Sign in with
Your question

Counterfeit electronics - Why I don't trust builders

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2010 7:34:10 PM

I'll just cut to the chase ...

In discussions on "Why You Should Build Your Own PC", One of the main reasons is maintaining control over the sources of your build.

Purchasing neW Retail/OEM components from the most reputable online suppliers provides "better" assurance that parts are genuine, and are not tainted.

Unscrupulous builders scour the asian markets for refurbished, reworked or un-certified components that can easily find their way into your "NEW" pre-built PC.

This article (inquirer.net) references a PC WORLD MAGAZINE article on the subject of "iffy" components.

The last two paragraphs, pretty much, sum it up. I will paste those, immediately following this link.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1636156/counte...

Most of the bent goods are coming from the grey market - parts not approved by the original manufacturer - or through the green market, which offers refurbished or second-hand goods.

The goods are often traded as new at Internet brokerages, according to the magazine. ยต

********* END QUOTE ***********

= Alvin =
May 12, 2010 11:28:05 PM

Well good builders will use quality parts, some like AVAdirect even let you specify the exact model of the part you want.

Still, much cheaper to just build your own rig ^^
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2010 11:54:46 PM

^ True that.

At any rate, people WOULD have noticed if manufactures (ie Cyberpower) did this. (At least I hope so...).

HOWEVER I WILL say this: A few years back, there was a flood of counterfeit caps that affected a lot of manufactures, including Gigabyte,ASUS,etc.
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:49:15 AM

Sure ... I KNOW inq.net is a flaming rumor rag, but THEY were quoting/referencing PC World mag which, as you know, could not possibly be bought or swayed ... choke.

= Al =
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:54:21 AM

I found a fried Velocity Micro at the dumop the other day.

Suprise suprise, thier crappy 600W couldn't handle a GTX 280 SLI and a OC;d core 2 Extreme.

I was able to sell the cards, and the CPU :)  Everything else was KIA by the PSU.
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:31:23 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ True that.

At any rate, people WOULD have noticed if manufactures (ie Cyberpower) did this. (At least I hope so...).

HOWEVER I WILL say this: A few years back, there was a flood of counterfeit caps that affected a lot of manufactures, including Gigabyte,ASUS,etc.

Gigabyte caught a lot of flack and lost a lot of cred over this i remember
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:52:43 AM

Thus we have the forums, to keep on top of the good stuff, and learn what stuff to avoid.
The Enquirer, lmao.....
m
l
May 13, 2010 2:55:52 AM

Alvin Smith said:
This article (inquirer.net) references a PC WORLD MAGAZINE article on the subject of "iffy" components.

Just an FYI, http://inquirer.net/ is an actual news website of a Philippine broadsheet. "The Inquirer" however is the big red rag of tech news :D .
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:11:40 PM

I read thru the front page of theinquirer.net, at least once each week. For a tech, that is almost like SNL Weekend Update ... They try SO hard, to be clever and pithy that, like a bad car wreck, it can be difficult not to look.

It is on the list of news-worms that I scan and, tho they are not any sort of authority, they do seem to "catch wind" of (potentially) saucy developments, often before I see them in my custom google news-pages.

And, as an american, I am mildly amused at the "zany vectors" of the British vernacular ... MS is "The Vole" and Windows is "The Vole Tax" ... "Boffins" ... etc.
... I think I found that hilararious piece about NewEgg selling those "plastic plug" i7-920s with the "cooler fan sticker" on top ... at TheInq.net.

Sometimes I go to the DELL site, just to get a pricing benchmark on displays, of verious sizes ...

Anyway ... I like those whacky, zany rumor mongers and I have had lot's of fun, running down their sources.

= Alvin =
m
l
!