Windows 7 explorer wont display files when saving

lonedragon

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
When trying to save a file, the save dialog will not display the contents of a folder or drive in the content pane. When I click on a drive or folder in the navigation pane the content pane only displays the 'No items match your search' message. When I try to save the file in the Documents folder I get a 'The file name is not valid' message. This happens in some programs(Notepad++, Firefox, IE7) but not others(Notepad). This also happens in Firefox, Chrome and IE7 when I'm trying to upload a file to the internet(either my webserver(a Joomla CMS) or Soundcloud.com(A music sharing site).

Using Windows 7 Service Pack 1

It also happened before I installed SP1. If I do a complete reinstall it works for awhile but then the behavior returns.

Any suggestions?

TIA

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

Hate to point directly to a hardware issue, but could be a bad hard drive considering you tried a complete reinstall as well.

First and foremost though, if you have any data that needs backing up, do that.

Secondly, find out the make of your hard drive and run one of the diag tools: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287. Without opening the computer, may be able to find the make by right clicking on C drive -->properties -->hardware tab. Example WDC=Western Digital.

lonedragon

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
If that were true than it wouldn't happen on my brand new backup drive. I'm thinking it's more likely a permissions problem since I can open files in windows Explorer and it is more a function the the program I'm using and not the location that I'm trying to save in. If certain software doesn't have permission to view folder contents that would explain the behavior I'm seeing. How could I check for that?
I mean if I can't find a solution I guess I could do an install on the new drive, but that would be a last resort.

Thanx for your quick reply.