Sign in with
Your question

Was Fermi a paper launch or did it just sell out in minutes?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2010 8:25:42 PM

I've been waiting to buy a GTX 480 for months and now that we made it to the release date, I don't see any available. I signed up for auto notify weeks ago on EVGA's site and haven't received any notifications. So did it sell out in the blink of an eye or never really launch?
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:31:52 PM

It was a paper launch or an end of NDA. Expect to see them out on shelves some time soon.
m
l
April 12, 2010 8:32:47 PM

teknic111 said:
I've been waiting to buy a GTX 480 for months and now that we made it to the release date, I don't see any available. I signed up for auto notify weeks ago on EVGA's site and haven't received any notifications. So did it sell out in the blink of an eye or never really launch?

The GTX 470 and 480 officially started selling today - people have them in their home rigs and have started benchmarking. If we are to believe the information about supply shortages, it is entirely possible they could have sold out before any automated notices would have been sent. They aren't expecting a ton of availability until early summer, I believe. I'd imagine a lot of supply was snapped up with preorders. as well.

In any event, the cards are officially on the market - they're just going to be hard to get a hold of for a while. Sorry to hear that you weren't able to grab one today, but keep your eyes open - future shipments should be trickling in constantly from here on out. Good luck!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:38:02 PM

My bad. I thought that they were talking about the NDA lift that happnened some time ago.

I need a vacation.

The cards are officially out, but is sold out. They said that they were going to be in short supply. Later on in the year, they should be in greater supply, but no one knows when for sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:57:23 PM

They were available I believe and sold out in minutes. Some of the EVGA's still have an ETA of 4/12, so they might get some more stock available for sale today, but who knows.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 9:37:02 PM

From what I've heard, a retailer has been able to sell them as soon as they got them. There was no stockup for a big release. If you really want one keep an eye out as they should be slowly trickling in.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 9:38:16 PM

I'm pretty sure Newegg had some today, but sold out extremely fast.
m
l
April 12, 2010 9:47:40 PM

newegg still has some in stock ATM...

350 for a 470, and only 480 is 550 bucks EVGA Super Clocked Version.

Today is the actual hard launch so you should be able to find some and get one if you want it. Though just like ATIs 58xx's it probably will be hard to find them in vast numbers for a little bit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 9:51:50 PM

They actually just got a bunch BACK in stock.
Gigabyte and EVGA shipments must have just come in.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 10:07:31 PM

$350 is pretty good for a 470. Not bad at all considering the performance. $550 for the 480 is a bit steep though.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 10:18:44 PM

It's a bit of both. It seems nVidia shipped out less than 10k units, total, worldwide.... Anyway, Newegg didn't have any this morning, but has two GTX 470s right now. Anyway, if you want one, you need to buy them as soon as they are available. I wouldn't count on nVidia to produce too many more as the are now. If they are as expensive to make as I think they are, and as the rumor mill claims, then they are making little to no money on these things, so it's not good business to put out too many. Hopefully nVidia will have a B revision of the chip with much higher yields and better thermals, but even if that's so we wouldn't see such cards till late-summer at the earliest.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 10:19:03 PM

I'd probably say even $500 is a little steep for the GTX480, but then again, I'd like to see the 5870 at $350-375, so yeah.
m
l
April 13, 2010 12:31:56 AM

flyinfinni said:
I'm pretty sure Newegg had some today, but sold out extremely fast.

Faith in humanity has been shaken.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 5:00:32 PM

lol. BTW- I like your sig Bob :-)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 4:58:05 PM

OOS again:-) they come into stock, and are gone almost immediately.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 1:53:44 AM

The pricey 480 is in stock and ready to be bought. The better priced 470 though is the harder of the two to get.
m
l
April 15, 2010 2:30:56 AM

soundefx said:
The pricey 480 is in stock and ready to be bought. The better priced 470 though is the harder of the two to get.

Really, where? I want a 480. The 470 is the only one I've seen in stock... Newegg

Please post a link to the 480 in stock. Thanks!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 5:33:43 PM

Head over to HardOCP teknic- they've got a nice stock checker thing going on with the companies they deal with:
www.hardOCP.com
m
l
!