Hopeful that somebosy is kind enough to guide my in the right path

bobthegolfer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
HI hope that you are having a great day ;-D

I recently purchased an Intel sc5300 chassis with dual Intel's 3.6 Ghz Xeons and 8 ghz ddr2 400 memory (Server) with Win server 2003 installed the motherboard se7520bd2v for what I considered to be a very good price. I am start going commence studying Server architecture and server administration between other related classes this year at the University. As it may become obvious by my question I am not a computer literate person yet.

When I went to install Win server 2008 on this machine is asking for a graphic card and I am having a lot of trouble finding one :??: . I need a video card that will allow me to add multiple monitors and can manage at least 23" 1900x 1200 res. monitor possibly 2 if possible that will enable me to edit video and images was planing to use this machine for that purpose and install Win 7 ultimate to utilized as media server as well If Possible.

As a mentioned before my board is se7520bd2 Intel Server board the expansion buses it have are

2 pci x 100mhz
1pcie x4
1pcix 133mhz
1 pci x 32bits

I will include this information hopefully, relevant. I have installed 6 73 Gigabytes 15k SCUSI u320 on raid 5 with a Perl 5 256mb's card planning to add 4 more disk 300 Gigabytes on the same array. already ordered I also have dual 730 redundant PSU'S

I am not a gamer so gaming performance in terms of FPS or any other factor on games are not that important for me. All the rest I really need like, editing video, audio and images with Above master collection CS4 , also being capable of using Win server 2008 win server 2003 and Win 7 ultimate.

I do apologized for the length of the question but trying to give as much input on my needs, equipment and the fact that is not an option to exchange boards right now due to the extras as SCUSI drives, controllers and board compatibility with the chassis between others facts. Another Box is not either.
I cannot consider another board in the short term not even in this year due to Financial constraints.

I will really appreciate every bodies input I hope you are kind enough to guide in the right direction as far as to what options I may have. In terms of raiser cards, PCI adapters, or available cards that will do the job. Perhaps if you know any person, Forum thread, category or even other forum that may assist me with this I will be extremely and forever graceful.

In advance Thanksfully;

:ange: Bob TheGolfer, MBA

Sounds like you want a Hole in One...... eh....
Anyways your Chassis is fine, it'll be able to hold a good Video Card.
I'm still wondering which good Video card supports those buses you have mentioned.
Will check it out and let you know.
By the way , what is your estimated budget for the Card or cards?

bobthegolfer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I really appreciated really prompt answer I hope you are having a great and productive day;

Yes, a hole in one will be great :D. I just feel I got a good deal. I am working hard to Educated and become proficient in Technology and I Will. I think that when I saw what was included. I did not stop to study the facts of graphics card necessity and have to admit other factors as well as size and power consumption, but perhaps due to the potential for the system of scalability I will be able to overcome this pitfalls. I am hopeful I can use for all the tasks mentioned before.

In terms of the budget for the graphic card I am flexible. This system will at work for several years at least I hope, perhaps I don't want a overkill. Meaning that is not important for me being able to play the latest games.

However it is important to me being able to work with graphics, video editing and occasional sound recording and editing for my daughter work as a part time graphic designer and web developer at 14 years old; :) and my wife main business that is marketing related, for this task it is important to able to run Adobe Master Collection CS4 and all its components without problems. being able to run as best as possible Win 7 ultimate, Win Server 2008 and Win Server 2003 the latter is already running in the system. For my university study and work related needs.

I want to reintegrate my appreciation for your interest to assist me with this issue and I put my self at your service for anything for may feel I may be useful to you.

Appreciative on your interest;

Bob TheGolfer, MBA. :hello:
A Man is who recognize his abilities and use them for the greater good, not just for it's own benefit. Is a true Man.

bobthegolfer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I want to reintegrate my gratitude for you taking the time to answer my question in such prompt time, I still need assistance and guidance in this dilema, I am clueless in what to do. I cannot find a solution to my problem, I will appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance :-D

Bobthegolfer.

You probably need to be looking into something like these adapters.
They will let you use any PCI-e x16 video card in your PCI-e x4 motherboard slot. Even a low end ATI HD 4350/4550 or Nvidia GeForce 9400 / GeForce 9500 / GeForce 210 should do what you need done.

PCI Express X4 slot to X16 Video Card Adapter
The PEXP16-SX-16/4 is a PCI Express X4 lane convertor. Connect a PCI Express x16 card to a X4 slot on your motherboard.
Ideal for video cards or for motherboards that do not provide enough or any PCI Express x16 slots
If your motherboard only has a PCI Express X4 slot, this adapter will allow you to install a PCI Express X16 on it. However your PCI Express X16 card will run at the X4 bus speed. This extension adapter is designed to provide enhanced compatibility between motherboards and a variety of PCI Express expansion cards, and is the perfect solution for converting an unused X4 PCI Express slot to accommodate x2, x4, x8, x12 or x16 PCI Express cards.

PCI Express X4 to X16 Adapter
The ARC1-08X16-X4 is a PCI Express X4 lane convertor. Connect a PCI Express x16 card to a X4 slot on your motherboard.
Ideal for video cards or for motherboards that do not provide enough or any PCI Express x16 slots
If your motherboard only has a PCI Express X4 slot, this adapter will allow you to install a PCI Express X16 on it. However your PCI Express X16 card will run at the X4 bus speed. This extension adapter is designed to provide enhanced compatibility between motherboards and a variety of PCI Express expansion cards, and is the perfect solution for converting an unused X4 PCI Express slot to accommodate x2, x4, x8, x12 or x16 PCI Express cards