Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Problem/Pop/Failure

Last response: in Components
July 18, 2010 6:18:54 PM

OK heres the deal. My brother in law works at intel, and a couple of years ago he gave me the q6700 CPU which I then built a computer around, using an ASUS p5e motherboard...

well about two months ago all my USB ports started dying and I figured it was time for a new motherboard.

so I buy a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L to replace it. Got it in and everything, hooked it up, but on power on, I get the BIOS warning that indicated there was a power error. I reseated everything, hooked it back up, and again got the error..

welll after that happened I Started looking at te Power Supply Specs. turns out that the 4 pin connector was NOT a p4 or 12vatx but instead was an EPS12v(and the psu literature said that hooking it up would possibly cause damage to the motherboard)..so I went out and bought a PSU with the appropriate connectors, got it hooked up, hit the power button and I get a POP followed by ... nothing. No smell or anyting ,just dead...

reseated everything, and hit the power button again... a brief flicker of the diagnostic light and then silence/death..

my best guess is that I had damaged the board the night before when I ateempted to hook the wrong connector into the 4 pin ATX12v...

so I bought a new GIgabyte..should be here tomorrow.

what would cause this??? I have the standoffs installed correctly. is there something i can put between the standoffs and the mobo to keep from getting shorts?

do you suspect it is another problem??

help!

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 18, 2010 8:40:45 PM

Be sure the 4 pin connector isn't off the 24 pin; most have 4 pins that can break off for older 20 pin atx boards. My 4 pin connectors have always had yellow and black wires.
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:30:45 AM

o1die said:
Be sure the 4 pin connector isn't off the 24 pin; most have 4 pins that can break off for older 20 pin atx boards. My 4 pin connectors have always had yellow and black wires.

ok...but what would cause the pop/shut down problem?

the 4 pin was not off the 24 pin...

anyone??
m
l
!