D. Oh, god I guess I am in to Anal. 8^)
>
>John

If every camera has "some feature or another that is missing or weak",
then every camera has bugs. It's the nature of the beast.
Then, you bought a camera that has bugs.
Why blush when you mention you bought a 20D?
Oh, I see.
"I don't make excuses for their sloppy work just so I can feel better
about being stupid enough to buy something before it works correctly.
Anyone that does is a dumb ass."
IOW, you've pronounced yourself to be a dumb ass.
OK, I see now.
Thanks.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak (a
feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking about
a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D causes
error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D locks up
and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D has banding
problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not missing or weak
features.

It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that has
turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue moon.
That type of thing.

Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps saying
they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is the
problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my camera
which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade again and
having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time to have them
do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed is the problem.

John
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 10:58:48 PM

> No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak
> (a feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking
> about a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D
> causes error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D
> locks up and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D
> has banding problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not
> missing or weak features.
>
> It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that
> has turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue
> moon. That type of thing.
>
> Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps
> saying they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is
> the problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my
> camera which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade again
> and having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time to
> have them do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed is
> the problem.
>
> John

If your 20D has all those problems, you should send it in to be repaired.
Mine has none of the problems that you mention. So far, after only about
1700 shots, I have had zero problems. Other than the fact that I am a lousy
photographer, that is. It doesn't pick those perfect shots and I can't seem
to compose them. Out of the 1700, I am truly impressed with maybe 25-30 -
from a composition point of view, that is.

Don Dunlap
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 10:58:48 PM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:58:47 GMT, "John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com>
wrote:

>No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak (a
>feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking about
>a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D causes
>error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D locks up
>and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D has banding
>problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not missing or weak
>features.
>
>It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that has
>turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue moon.
>That type of thing.
>
>Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps saying
>they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is the
>problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my camera
>which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade again and
>having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time to have them
>do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed is the problem.
>
>John

And yet there ar emany (in fact, most) 20D owners who don't have those
problems at all.
This makes the problems not generic to the model, but individual
problems with specific samples.

I'm sorry you had these problems. I really am. I wish I could buy a
20D and have the opportunity to have the same problems! ;-)
But I realize we live in an imperfect world, and that problems happen.
I also realize that the owners of a company like Canon simply will not
let engineering hold a product back until it meets all of their
criteria; if they did, very few new products would come onto the
market.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:14:31 -0500, "Don Dunlap"
<dondunlapleavit@direcway.com> wrote:

>"John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak
>> (a feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking
>> about a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D
>> causes error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D
>> locks up and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D
>> has banding problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not
>> missing or weak features.
>>
>> It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that
>> has turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue
>> moon. That type of thing.
>>
>> Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps
>> saying they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is
>> the problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my
>> camera which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade again
>> and having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time to
>> have them do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed is
>> the problem.
>>
>> John
>>

>If your 20D has all those problems, you should send it in to be repaired.
>Mine has none of the problems that you mention. So far, after only about
>1700 shots, I have had zero problems. Other than the fact that I am a lousy
>photographer, that is. It doesn't pick those perfect shots and I can't seem
>to compose them. Out of the 1700, I am truly impressed with maybe 25-30 -
>from a composition point of view, that is.
>
>Don Dunlap

It is apparent that your composition chip is bad. Don't bother looking
for any firmware updatse as Canon does not even recognise the problem
yet. I had similar problems with an older film camera (not restricted
only to digital) However, I find mine just faded away after time.
December 20, 2004 3:28:15 AM

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:58:47 GMT, "John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The 20D has banding
>>problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not missing or weak
>>features.

Such banding issues have been a problem since the D30.

Numerous other problems with my D30 have made me reluctant to buy a D60, 10D
or 20D (especially when the biggest bugbear - the banding - has been widely
reported at dpreview.com).

Si.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:27:59 AM

ZONED! wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:14:31 -0500, "Don Dunlap"
> <dondunlapleavit@direcway.com> wrote:
>

>>"John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak
>>>(a feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking
>>>about a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D
>>>causes error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D
>>>locks up and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D
>>>has banding problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not
>>>missing or weak features.
>>>
>>>It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that
>>>has turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue
>>>moon. That type of thing.
>>>
>>>Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps
>>>saying they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is
>>>the problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my
>>>camera which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade again
>>>and having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time to
>>>have them do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed is
>>>the problem.
>>>
>>>John
>>>

>>If your 20D has all those problems, you should send it in to be repaired.
>>Mine has none of the problems that you mention. So far, after only about
>>1700 shots, I have had zero problems. Other than the fact that I am a lousy
>>photographer, that is. It doesn't pick those perfect shots and I can't seem
>>to compose them. Out of the 1700, I am truly impressed with maybe 25-30 -
>
>>from a composition point of view, that is.
>
>>Don Dunlap
>>

> It is apparent that your composition chip is bad. Don't bother looking
> for any firmware updatse as Canon does not even recognise the problem
> yet. I had similar problems with an older film camera (not restricted
> only to digital) However, I find mine just faded away after time.

N.B. See thread on PS plugins to fix, as this can now all be done in
"post production" with the right plugins. No skills required!

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:28:15 -0000, "Si" <insert@addresshere.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:58:47 GMT, "John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The 20D has banding
>>>problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not missing or weak
>>>features.
>
>Such banding issues have been a problem since the D30.
>
>Numerous other problems with my D30 have made me reluctant to buy a D60, 10D
>or 20D (especially when the biggest bugbear - the banding - has been widely
>reported at dpreview.com).
>
>Si.

Actually, I didn't write that.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

It has already been in for repair, the simply updated the firmware from 1.02
to 1.05.

John

"Don Dunlap" <dondunlapleavit@direcway.com> wrote in message

> "John Doe" <john_doe@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak
>> (a feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking
>> about a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D
>> causes error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D
>> locks up and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D
>> has banding problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not
>> missing or weak features.
>>
>> It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that
>> has turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue
>> moon. That type of thing.
>>
>> Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps
>> saying they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is
>> the problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my
>> camera which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade
>> again and having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time
>> to have them do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed
>> is the problem.
>>
>> John
>>

> If your 20D has all those problems, you should send it in to be repaired.
> Mine has none of the problems that you mention. So far, after only about
> 1700 shots, I have had zero problems. Other than the fact that I am a
> lousy photographer, that is. It doesn't pick those perfect shots and I
> can't seem to compose them. Out of the 1700, I am truly impressed with
> maybe 25-30 - from a composition point of view, that is.
>
> Don Dunlap

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:01:51 PM

I don't agree. I suspect most people with the 20D either haven't run in to
the problem yet or are simply in denial.

John

!