Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Next Pc Upgrade for $60 - $100 HELP!

Last response: in Components
July 18, 2010 7:58:40 PM

Hello,
After 3 questions on Toms and a few more on other forums and many many pms about graphics cards to people, i finally decided on a gtx 460 768mb and ordered it yesterday so it will arrive on Wednesday - Friday. Now I have a few more questions: how should i spend the rest of my money? On September 20 i will recieve $60 for my pc upgrade. Ok so the parts i really require is a good USB Headset with mic for under $30. Please recomend me on some good USB headsets with mics under $30 for teamspeak. Now i have $30 reserved for that but I still have left over money! So heres the deal. For $30 i cant buy much but I am willing to sell parts. First my PC spec's as they will appear on Friday :p 

AMD Athlon X2 240 @ 3.0ghz
Wintec 2GB DDR2 800mhz Single stick ram
EVGA GTX 460 768mb DDR5
Cooler Master Hyper 101a Cooler
Cooler Master CM690 Nvidia case
Okia 550atx 550watt power supply (generic)
Biostar MCP6P M2+ v.6
Samsung 80GB Sata Hard drive

Okay so as you can see a nice budget system but some of these parts kill the system. Parts I would like to upgrade:

Hard drive (250GB, 320GB, 500GB depending on how much money i put into it)
Ram (Another Wintec 2GB DDR2 800mhz for 4GB Total)
Motherboard (a new motherboard am2+ or maybe to am3)
Power supply (cheap 650watt psu or 480watt for dual psus)

Ok so my motherboard only lets me overclock to 3.0ghz because it has serious compatibility issues with am3 cpus.

Option 1: Sell my motherboard for $40 for a total of $70 and buy a really nice NEW (maybe sli) $70 AM2+ board (like a 750a) so I can overclock to 4.0ghz which would give me a super fast boost in games while keeping the same exact ram.

Option 2: Sell my motherboard for $40 for a total of $70 and buy a nice USED $50 AM2+ board so I can overclock to 4.0ghz and an extra USED 1gb ddr2 for 3gb total.

Option 3: Sell my motherboard for $40, and my ram for $40 for a total of $110 and buy a nice $60 AM3 board so i can overclock to 4.0ghz and buy $50 2gb ddr3.

Option 4: Only sell my 80gb hard drive for $30, for a total of $60 and buy a 500gb hard drive.

Option 5: Only sell my 80gb hard drive for $30, for a total of $60 and buy a 160gb hard drive and 1gb ddr2.

Option 6: Buy a crappy used 2gb ddr2 for 4gb total.

Option 7: Buy a $15 power supply so i can use dual power supplies. And $15 on led fans ad sound cathodes!

Option 8: Sell absolutely everything except my new gtx 460 and my new cm690 case for a total of: $250 and get everything good like x3 710 or if enough cash x4 940!

Well im sorry you had to read all that must have taken a few hours :lol: 

Option 8 seems nice but its a hassel and takes a long time so only if its worth it. Option 7 is a cheap and easy choice that will be good but its boring and i dont like boring and I will see you performance boost. Option 6 is fine buy it will be used generic ram, at least it gives a performance boost. Option 5 is fine but 160gb is not enough for my liking. Option 4 is a good choice easy too, but will not give a performance boost in games. Option 3 is one of the best choices but like option 8 takes a long time and hassel. Option 2 is by far one of my favorite options, the only problem is if ddr2 is fast enough? Option 1 is more for pleasure because i like good quaility parts but still same ram wont be very good...

Thanks

give me ur opinions on your favorite option and why.

More about : upgrade 100

July 18, 2010 8:15:36 PM

some of the prices you expect to gain from selling parts are a bit high. $30 for a 80GB HDD? 500GB HDD go for $50 on newegg.

you desperately need a new HDD and PSU (not a $15 one!). Win XP is fine with 2GB RAM. Win7 and Vista could use more RAM but frankly investing in DDR2 RAM is a waste of money unless you fine it very cheap.

m
l
July 19, 2010 1:38:43 AM

I disagree about the hard drive. 80GB is reasonable because:
-There are people who don't need even the $45 320GB drives that are available so they will jump at the opportunity for a cheap hard drive because they don't need any more space.

I guess I will respond by each of your options:

1. Hmm... I wouldn't expect 4GHz. Besides, for $70 you can get a 3-core Athlon II processor at 2.9-3.0GHz. I'm going to assume you are gaming, since you didn't tell us what you are doing but you seemed to hint at it.

2. I'm a fan of used in general. Except hard drives. I got my 3870 for $40. 3GB is actually good enough, unless you want to max out crysis, which you can't with your GPU.

3. This might be the best option for future upgrades but... You never know what chipsets zambezi might be compatible with.

4. Unless you really need the space, there is no point.

5. 160GB really isn't much of an upgrade.

6. That's a good bet. I like this one.

7. Why? the LED and sound cathodes won't use much power. You have more than enough right now.

8. Great, but what about ram and a motherboard? If you can get at least an Athlon IIx3 with an AM3 motherboard and 4GB of DDR3 ram and a 500GB hard drive for only $250, then go for it. You can transfer that ram to your next build, if you build again in the next 3 years.

Personally, I wouldn't touch much. I'd save money for a complete new build in the future, minus the graphics card. I am very surprised that you can't overclock past 3.0GHz on your current motherboard.

If I were you, I would keep what you have now and wait until you have your next amount of computer upgrade funds. Especially since prices will always drop.
Based on your options, you are not desperate for a CPU upgrade to improve graphics performance so I'd stick it out. If you really need more hard drive space, I would get that though.
When you have the money for a new system, you can keep your case and graphics card and get everything else new. Then a year or 2 later, upgrade the graphics card.

That's my take, anyway :sol: 
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 1:53:21 AM

I agree with saving to buy a new system.

Don't ever get a cheap PSU

You could find a cheap USB external or internal harddrive.. save all your music and videos and install files to it, then reformat the 80gb, keep it CLEAN. Run CCleaner and MyDefrag on a regular basis.. keep only important programs installed on it, and 1 or 2 games at a time. Each phase of new installations.. run MyDefrag. Even though there is 80gb there, you don't have to use it all, and I would recommend using as little as possible if you're hardcore. Save everything you CAN to a 2nd drive. Keep the drive running at max performance and clean, and just keep saving your money and your files until you can put together a completely new fresh system. The GPU is a nice upgrade
m
l
July 19, 2010 2:59:21 AM

enzo matrix said:
I disagree about the hard drive.

great, when can he expect his $30 from you?? :ange: 
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:04:07 AM

I recently programmed some ipt computers for a local restaurant owner. He bought 3 computers from someone who had 1 80gb drive in each computer that he had build from buying used parts. Not sure if he purchased them from ebay or not.
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:13:14 AM

$30 bucks aint gonna happen for a used 80G ide drive, unless you find an absolute idiot. All your prices are insane, for the crap your trying to sell.
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:21:27 AM

ct1615 said:
great, when can he expect his $30 from you?? :ange: 

Why from me? I am simply stating that there are a lot of people out there who don't care much for over 40GB and would be willing to save $20 on a hard drive if they can. Not me, but people like home office workers or someone's grandmother. Tech enthusiasts don't just build computers for themselves. A year ago, a friend of mine spend $5 less getting a 160GB drive vs a 320GB drive because he didn't need the space for anything useful, with his computer uses. Still no need for him to upgrade. English professor who uses it for writing, surfing the web and email.
A grandmother I know still has not used up even half of her 40GB hard drive. And she has 2 installations of XP on there (don't ask me why).
The world does not consist of computer enthusiasts who need a lot of storage. Nor does it consist of people who build computers for only themselves.

$30 bucks aint gonna happen for a used 80G ide drive, unless you find an absolute idiot. All your prices are insane, for the crap your trying to sell.
Not from anyone like you, or most people on this forum. But definitely from the type of people I mentioned above. Of course and 80GB HDD is not worth $30, but why would certain people, like the ones I mentioned above, spend $20 extra on something they will never need?
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:35:53 AM

my point, $30 is reasonable for a select few.
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:00:31 AM

daship said:

allow me to introduce you to Enzo Matrix
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:03:03 AM

Who's an idiot selling a harddrive for 5 or 10 dollars when you can sell it for 30 dollars? It's a dog eat dog world, get with the times
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:10:27 AM

this might just be me, but when the f3 500 gig is selling for a gigabyte for 11 cents, and a 30$ 80 gig hdd thats not used from ebay is at 30$, or 38 cents a gig, grandma or not, but it makes sense to take the hit and buy the f3, not to mention the speed and technology boot!
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:13:11 AM

you can sell a used 80GB HDD for $30, 40, or $100, does not mean people will buy it.

here's a 9800GT for $220 (but free shipping) on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-PNY-nVidia-XLR8-GeForce-9800-...

does that mean people who sell that card for $80 are idiots??

dog eat dog applies to the idiot sellers and buyers, not just one...
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:25:41 AM

Yes, I know what it applies too. You shouldn't be so defensive. I am just showing links that this poster wasn't the first person to think an 80gb drive is worth $30. I also never stated that I've witnessed someone buying an 80gb drive for $30 dollars. Also, you can not say that someone wouldn't buy it for that price. So I don't know why you're poking around telling people they're wrong, as if you have the budget charts and thinking processes listed of every person in the world, calling people idiots, and stuff, like you got a bug up your sleeve.

Also, there are lots of "absolute idiots", as quoted from you above, in this world. Personally, I wouldn't call them idiots, as just because you don't understand how another person thinks does not make them an idiot, it just makes you ignorant at the point that you don't understand the misunderstanding going on in your own head, about other people.

m
l
July 19, 2010 4:56:17 AM

Blckhaze said:

Also, there are lots of "absolute idiots", as quoted from you above, in this world. Personally, I wouldn't call them idiots, as just because you don't understand how another person thinks does not make them an idiot, it just makes you ignorant at the point that you don't understand the misunderstanding going on in your own head, about other people.

when i want your opinion...i'll give it to you...
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:59:17 AM

Thanks for reading :D 
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:01:59 AM

ct1615 said:
when i want your opinion...i'll give it to you...

shouldnt it be "when i want your opinion...ill ask for it?" just saying.
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:10:24 AM

no, then I would have to read it. I'll let him know what to think.
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:22:53 AM

oh. well that was a fun argument, any way back on topic.
Quote:
this might just be me, but when the f3 500 gig is selling for a gigabyte for 11 cents, and a 30$ 80 gig hdd thats not used from ebay is at 30$, or 38 cents a gig, grandma or not, but it makes sense to take the hit and buy the f3, not to mention the speed and technology boot!
m
l
July 19, 2010 6:19:20 AM

How about this drive, hook it up as a secondary drive.

http://3btech.net/whlamadate321.html

It's off name brand, but I've heard good things about this retailer. So might be worth a shot to get a 320 gb drive for 33 bucks.
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:10:12 PM

oh. well that was a fun argument, any way back on topic.
Lol. Well looks like we've all agreed to disagree. I can't see any of us changing our minds.

ct1615 said:
allow me to introduce you to Enzo Matrix

Ok. That was out of line ct1615. You just moved from debating, to insulting.

Anyway, neonzion, I still think the best option is to save the money. But if you need the hard drive space, get a new hard drive. If you play games that need more ram, get more ram.

Actually I just got a new suggestion, if you are interested in spending more money, you can get better quality headsets for $60. I am no expert, but if someone else has some recommendations...
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:16:12 PM

Honestly, that was EXACTLY what i was thinking from the beginning about the headset. I just didn't want to say it because it has nothing to do with gaming performance mechanically

There is nothing worse about teamspeak with a room full of people, than having some person in there with a cheap headset, gargling out 100db sounds that no one can understand, and THEN not being able to turn off his mic while he's crunching chips in everyones ears!
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:38:19 PM

Hey guys im back and after reading all your responses I almost fell of my chair.... First my 80gb hdd is sata and I just sold 2 other 80gb hard drives 3 days ago. one ide 80gb for $25 not including ship, and a sata for $35 not including shipping, so its very possible.

ohiou_grad thanks man looks like a great deal :) 

second people if i bought a $15 power supply I would run it as my second power supply.... havent you guys ever heard of dual power supplies in one pc?? lol just connect a green and black cable and :o  theres a running power supply! I have done it many times before. I almost rofled my ass off when i read the gtx 460 cant max crysis put... wtf r u smoking man it can max crysis out at 1920x1080 :lol:  its perfectly fine for me. Also i would expect 4.0ghz and its very very possible for a x2 240!!! and btw my "crap" is priced below their price and they are almost new so its very very VERY easy to sell at the posted prices.... ALSO of course if i sold my cpu i would get a better one and not the same....

Space is important to me but not extremely. I completely filled a 160gb hard drive in 2 weeks... 250gb is fine i guess...

from ur replies heres the list now that i chose good being a choice i either really want/can easily get/need and etc...

option1: good
option2: very good
option3: less than good
option4: very good
option5: less than good
option6: good
option7: good
option8: good

I might just go with option 8 since that will give me the best performance, future proofing, amusing, and worth while upgrade...

I will just choose a used x4 425

thanks for the help anyways
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:51:52 PM

A 460 can't max Crysis on maximum settings. Sure it plays Crysis on the video games enthuseist settings at managable framerates. Two 460s could run it even smoother, with nvidia settings on the highest quality, at a higher resolution. I think thats what people are trying to say.

Good luck with your build and selling all that "crap"!
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:04:59 PM

neonzion said:
I will just choose a used x4 425

Lol. do you mean the x4 635 or the x3 425? Or do you mean an x3 425 guaranteed to unlock to an x4 stable?

Anyway, sounds like a good choice.
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:06:58 PM

how much are you buying it used for?
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:22:58 PM

On that 35 dollar drive, I think it's free shipping. In fact I think everything there is free shipping, even cases.
m
l
July 19, 2010 9:30:02 PM

wtf blckhaze :??: 

lol i didnt even realize i wrote x4 425... well if i choose 8 i will wait until October and get some more cash then i will get yes a x3 425 and unlock it, x4 640, or maybe if i have enough a x4 945 which will give me amazing performance!!!
m
l
July 19, 2010 9:31:34 PM

ares1214 said:
how much are you buying it used for?

idk yet, I know someone who works with pc component imports from Canada and Asia who can give me really cheap oem parts :D 

thanks
m
l

Best solution

July 19, 2010 10:09:20 PM

what? lol, Hey I just recently build a system with an athlon II X3 on one of them new MSI military certified boards and some gskill ram... Great price and REALLY great performance. I was really impressed. Just throwing out another idea for ya...

I'm not going to get in the same boat about the double power supply thing though... that seems kind of redneckish... like hanging an engine from a tree and stuff. ya know, whatever works, aye?!
July 24, 2010 1:58:09 PM

Best answer selected by neonzion.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:59:45 PM

Blckhaze said:
what? lol, Hey I just recently build a system with an athlon II X3 on one of them new MSI military certified boards and some gskill ram... Great price and REALLY great performance. I was really impressed. Just throwing out another idea for ya...

I'm not going to get in the same boat about the double power supply thing though... that seems kind of redneckish... like hanging an engine from a tree and stuff. ya know, whatever works, aye?!

hahahahaha redneckish rofl, im no redneck i can tell you that now... no deer/camo case mods for me :kaola: 

although i have used dual power supplies hundreds of times without a hitch... Fortunately i dont need it cuz my gtx 460 is running fine =)
m
l
July 24, 2010 2:03:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys, my system is running perfect now, so later im getting a 250gb/320gb hard drive (depends on price) and im going to get 1gb/2gb (depends on price)
:sol: 
m
l
July 25, 2010 6:09:19 AM

Awesome! What all did you do? Just mydefrag and ccleaner and uninstalls, or a reformat too? or hardware additions?

Just curious what worked for ya
m
l
!