Are these temperatures ok, or way too hot??

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
bjbihv.jpg

This is just while the computer is idling. Well, one app open, nothing going on really. The case is well ventilated. There are two fans on the front, and one on the top.

The mobo (P5N-E SLI), doesn't seem to allow me to adjust fan speeds. Neither does Speedfan. Are those temps too hot? What should I do? Get a different fan, let them be...?

xaira

Distinguished
those core temps are insane, have you tried any other apps to try and read the temps?

if you try hwmonitor and everest with the same results, shutdown and reseat the heatsink, make sure all pushpins are in securely (click) and that the heatsink seems completely sturdy

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hrmmm I don't get it.

33yolnd.jpg

I took the heat sink off, cleaned it, and reapplied thermal paste. When I booted both the GPU and the Temp rose like 10 degrees. The other temperatures seem about the same...

I used a regular Arctic Alumina Ceramic thermal compound. Followed the directions on their site for the Core 2 Quad exactly. Do I need to give it time to break in again before temperatures level? Or did I just screw it up.

Also I'm in Socal, and it's really hot in my apartment with no AC. Room temperatures are between 80 and 90 degrees inside. Don't know if that makes a huge difference or not??

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Here's a reading with HWMonitor

2vw5ul0.jpg

Doesn't seem very different to me. Looks about the same. Ok I need some good advice, because I'd rather not ruin this PC (I don't know if running those temps long terms is dangerous or not... but I suspected that they were a little too high).

There are two fans on the front sucking in air, and one larger one on the top of the case blowing it out. The GPU has a rather large heat sink attached to some pipes. The CPU has a very typical looking heat sink, with a stock intel labeled fan.

Should I buy better quality thermal paste and reapply? Should I buy a bigger fan for the CPU? Do something else??

I'm able to follow directions when working on a PC, but I'm a noob when it comes to figuring out problems on my own.

xaira

Distinguished
that room temp is still not cause for 64* at idle, im guessing you are using the stock cooler

checklist

ensure any protective film on the cooler is removed

ensure the fins of the cooler are clean

ensure that the case exhaust fans are working and that the exhaust vents are clear of any debris

if the psu is the only exhaust, place ur hand by the fan to ensure it is pulling air out of the case in a desirable ammount

when installing the cooler, place a pea sized dab of thermal paste in the center of the cpu and allow the weight of the cooler to spread the paste as necessary

but first, open the side of the case and record the temps with the side off,

try this monitor also

ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.16-32bit.zip

ares1214

Splendid
that cpu fan is only at 2000-3000 rpm, for mine, thats pretty low, try bringing it up to about 4500 rpm. but aside from that, there is something else definitely wrong here. try re applying thermal paste, checking connections, putting the cpu/cpu fan in again

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

These temperatures are with the side of the case off. The exhaust fan is working and blowing out air. When I installed the heat sink, I applied a thin horizontal line (as specified by Arctic Silver for the Quad core, since the chip below the surface is more horizontal in width). The only thing I can think of is that I gave the heat sink a significant amount of pressure when applying it. Perhaps in doing so I smooshed the thermal paste and it got spread out too thin? I'm not greatly experienced with this, so I don't know if that could be the case, or if it would make a difference.

That looks like my heat sink. More or less. I can try turning off or lowering the speed of the intake fans.

Yeah it seems low compared with my last PC. I looked up my mobo specs, and found out there is no manual control for the fan speed. Nothing in Bios, no switch on the fan itself. :/ Should I just buy a different one? Would it make a difference? Think I'm gonna power it down for now and boot again in the evening when it's cooler. LA sucks right now, heat's unbearable.

Thanks for the replies! I'll check back in...

jomelsontanco

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I have the same problem as you. Insanely hot temps! If I were you I try checking out the underside of the fan for dried out cheap thermal paste. That's typically the problem for insanely hot cpus while still in idle or your cpu is one of a kind (defective) or you live in the desert. Try what ares1214 said, reapply the thermal paste and clean out your fan.

Koinos

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

Not if its the stock HSF. "The stock Intel Pentium D heatsink is built with an 84mm diameter fan that spins at speeds an est. 800-2600RPM." If anything the bios is pushing it to the limit to keep temps down.

I'd suggest double checking the bios to make sure your voltages are correct. That first screen capture has some strange voltages displayed, look at the -12V. The CPU VCORE looks to be at the top end of normal as well.
Confirm the fans are directional correct. Front and side fans should normally be pushing in air, everything else should exhaust.
And you can read this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030615.htm :sleep:

Doubt you could have squeezed out the thermal paste. Biggest problem is if you get air pockets as those create hot spots.

Yes, the hotter the room its in the hotter everything is going to be.

Found the thermal profile for your CPU
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/318726.pdf go to page 85. Looks like it maxes out at 76.3C

Give us a little more info on your rig, case, power supply, motherboard, etc. Can see the CPU, Video Card and Hard drive info.

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Koinos, thanks for your insight, and for the links. I'll be sure to give those a good look over.

Alright... I bought a new hsf. Nothing fancy, but the heatsink is much taller, and fan looks a little bigger. The thing came with some cheap thermal paste so I just decided to apply that (probably should have just bought some :/ ). Also bought a side-fan for a couple bucks (now it's got 6 fans total including PSU (lol.. staying pretty quite though). I also rearranged the HDDs down to the bottom of the case, so that they are out of the way of the GPU, now one of the fans in the front is hitting it directly. Temps down about 10C over all.

be9190.jpg

Ok. I didn't build this PC myself, it's a custom rig, got it off of someone else - so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33ghz
4GB DDR2 OCZ2G8001G Ram
Asus Pn5-e SLI board
Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS (512 DDR3)

Not sure about the PSU.

So should I bother trying to get the temperatures down further?

Btw, being an amateur, I don't know much about voltage (although I did increase my Ram voltage to get the system to boot and stay stable). Should I change the voltage for anything else?

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Well I noticed that temperatures definitely rise and fall within 5 or 6 degrees between the coolest, and hottest parts of the day. I'm thinking about getting a better case fan anyways, as I had a cheapo that broke pretty quickly. I'm still unsure about the voltage thing - so if anyone wants to provide some insight that'd be great.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
That voltage seems high if its idling, the VID range for the Q8200 is 0.8500V-1.3625V.

I'm currently on a Pentium Dual Core at idle and its showing at 1.06v, so that maybe one of your issues.

Also the P5N-e doesn't show any support for the Q8200 as far as I can see!

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

And so what is your suggestion? Can it be lowered, and if so - should it be?

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Looking at the CPU support list it seems the Q8200 is 'unsupported' which shows means that the board doesn't support some features due to chipset limitations or such like in the overvolting of the CPU thus causing higher temperatures. I know the Nvidia Intel chipset had issues with some core 2 quads.

To be sure send Asus an email, you'll find the contact form on their website.

If the worst comes to the worst its either a replacement board that does support the chip or another chip.

Either way stop using the computer otherwise irrepairable damage may occur to the CPU and/or board.

one2hit

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Yeah, the rear exhaust is working. The one on top is working as well. :/

I just lowered the voltage from 1.33 to 1.275

Didn't make any difference temperature wise, but hopefully it will keep the system a little more stable. I was still getting random freezing here and there.