Sign in with
Your question

New Motherboard = Blue Screen of Death!!

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2010 8:54:47 PM

Guys,

It would be great to get some help on this one. I have built a couple of new PCs before, but this is the first time I have upgraded the motherboard on an existing PC. I have just got hold of a intel i3 540, a compatible Gigabyte board, (P55M-UD2), and 4GB of Crucial Ballistix memory. I foolishly thought that the system would automatically detect the OS, (XP home Premium), on my hard drive, but then realised that a re-installation / repair would be needed. On inserting the Windows XP CD the system starts to load files, (I don't appear to be given any options), and when the message appears that Windows is starting, I get a 'blue screen' message along the lines that Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to the computer. And that appears to be my lot!

I can't get any further and any suggestions would be gratefully received.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2010 10:15:00 PM

It doesn't sound like you're even trying to boot from the disc. If that mobo has such a thing either make the SATA drives be in IDE mode or go learn how to slipstream the motherboard SATA drivers into the disc.

Try that stuff then come back.
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2010 11:55:10 PM

http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Since you have already tried to boot once with the new mobo you have to do this:

Put your old motherboard on and boot your system normaly (it will boot with your old motherboard). Then shutdown your PC and try the method in the article (Change to the new motherboard, Boot from CD, do not try to boot from your hard drive, choose repair from installation, etc etc). Take your time and read the article carefully!
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2010 3:12:59 AM

If you're gonna try his suggestion just breadboard it. There's no way I would ever take that kind of time to put it back in the case. (course with my track record so far I'd have already deployed it elsewhere or sold it)
May 13, 2010 6:14:28 AM

Thanks Guys. I will read through the article and try the suggestions. I didn't realise changing the motherboard would create so much hassle
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2010 6:29:07 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
If you're gonna try his suggestion just breadboard it. There's no way I would ever take that kind of time to put it back in the case. (course with my track record so far I'd have already deployed it elsewhere or sold it)

LOL, that is what i meant, unless he is a builder freak and likes to put back everything, then screw every little screw and put away the cables, for ... 2 minutes, lol!

Just bare build the mobo until you can boot into Windows with no problems.
!