Solved

Finicky Third Display (5830)

Hey all,

This isn't a major issue, but an annoying one. I've got an XFX 5830 and I have three displays rigged to it. My main monitor and HDTV work just fine, but my third display is a bit finicky. What I mean by finicky is that when I boot my computer, the monitor will be stuck in a low resolution (640x320 or something like that) and I cannot adjust it in Windows or through Catalyst. The only way I can get the monitor to go to full resolution is by yanking out the display port to VGA adapter (passive) and putting it back in. Once I do that, it works just fine in regard to going to full resolution throughout the duration of my "up time" on the computer.

I have the latest driver from ATI for the 5830 (Catalyst 10.2), but I am not sure if the driver for the 5830 is up to par like the rest of the 5800 series. Would perhaps going to Catalyst 10.3 be a solution, if perhaps, I can even do that? The display I am having issues with is an "old" Dell 17 inch (i.e. it only has a VGA port on it).

Again, it is not a major deal, but any assistance would be appreciated to deal with this pesky issue.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about finicky display 5830
  1. Best answer
    It's cuase you have a passive display port thing.
  2. I thought that you only needed an active display port adapter when going to DVI and not VGA?
  3. You use VGA, I'm not 100% sure about that.
  4. After doing a fair amount of looking around, it seems like it is hit and miss with passive display port to VGA adapters, i.e. some work good, others do not. I may try a different monitor to see if that works (probably not though). Either way, it isn't too problematic right now.
  5. Best answer selected by buwish.
  6. Try checking Ati's Eyefinity certified list of dongols.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Resolution Monitors Graphics Displays