SATA III Trayless rack

Tags:
  • SATA
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2012 7:26:50 PM

I'm looking for a decent trayless rack that will connect via SATA III 6Gb/s and support SATA III hard drives. There don't seem to be all that many options that are SATA III capable. I searched around, and after reading a lot of reviews (admitadly mostly on Newegg), I settled on this one:

ICY DOCK MB671SK-BB Tray-less 3.5" SATA I, II & III

While the reviews aren't the best, it seems to be about the best option I could find. I installed it the other day, have a couple complaints and was wondering if there is a better option that doesn;t cost a fortune.

Things I don't like about this one:
1. The fan is always on, and is loud. Even if there is no drive in the bay, the fan is on. Seems unnecessary.
2. Can't turn it off. I think it would be a nice feature to be able to turn it off when not in use so that it isn't unnecessarily spinning the drive or fan.

Can anyone recommend a trayless dock with these features:
1. Either controls the fan speed, or allows the user to do so
2. Fan does not operate if there is no drive in the bay
3. Can be turned off when not needed (while leaving the HHD in
4. SATA III

More about : sata iii trayless rack

a c 84 G Storage
June 26, 2012 8:29:22 PM

Look at this http://www.datoptic.com/ec/sata-tray-less-fan-mobile-ra...[/url" target="_blank">

Has NSS - non scratch SATA connection
Shock and vibration absorber
very quite and close proximity to the HDD therefore no needs for high RPM

Yes, some time you have to look out side the box.

m
l
June 27, 2012 3:37:25 AM

Never heard of that brand or site. I generally stay away from anything I've never heard of. The reviews seem a bit canned. But for $20 I might be willing to give it a try.

The more I sit hear listening to the fan in the Icy Dock, the more I want to send it back to Newegg. It's by far the loudest fan in my computer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 G Storage
June 27, 2012 6:38:23 PM

Agree!... But not all the well know firm has good stuff, they have junk some time... like MS: Windows Vista :-)

I use these tray, there is nothing like it outhere - google the company then you will see
m
l
June 27, 2012 7:49:21 PM

I did find this one that might be worth a try as well:

StarTech HSB110SATBK

That one is more expensive, but I like the feature where you can turn it on or off using the key. I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost, with this one being $44 with shipping, and the one you recommend being only $26 with shipping on Amazon.

Maybe I'll stick with the cheaper one since you said it was quite...

Thanks for the help.
m
l
a c 84 G Storage
June 27, 2012 8:07:24 PM

StarTech tray-less has a locking mechanism. It's not an ON/OFF switch.

Yes it is too high of a cost
m
l
June 28, 2012 3:22:22 AM

Well, unless the reviewers are lieing, the the key lock also acts as an on/off switch. When the bay is unlocked, the power is turned off. When it is locked, the power is on. I like that feature, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost.
m
l
!