Upgrade worth it? New mobo and 2x 4890?

G

I've got a q9550 OC'd to 3.4ghz (I know it's my motherboard limiting the overclock with it's non-official support for c2q) on a gigabyte board with a radeon 4890.

I'm wondering, would this be a good upgrade?
- Going to a new motherboard that can push my q9550 further (hopefully to 4ghz) and getting a 2nd radeon 4890 for crossfire.

Or should I just wait until new tech comes for a whole system upgrade 2-3 years down the road?

smite_me

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

you have a good point sir but he will be stuck with pretty much old tech and the next upgrade he will probably be taking is 3 years from now. further more power hungry cf

set up and ati cf driver problems could be stumbling blocks down the road... just my 2 cents :D

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I've really had no problems with ATI Crossfire, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about that. The only thing is that in 3 years time, I have a feeling DX11 is gonna be a pretty real deal, and you'll be wishing you had it before then- might not be, but thats my guess as it really does change a few things. Also- if you are going to get a new Mobo, then you might as well just get a new CPU as well. No point in upgrading an old mobo to another old mobo- too much money to be worth it. Save money now, and get a new system and DX 11 sooner.

Realy?

I ahd thoguh used proces went up from 150$ to like 175$ each.

G

What would you guys recommend for a motherboard as the best chance to get my q9550 to 4ghz, I have a cooler that could handle it I need a motherboard that can and some luck. I'm stuck at 3.4ghz with this old gigabyte 965p-ds3.

If I'm sticking to ddr2, is crossfire not worth it on these mobos?

I have been looking at the benchies... 2x 4890s do pretty damn well, and my current 4890 can do 950/1150.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
2x4890's is truly a killer amount of power. They were a killer deal too going for $200 new. If you can get a second for a good price, go for it. I just avoid buying used, so as cards get harder to find at retail they sorta fall out of my view a bit:)
Get a good brand x38 or x48 board and you should be set. DDR2 version would be best so you don't have to replace your RAM, but yeah.