Solved

Is my powersupply enough for this upgrade?

Hi

Im about to upgrade to an core i7 860 and a gtx 465, i have one western digital 640gb black and one dvd burner and 2x 120mm fans(i don't run a lot of components)
my power supply is a Xion 500w with dual 12v rails (one at 17amps and the other at 18amps) im not going to overclock until i get the corsair 650w psu.(i can't get the new psu right now since its not in the store until september over here)

but i was just wondering if my current psu would be able to handle the upgrade until i get the corsair TX650 psu?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about powersupply upgrade
  1. combatpro said:
    Hi

    Im about to upgrade to an core i7 860 and a gtx 465, i have one western digital 640gb black and one dvd burner and 2x 120mm fans(i don't run a lot of components)
    my power supply is a Xion 500w with dual 12v rails (one at 17amps and the other at 18amps) im not going to overclock until i get the corsair 650w psu.(i can't get the new psu right now since its not in the store until september over here)

    but i was just wondering if my current psu would be able to handle the upgrade until i get the corsair TX650 psu?


    Not an expert opinion, but I would get a 1000w for future upgrades and just to be safe. Make sure its from a reliable brand though.
  2. Best answer
    The 650TX will handle 465's in SLI in the future, the Xion should suffice for the meantime, it has a best case scenario of 35A, so likely 32A but that should still be alright for a GTX 465.
  3. Xion 500w has max 360w on +12v. May fall over it you benchmark it, But normal use should be ok
  4. hunter315 said:
    The 650TX will handle 465's in SLI in the future, the Xion should suffice for the meantime, it has a best case scenario of 35A, so likely 32A but that should still be alright for a GTX 465.

    okey, thanks for your help
  5. narwen said:
    Xion 500w has max 360w on +12v. May fall over it you benchmark it, But normal use should be ok

    the i7 860 takes up a 95w judging by intels site and the gtx 465 takes up 200w judging by nvidias site, so its 295w and then the ram and motherboard takes a little, should be enough for now since i wont overclock until i get my 650tx, tnx
  6. Best answer selected by combatpro.
  7. thanks for your support everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Powersupply Components