ASUS P5K-E Motherboard Rejects Every Wireless Card

Massy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
About a year ago my old, custom-made computer slowly started to stop being able to connect to the internet wirelessly and now is entirely unable to do so. My motherboard has rejected numerous wireless cards, old and new, showing a red light next to the slot before and after installing drivers. The computer can connect through ethernet but doing so disconnects everybody else from the network, which is, obviously, a problem. I did manage to get a few viruses before this happened and only recently have removed them. Could they be the cause of my problem? Is my motherboard going bad or something?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
You may have to backup your files and do a format and fresh windows install for the wireless card to work. You have a conflict somewhere, and the fresh install may get rid of it. Or you can splurge and buy a new ssd and use your old drive for data only. I like my ssd; won't go back to any magnetic drive again.
You may have to backup your files and do a format and fresh windows install for the wireless card to work. You have a conflict somewhere, and the fresh install may get rid of it. Or you can splurge and buy a new ssd and use your old drive for data only. I like my ssd; won't go back to any magnetic drive again.

Solution

Massy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

Seems to kind of work. The motherboard is still showing the red light but now I can detect my own network. I can connect every now and then, but not to the internet for some reason.

Edit: The wireless card is a Linksys WMP300N and the router is a Netgear DGND3300, if that helps.