I'm looking for a decent trayless rack that will connect via SATA III 6Gb/s and support SATA III hard drives. There don't seem to be all that many options that are SATA III capable. I searched around, and after reading a lot of reviews (admitadly mostly on Newegg), I settled on this one:
While the reviews aren't the best, it seems to be about the best option I could find. I installed it the other day, have a couple complaints and was wondering if there is a better option that doesn;t cost a fortune.
Things I don't like about this one:
1. The fan is always on, and is loud. Even if there is no drive in the bay, the fan is on. Seems unnecessary.
2. Can't turn it off. I think it would be a nice feature to be able to turn it off when not in use so that it isn't unnecessarily spinning the drive or fan.
Can anyone recommend a trayless dock with these features:
1. Either controls the fan speed, or allows the user to do so
2. Fan does not operate if there is no drive in the bay
3. Can be turned off when not needed (while leaving the HHD in
4. SATA III
That one is more expensive, but I like the feature where you can turn it on or off using the key. I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost, with this one being $44 with shipping, and the one you recommend being only $26 with shipping on Amazon.
Maybe I'll stick with the cheaper one since you said it was quite...
Well, unless the reviewers are lieing, the the key lock also acts as an on/off switch. When the bay is unlocked, the power is turned off. When it is locked, the power is on. I like that feature, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost.