Sign in with
Your question

Amd 965 phenom 2 measuring 1 61 ghz only

Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2010 10:29:10 PM

Hi I just bought a AMD 965 Phenom II Black Edition and when checking to see how fast it was compared to my 9950. The result staggered me since the 9950 walked all over it so I knew something must be wrong but I don't know what. I noted when the computer was booting up the processor is listed as a 1.61 ghz processor. Can you advise what is wrong
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 18, 2010 10:33:15 PM

Does your motherboard support the 965? Post your motherboard make and model along with the rest of your system specs and we will help you find the problem.
July 18, 2010 10:35:39 PM

Hi the motherboard does support the 965 and I previously used the 9650 and the 9950 in the board without problem this was one of the reasons I purchased the motherboard.
Related resources
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 18, 2010 10:53:53 PM

What motherboard is it? It may require a BIOS update to get it to work with the 965, just post its make and model.
July 18, 2010 10:59:16 PM

hunter315 said:
What motherboard is it? It may require a BIOS update to get it to work with the 965, just post its make and model.

Hi Hunter315,

Many thanks for your assistance, the motherboard is a Gygabyte GA-M52L-53P.

Kind regards

Bill
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 11:44:39 PM

before you do anything, enter the bios and check it out. primarily see if there is amd cool'n'quiet, and if its on, disable it, then see
July 19, 2010 7:06:38 AM

ares1214 said:
before you do anything, enter the bios and check it out. primarily see if there is amd cool'n'quiet, and if its on, disable it, then see

Hi Ares1214,

Well that is a surprise how can something so simply fix the problem I am also puzzled because I too checked out Gigabytes site and true enough it does not appear to be supported.

Many thanks

Billyfish010
July 19, 2010 11:36:23 AM

Quote:
And how exactly did they lie??

It's your fault for not checking Gigabyte's cpu support page, which would have taken you an entire 30 seconds. Don't blame your laziness on someone else.

Idiot answer from an obvious knowall. How do I check what the vendor is saying when I am at a computer fair - there has to be a certain amount of trust when you ask a question of a salesman. If he did not know he should have said and I would not have purchased the board and looked elsewhere. You should also not assume knowledge how do you know I am not a total novice who was trying to build my first computer. As for Gigabytes support page I did not know it existed until I posted on this forum. I certainly did not post to be abused by other members of the forum. However, I won't be back again.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 2:28:03 PM

billyfish010 said:
Idiot answer from an obvious knowall. How do I check what the vendor is saying when I am at a computer fair - there has to be a certain amount of trust when you ask a question of a salesman. If he did not know he should have said and I would not have purchased the board and looked elsewhere. You should also not assume knowledge how do you know I am not a total novice who was trying to build my first computer. As for Gigabytes support page I did not know it existed until I posted on this forum. I certainly did not post to be abused by other members of the forum. However, I won't be back again.

1) even a part vendor might not know what is compatible, as socket wise it will fit just fine

2) are you telling us you didn't know there was a support page, any reputable hardware manufacturer will have a support page to look this up with

3) yeah, ZZF can be a bit harsh sometimes, though we get people like this all of the time that got screwed because they didn't check

though look at the bright side, at least you can get a newer mobo now
July 19, 2010 7:49:58 PM

Taking your third point : It is hard to check anything when you are at a computer fair and to be honest when I bought the board it was for a 9950 which works in it just fine. I accept that when I asked the seller if it would accept newer processors and he said yes I should have gone home and checked but to be honest I never gave it a thought when I purchased the 965 I just bought it because it was a good deal. As an update I have now bought a Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 AM3 board and some DDR3 ram. I am not interested in overclocking but I will be purchasing a suitable cooler. With regard to your second point I did not realise manufacturers were so helpful but on reflection maybe I should have done. Many thanks to all who tried to be constructive in their replies it is much appreciated. ZZF just so you know I bought the 965 because I believed my motherboard would support it so to me I had no reason to check I was not being too lazy and for what it is worth I have learned something for the future.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 7:56:38 PM

well, did any of the vendors have internet at this fair because i would have asked just to make sure, though i must say the situation sucks
July 19, 2010 8:03:21 PM

I haven't got a clue I never gave it a thought, at the time as I have said above I was buying the board to use with a 9950 and only asked the vendor out of curiosity and would probably never have found out if I had not read the reviews of the 965 and found a new one for sale at a very low price of £130.00 which is the only reason I bought it. The vendor said the board was future proof and if the processor fitted it would work and to a point he was right it does only not at the correct speed.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 8:05:19 PM

well can you go into the BIOS and change the CPU multiplier
July 19, 2010 8:08:46 PM

Hi Mindless,

Not sure what I would be doing I did once overclock a 2.5 single core Amd processor to 3.2 ghz but that was a long time ago and I am not sure if I could remember exactly what to do.

Bill
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 8:10:48 PM

you would have to find the where to change the cpu multiplier in the BIOS, if you can do this (depends on the model), i guess look around in the BIOS (don't change anything thought) and find it
July 19, 2010 8:13:54 PM

I know where that is I was thinking about doing it yesterday but not sure what I would change it to and if memory serves me right there is more than one thing I would have to change.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 8:21:02 PM

you might have to change something to allow you to change certain settings (like the multiplier), i would try it out, it work, it may not
July 19, 2010 8:30:26 PM

The only thing that is not highlighted is the CPU core Voltage which is currently set at 1.2 volts. When I swap the processors from the 9650 that is in at the moment to the 965 the voltage drops to 1.0 volts and I am not sure what I should change on the other settings. This is what shows on the screen when I go into the bios/cmos.
CPU Frequency MHz - 200
PCIE Clock MHz 100
CPU Clock Ratio Auto
CPU NorthBridge Freq Auto
CPU NB VID Control Normal
CPU Voltage Control Normal
CPU HT-Link Voltage Normal
Chipset Voltage Control Normal
DDR2 Voltage Control Auto

Normal CPU Vcore 1.2000v

So not sure what I should do.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 8:36:16 PM

CPU Clock Ratio (try something like 14 first, that max should be 17 if it can pick that up from the chip) should be changed and change the voltage to 1.35v (which is usually the VID for these chips, max is around 1.55v)
July 19, 2010 8:45:02 PM

Ok! mindless728 I will give it a try when I finish what I am doing at the minute and will post what happens. Many thanks for taking the trouble to assist.
July 19, 2010 10:01:30 PM

Hi Mindlessy728,

Unable to raise the CPU Clock Ratio above 11.5 I can change the voltage okay. Looks like I will just have to wait for my new board and memory.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 10:15:50 PM

well, i thought maybe, just maybe it will be nice, well good luck with the new motherboard and memory
!