Is the power supply the problem?

dharper

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I am building a system out of my spare parts that were in my closet.

These parts worked fine when the were decommissioned to the closet:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 3500+
Corsair 2G Memory
Pioneer IDE DVD-RW Drive
Seagate 40G IDE HD
Trendnet TEW-423PI PCI Wireless G Network Adapter

The power supply, a Enermax 485W EG495P-VE, was from my brothers computer. It was changed because it went dead, but I tested it before I was to throw it out, and it appears to be working fine, so I kept it.

Now this 'NEW' system is acting screwy. The secondary IDE channel is not recognized in BIOS or WIndows XP. This was a real problem because my IDE cable wasn't long enough to go between the HD, DVD, and motherboard. So I borrowed a SATA DVD drive from my main computer. Solved that problem for now.

But the wireless network card, is my main problem. The driver installs fine, but it won't work. Under its properties, it says 'This device cannot start (code 10)'. And in device manager, it has the yellow asterisk.

To make the question short, could these problems be because there is something screwy with the power supply, and it only appears to be working, but not properly? Thanks.

xoahzarodx

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
If you can boot up your computer without instability, then most likely your PSU works fine.

I think the problem is caused by your network card itself, have you installed the latest driver or tested it in other systems?

dharper

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Yes I have downloaded the latest driver. As for trying it in another system, I thought of that just before checking this post for replies. No time now, will try later.

dharper

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Yes, it was a fresh install, with a formatted drive.