Sign in with
Your question

1080P HD TV and graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2010 10:40:56 PM

Im looking into buying a graphics card for my new build... after my first post i was told the 5870 was my best bet because i dont have the extra money for the 5970 or atleast right now. So my question has to do with refresh rates and 1080p.. I use a HD TV for my PC and the refresh rate is 120hz but its not 3d ready and the max resolution is 1080p what card could i buy that i can still have all the eye candy but i dont need top of the line for higher resolutions because my TV is only 1080p how does all this play together whats the max im going to get? please explain how your monitors get such a high reloution but my tv cant... i do understand the formats, 1080p is 1080p and the tv will not allow me to go above so thats why i think a top of the line card is really overkill... Anyones help on understanding HD TVs and PC use would really help

in short... is the 5770 a good buy because of my TVs relosution or should i still stick with the 5870 im not very picky but i wont buy somthing i have no use for but the difference is $200 so its kind of important to know

More about : 1080p graphics cards

April 12, 2010 10:44:32 PM

Im a newb so sorry for the bad vocab and spelling
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 12:09:02 AM

it will be fine but no AA in crysis warhead
and you want AA on a big screen Im currently playing on a 46" sony @ 1080P
and I wish I had a better card
all other games are great
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2010 2:18:20 AM

spentshells said:
it will be fine but no AA in crysis warhead
and you want AA on a big screen Im currently playing on a 46" sony @ 1080P
and I wish I had a better card
all other games are great

With such high resolutions AA is not needed because the whole purpose of Anti-aliasing is to smooth out the edges of objects but at such high resolutions this problem is not present due to the high pixel density and turning on AA will drastically lower performance for no benifit so ya, leave AA off.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 5:19:54 AM

aaron686 said:
With such high resolutions AA is not needed because the whole purpose of Anti-aliasing is to smooth out the edges of objects but at such high resolutions this problem is not present due to the high pixel density and turning on AA will drastically lower performance for no benifit so ya, leave AA off.

Although what you said about AA killing framerate is deffinately true
the smoothing function of AA is better on a big screen as the objects are bigger

scan a picture and zoom in notice the edges of everything go into photoshop add AA
to smoth the edges of anything curved

AA is the smoothing of block like corners of a supposedly smooth object (curved objects)
on the larger screen edges between objects are longer and will be more obvious on a larger screen
.... myabe you're inverting this
or perhaps it is only that way with crysis........and graphic design
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 2:44:45 PM

I run my gaming pc (ati 5870) on a Panasonic Viera plasma 50" 1080p tv via hdmi to my amp and amp to the tv. Its kickass playing on a large screen and with kickass surround.

Only problem is i have to move the couch closer to the tv within 4ft when i play some games with smaller detail, i.e. the circle map in gta4. Originally the couch is about 7ft away but oh well, not much of a hassle to move it. I did think of a magnifying glass but that didn’t workout too well :) 
Any 1080p tv with hdmi/dvi should arguably run at a pc’s resolution of 1900*1080 at its rated hertz range.
What are you doing for a mouse & keyboard? If you haven’t thought about that yet, i suggest going Bluetooth. I'm using Logitech mx5500 kb and Microsoft mouse, both Bluetooth with no problems with response.
m
l
April 15, 2010 10:13:25 PM

2121833,3,120436 said:
And the reason your going with a HDTv instead of a computer monitor? Make sure your tv supports pc resolution of 1920 x 1080, some dont. To ensure that res use a hdmi cable not the VGA port. A single 5870 is more than enough for that res, I have one using a 1920 x1200 computer monitor. A 5870 could handle 2560 x 1600 res easily as well but most people dont have or can afford $1500 for one of those monitors so they stick with whats affordable $250 - $400 monitors. A 5770 is a lighter version of a 5870 and would also work well with your res. Just be cautious of your TVs support of native computer res make sure it supports it.

Well i dont know i just googled it and didn't see much.... Toshiba Regza 40xv645u... one thing i notice is when i put my PC on 1080p the screen is outside the tv and i have to resize to 1900 x 1064 or somthing like that its not alot bigger very small amount but i was asuming that my Vcard....

but my question is i want all the eye candy i can get but my TV only supports 1080p is a 5870 the way to go or can i get away with the 5770 i really dont want to spend 230$ more on a card that is way to fast than what i need but if its a good investment all save up and do it...
m
l
April 15, 2010 10:17:45 PM

boju said:
I run my gaming pc (ati 5870) on a Panasonic Viera plasma 50" 1080p tv via hdmi to my amp and amp to the tv. Its kickass playing on a large screen and with kickass surround.

Only problem is i have to move the couch closer to the tv within 4ft when i play some games with smaller detail, i.e. the circle map in gta4. Originally the couch is about 7ft away but oh well, not much of a hassle to move it. I did think of a magnifying glass but that didn’t workout too well :) 
Any 1080p tv with hdmi/dvi should arguably run at a pc’s resolution of 1900*1080 at its rated hertz range.
What are you doing for a mouse & keyboard? If you haven’t thought about that yet, i suggest going Bluetooth. I'm using Logitech mx5500 kb and Microsoft mouse, both Bluetooth with no problems with response.

All in good time getting this going one by one, few months ago i didn't know anything... bought the parts myself put them together myself learning with help... THANKS ;-) my TV is the same as that but i also want to play on my HD20 at 300" 1080p but i need the right card i think ill just stop being a B**** and get the 5870 i cant afford anything more
m
l
April 15, 2010 10:19:45 PM

Quote:
And the reason your going with a HDTv instead of a computer monitor? Make sure your tv supports pc resolution of 1920 x 1080, some dont. To ensure that res use a hdmi cable not the VGA port. A single 5870 is more than enough for that res, I have one using a 1920 x1200 computer monitor. A 5870 could handle 2560 x 1600 res easily as well but most people dont have or can afford $1500 for one of those monitors so they stick with whats affordable $250 - $400 monitors. A 5770 is a lighter version of a 5870 and would also work well with your res. Just be cautious of your TVs support of native computer res make sure it supports it.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC053152.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC05311copy2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC05079.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC05348ps.jpg

BY the way man... Nice set up im glad to know there are other gamers that are not slobs
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 4:06:52 AM

hotyamaha06 said:
2121833,3,120436 said:

Well i dont know i just googled it and didn't see much.... Toshiba Regza 40xv645u... one thing i notice is when i put my PC on 1080p the screen is outside the tv and i have to resize to 1900 x 1064 or somthing like that its not alot bigger very small amount but i was asuming that my Vcard....

but my question is i want all the eye candy i can get but my TV only supports 1080p is a 5870 the way to go or can i get away with the 5770 i really dont want to spend 230$ more on a card that is way to fast than what i need but if its a good investment all save up and do it...
said:

For what you want to do, a 5870 would be ideal. Also more video memory on a decent card the better once you start heading towards hi-definition resolutions. If you can pick up one of those with 2gig vram you'll be laughing.

I’m running the 1gig version since buying one when they first came out and have been very happy with it, though having an extra gig vram would have been a blessing but oh well, i'll end up giving this to my old man once the 5890's come out eventually.

What operating system were you using when you tried your pc on the tv? I had problems with win xp straight off the bat. There are settings in video properties for that kind of thing but i don’t know too much about that. All i know is when i first built my pc with windows 7, it just worked ;D no messing around... i just plugged in the hdmi cable and up it came properly scaled. It even knew what tv it was. Xp probably detected too but never bothered to look.

The reason i asked regarding mouse&keyboard is depending on how far away you plan to sit, the usual wireless stuff only has a range of 1.3m and are usually only good for desk jobs. Bluetooth has a range of 10m+ to even over a 100m depending on the Bluetooth receiver (10-15 dollars worth for a 10m usb receiver) Check to see if your motherboard has one embedded also, might be a good one if it has :) 
m
l
April 20, 2010 10:39:02 PM

boju said:
For what you want to do, a 5870 would be ideal. Also more video memory on a decent card the better once you start heading towards hi-definition resolutions. If you can pick up one of those with 2gig vram you'll be laughing.

I’m running the 1gig version since buying one when they first came out and have been very happy with it, though having an extra gig vram would have been a blessing but oh well, i'll end up giving this to my old man once the 5890's come out eventually.

What operating system were you using when you tried your pc on the tv? I had problems with win xp straight off the bat. There are settings in video properties for that kind of thing but i don’t know too much about that. All i know is when i first built my pc with windows 7, it just worked ;D no messing around... i just plugged in the hdmi cable and up it came properly scaled. It even knew what tv it was. Xp probably detected too but never bothered to look.

The reason i asked regarding mouse&keyboard is depending on how far away you plan to sit, the usual wireless stuff only has a range of 1.3m and are usually only good for desk jobs. Bluetooth has a range of 10m+ to even over a 100m depending on the Bluetooth receiver (10-15 dollars worth for a 10m usb receiver) Check to see if your motherboard has one embedded also, might be a good one if it has :) 

Windows 7... um im not genuine LOL not sure if that matters but even with vista i never have issue with it working out of the box you just have to bring the resolution done a little....

no mine is form HP it sucks anyway but im good for 20 - 30 feet depending on line of sight (walls, windows, chairs anything that gets in the way droppes it)
and the 5970 is out but its 600$ not sure why i would need that it just seems like over kill for such a low resolution (1080p) instead of 2100p or 1600p like some mont./ ive seen...

as long as everyone agrees that with a TV being 1080p ill still need atleast a 5870?
m
l
!