I7 970 0ut at newegg

ares1214

Splendid
yeah. although to be honest, i think intel underpriced the 980x *ACCORDING TO THEIR OVER PRICING POLICY. they probably should have priced it at 1500$, making this price make more sense. all the same, they are all over priced, and intel has 3 cpus out right now, the i3 530, i5 750, and i7 930. maybe the 860 and 760 too.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
899. That is how much I wills pend on my 930 build, minus the OS. Seriousl 600 dollars against the 960/950 would be better. I will wait for sandy to poke her silicone head in 2011. In the meantime, i7 930 BABY!
Sandy Bridge wont be compatible with socket 1366 or 1156. Dont ask for a source its everywhere. Toms even had a little news article on it.

ares1214

Splendid
definitely. although from what ive seen so far, sandy bridge doesnt seem to upgrade too much on the i7 lineup. im sure it will be better, although im definitely guess the difference between bulldozer and thuban/deneb>nehalem and sandy bridge.

ares1214

Splendid
yeah, wasnt the last one k7 or something? either way, im not saying bd> sandy, it wouldnt surprise me, but more so that people who have an i7, they would notice a lesser difference from going from that to sandy, than people with a 955 (like myself) going to bd. lets not forget the last time amd came out with an entirely new architecture :D actually, over the past few years, intel and amd have been like the 3 original star wars films (YES im relating it to star wars :lol: ) first, amd comes out with a new architecture, and eats intel alive for a while, "A New Hope" then intel comes along with Core 2, and AMD blunders with phenom I, "The Empire Strikes Back". Now we are set for the last one, so if intel and amd base their cpu developement of the progression of Star Wars, looks like AMD has a chance :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Lol. I have a 955 too (as you can see in my sig) so im crossing my fingers that BD will be like another Athlon 64 to intel. Also i have to admit im a little biased against intel in terms of who i hope will come out on top, since i mayyy have a few stocks in AMD :D

ares1214

Splendid
hahaha, i have no preference who is better, but i vote for the under dog, and thats usually amd, so ive got pretty used to voting for amd :lol: and yeah, your build is very similar to mine, i have h50, 955, msi gd 70 790fx, 4890, 8 gigs ocz ram, 640 gig WD, and 64 gig boot ssd.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Wow :) . The only major difference is the gpu

ares1214

Splendid
fanboism is a form of fabricating the truth to make ones self or other believe one product is superior to another, when that is actually just a misconception based off favortism and personal experience. its like me saying a 955 is better in gaming than an i7 980x, just cuz i have the 955.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
899.99 - Does anyone still fall for these marketing stunts? Must work, since this kind of pricing has been around since the Stone's Age...
There will be an idiot, somewhere, thinking he is buying it "within his 800$ pricing range"...

Glad I got my 980X Extreme for free...sort of...

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm on Sabbatical here in Lisbon. I have been assembling computers for a store in my building, just to relax and hang out. I found out that said store hasn't paid it's employees (3) for over four months, and I think will close soon (isn't paying it's suppliers either, from what I managed to find out).
The owner is an old friend of mine so I decided to "free" the CPU (before it's too late) and call it even - since I really don't need the money, and only assemble the computers I want when I want, I will continue this hobby - and some modding - until the shop does a Titanic...
Funny thing is I never asked to get payed, and even if he was to pay me it would be about 500$...I guess, since he's an old friend and our families are also friends, he was just ashamed to tell me he couldn't pay me. Asked me to pick a component...the rest is history...

P.S. - No big deal for him, just the shame of it. His family (father) are filthy rich...keep bailing him out, and giving him money to start new "business" ventures. Which eventually will go under, like all the others, due to his "medical" needs and his soft spot for Brazilian "working-girls"...

So for the moment I have a huge place to Mod computers...and I got a free 980X Extreme - which I was eventually going to buy - for "free"...

ares1214

Splendid
to be honest, it wouldnt change much. intel dominate the higher end, amd dominates the lower end. they each have a cpu poking into each others sector, but they are split pretty much on the 200$ line. Theres no competition between the 2 really, and they both just posted record quarters, so they are both happy with their position. If AMD started to compete in the higher end, which hopefully BD will do, Intel will be forced to compete in the lower end. When its a competition in all budget sectors, then yes, prices will go down a lot, but for now, intel would still charge about the same amount without amd. this is shown by the fact the i7 hasnt gone down in price at all since it came out.