Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I wait for Sandy Bridge before building a PC?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2010 12:16:34 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-nehalem-c...

So I just came across that article today and was wondering if it is worth it to wait for these to hit the market.

I'm getting into my first ever PC build so please bear with me if I say anything stupid >< Ideally I want to gather parts over the next month or so and be done by September at the latest (FFXIV is released then so I can't wait lol) Any chance Sandy will be out by then? and if so are they targeting all price points or is it only going to be high end stuff?

Computer will be used for school stuff (I'm a computer science major so visual studio, etc.) as well as for as much gaming I can fit in. It's going to be my main PC to be used for quite a few years (at least 4+ years) to come so I'd like to future proof it as much as possible.

Currently I was going with an i7-930 / 950 build with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo / 6GB DDR3 RAM / 1GB gtx 460 with a SLI and SSD upgrade in the future.

My main question is if its worth holding out for the sandy bridge and 1155 boards or is the performance between the current i7 line and sandy not that significant? I'm wondering how realistic it will be that people actually do just a CPU upgrade in which case I'd like to avoid the socket dilemma. It seems to me though that if one is building a high end PC that it will last for years to come and by that time an upgrade is going to require a socket change anyways.

Would you more experienced users find this to be the case or is an i7-930/950/sandy going to be so dated at some point, that I'd want to do a CPU upgrade without just going for a new build altogether?

Thank you very much for your time!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 19, 2010 12:58:18 AM

I wouldn't wait for sandy bridge.. it looks like it's going to be 4-6 months atleast, and it's probably going to be REAL expensive. For gaming, the most important component you need is the graphics card. Everything in your build looks great, and if you want to get XIV running even faster later on, then you can pick up another 460 to SLI with your current one (if the game is to support sli which is looking like it will)

I would make sure you have a big case, all fan slots filled with fans, and a PSU of atleast 850w so you can SLI in the future.
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
July 19, 2010 2:32:00 AM

Personally I would go with that I7 build your looking at, socket 1366 isn't getting replaced for another year, it's the lower end Sandy Bridge coming to socket 1155.
m
l
July 19, 2010 7:01:03 PM

ahh I didn't realize they were only starting with lower end Sandy Bridge, and they will be expensive ones too?! Guess there really is no option in me waiting then.

Plus like I was saying, I think if I ever need a CPU upgrade it will be years down the line by which point a completely new build will be in order. Didn't know they were supporting 1366 for another year though, not that I think it will matter.

Thanks for the advice though everyone! and blckhaze I appreciate the info about case / PSU. Was looking at either the Antec 902 or the Storm Sniper but didn't think I'd need that large a PSU. Worst case scenario will an 850W be enough for a future SLI and dual-SSD with overclocking setup or would that be too little in which case I'll aim for a 1000W (yikes that sounds too big lol).

So the graphics card is most important for gaming, is the gtx 460 a smart choice then? I picked it because I saw it got Tom's hardware 2010 recommended buy in that recent article so I figured it was a good choice. Thx!

m
l
July 20, 2010 1:34:19 AM

Actually that question is probably best reserved for a different forum section. Thank you guys very much for your responses! Really helped me to decide on building now as opposed to waiting.

ps if I could pick all of your answers as the best I would, but don't think thats possible lol thx to all of you tho!
m
l
July 20, 2010 1:34:42 AM

Best answer selected by blitzace.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 2:14:46 AM

Well since you're overclocking, having multiple drives, and whatever else AND SLI, I'd recommend you put out a few more dollars for a 950w or 1000w quality PSU. Personally, I don't like straining a power supply. I have a 1250w currently with 2 470s and its nice and cool. The PSU it replaced was like an oven, but it was only a 750w pushing 1 470.

The 460 is a good card

Good luck with everything!
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:42:21 AM

Thanks! Yea I may just do that in order to keep things safe as well as future proof any upgrades I might consider. Saw a $215 deal in the gtx 470 too but not sure if its better then the 460. I think I'll wait a bit longer as I have some time to spare before building anyways.

Thanks again for everything! ;) 
m
l
!