Login: one user, no pw, don't want to log into WinXP

I see several msgs about this, but I'm not sure I'm clear on this. I'm
setting up a friend's PC. It's just the one user, and she doesn't want to
have to log in every time she boots up. I deleted all but her account, made
it an Admin account, and the guest acct. is off. She never made a password
so basically all she has to do is click on OK in that box. But the box that
comes up when she boots up resembles the ones you get on a network, like in
my office, where there are a bunch of users, not just one. Her last PC
didn't have this screen come up, but I don't think she had SP2 installed. I
don't have that screen come up, but I haven't installed SP2 yet either (still
worried what will happen and need to find time to fix any problems it causes
when I install it, IYKWIM).
So is this a new thing in SP2? How do you tell it not to bring up that
annoying login screen? I don't want to leave anything vulnerable, but
getting rid of this wouldn't, if she's the only person using this PC, would
it?
Thanks for your help!
SueMichele
3 answers Last reply
More about login user winxp

    Skip the Welcome Screen and Logon Automatically
    http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9B9CDB2B-BCCA-4F44-B8AC-EBB746F4D24D@microsoft.com,
    SueMichele <SueMichele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I see several msgs about this, but I'm not sure I'm clear on this.
    > I'm setting up a friend's PC. It's just the one user, and she
    > doesn't want to have to log in every time she boots up. I deleted
    > all but her account, made it an Admin account, and the guest acct. is
    > off. She never made a password so basically all she has to do is
    > click on OK in that box. But the box that comes up when she boots up
    > resembles the ones you get on a network, like in my office, where
    > there are a bunch of users, not just one. Her last PC didn't have
    > this screen come up, but I don't think she had SP2 installed. I
    > don't have that screen come up, but I haven't installed SP2 yet
    > either (still worried what will happen and need to find time to fix
    > any problems it causes when I install it, IYKWIM).
    > So is this a new thing in SP2? How do you tell it not to bring up
    > that annoying login screen? I don't want to leave anything
    > vulnerable, but getting rid of this wouldn't, if she's the only
    > person using this PC, would it?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > SueMichele

    That's great, but any idea how to get a machine to automatically login to a
    domain account?

    Alan

    > Skip the Welcome Screen and Logon Automatically
    > http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:9B9CDB2B-BCCA-4F44-B8AC-EBB746F4D24D@microsoft.com,
    > SueMichele <SueMichele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I see several msgs about this, but I'm not sure I'm clear on this.
    >> I'm setting up a friend's PC. It's just the one user, and she
    >> doesn't want to have to log in every time she boots up. I deleted
    >> all but her account, made it an Admin account, and the guest acct. is
    >> off. She never made a password so basically all she has to do is
    >> click on OK in that box. But the box that comes up when she boots up
    >> resembles the ones you get on a network, like in my office, where
    >> there are a bunch of users, not just one. Her last PC didn't have
    >> this screen come up, but I don't think she had SP2 installed. I
    >> don't have that screen come up, but I haven't installed SP2 yet
    >> either (still worried what will happen and need to find time to fix
    >> any problems it causes when I install it, IYKWIM).
    >> So is this a new thing in SP2? How do you tell it not to bring up
    >> that annoying login screen? I don't want to leave anything
    >> vulnerable, but getting rid of this wouldn't, if she's the only
    >> person using this PC, would it?
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >> SueMichele

    You cant "atomatically" log into a domain account. You must manually enter
    username and password data.

    "Alan Auld" <alanauld23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That's great, but any idea how to get a machine to automatically login to
    > a domain account?
    >
    > Alan

    >> Skip the Welcome Screen and Logon Automatically
    >> http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:9B9CDB2B-BCCA-4F44-B8AC-EBB746F4D24D@microsoft.com,
    >> SueMichele <SueMichele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I see several msgs about this, but I'm not sure I'm clear on this.
    >>> I'm setting up a friend's PC. It's just the one user, and she
    >>> doesn't want to have to log in every time she boots up. I deleted
    >>> all but her account, made it an Admin account, and the guest acct. is
    >>> off. She never made a password so basically all she has to do is
    >>> click on OK in that box. But the box that comes up when she boots up
    >>> resembles the ones you get on a network, like in my office, where
    >>> there are a bunch of users, not just one. Her last PC didn't have
    >>> this screen come up, but I don't think she had SP2 installed. I
    >>> don't have that screen come up, but I haven't installed SP2 yet
    >>> either (still worried what will happen and need to find time to fix
    >>> any problems it causes when I install it, IYKWIM).
    >>> So is this a new thing in SP2? How do you tell it not to bring up
    >>> that annoying login screen? I don't want to leave anything
    >>> vulnerable, but getting rid of this wouldn't, if she's the only
    >>> person using this PC, would it?
    >>> Thanks for your help!
    >>> SueMichele

Configuration Login Windows XP