1155 socket pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamlexcrawford

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I'm doing my first build today and when I pop the protective cover off the motherboard I see all the pins are laying at something less than a 90 degree angle. The protective cover popped off sort of unexpectedly and I was afraid that I was the cause. Being a newcomer I just assumed that the pins would be straight and this sort of freaked me out. Before I was smart enough to jump online and look at a close up of the socket, I do mess with one of the pins a little to see if they can even be manipulated.

After checking out the picture online I lay the pin back to what appears to be the same angle as the others, I can't really tell the difference between them at this point.

What are the chances are that I've ruined the connectivity between my motherboard and CPU?

I need someone to talk me off a ledge and leave everything alone or take off the cpu cooler and really investigate the situation more before I power it up.

And no, I have no explanation for what I was doing other than sheer panic had set in.

Solution
You've done all that you can; If you carefully inspected every pin with a magnifying glass and all are the same angle, I would go ahead and try installing the cpu. You have to apply some pressure to lock down the cpu and tuck the lever into the holding point. The cpu is notched in two places; it only fits one way. Good luck.
You've done all that you can; If you carefully inspected every pin with a magnifying glass and all are the same angle, I would go ahead and try installing the cpu. You have to apply some pressure to lock down the cpu and tuck the lever into the holding point. The cpu is notched in two places; it only fits one way. Good luck.

Solution

mavroxur

Distinguished
DO NOT play with the pins. They're not supposed to be pointing straight up. They should be at a slight angle. They "spring" against the bottom of the CPU, not point straight at it. Whatever you do, DO NOT manipulate the pins. If they're all uniform and pointing at the same angle, they're fine. If any look like they're not uniform, then don't install the CPU.

ashari1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Where can I get conformation of the pins being on an angle. I ordered an ASUS P8Z68-v LX from newegg.I sent it back as an RMA an they clam that the mb cpu sock pins were bent and that is the issue and they will not replace the motherboard or give me a credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.