Setting Fan Speed Manually?

lancelot712

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I have an HD radeon 4770 XFX. The fan ramps up and down annoyingly. How do I go about setting fan speeds manually? Also this card is crashing on me so I was going to try this as a last resort before RMA. If I adjust fan speed manually would this void RMA?

Solution
@ lancelot712: Click the show hidden icons arrow and you should see the red and white ATI icon. Double click on it to open the CCC. In the top left hand corner click on the 'Graphics' button then 'Overdrive'. Click on the padlock icon to unlock the overdrive feature the yes to accept. Click the 'enable manual speed control' box to check it . Use the slider to set the desired speed then 'accept' to set it.
Run Furmark or similar software to stress the card and check it does not overheat, 90C is tolerable for Furmark because it is such a monster of a test, no game will stress the card that much but if the temperatures climb over 90C I'd stop the test and increase the fan speed to compensate.
BTW, your CCC may be set to 'Basic' if so just...

lancelot712

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
* Windows XP 32/64, Vista 32/64 or 7 32/64
* EVGA 6, 7, 8, 9 or 200 series graphics card
* Forceware 96.xx or higher drivers

Are the system requirements. I dont have an evga card I have an ati readon 4770 would this still work with the link u sent me?

lancelot712

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Sadly I don't think that will work either as I have windows 7 64-bit. And the system requirements for that don't support w7.

Could someone steer me to the right place in the catalyst control center. I cant seem to find where to adjust fan speeds.

@ lancelot712: Click the show hidden icons arrow and you should see the red and white ATI icon. Double click on it to open the CCC. In the top left hand corner click on the 'Graphics' button then 'Overdrive'. Click on the padlock icon to unlock the overdrive feature the yes to accept. Click the 'enable manual speed control' box to check it . Use the slider to set the desired speed then 'accept' to set it.
Run Furmark or similar software to stress the card and check it does not overheat, 90C is tolerable for Furmark because it is such a monster of a test, no game will stress the card that much but if the temperatures climb over 90C I'd stop the test and increase the fan speed to compensate.
BTW, your CCC may be set to 'Basic' if so just click on the 'advanced' button to get to all the goodies like Overdrive.

Solution

lancelot712

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Thank you this is what I was looking for. So my original problem was that the card would cycle too much If I want to play it say should I set the card to a constant high or low fan speed? What would you recommend?

Up to you, mate.
Some posters set their fans high for gameplay then drop it down for 'normal' uses, others set the speed high and leave it. Both are correct.
Either way you'll need to find out the lowest safe speed, start at 70 percent and work down (or up) in order to keep the Furmark temperature at or below 90C.
Do not worry about wearing the fan out by running it a little faster than stock, by the time it has expired you'll be old and grey.
If you're feeling a little braver, I think Rivatuner will allow you to create a custom speed profile...Can anyone else elaborate?