Sign in with
Your question

Screen Resolution problem

Last response: in Windows XP
January 31, 2013 1:42:39 PM

We run an XP system with 2 users.
One is a general office use, the other is a computer based CCTV system permanetly running.
When we switch from the office user to CCTV user, sometimes the screen resolution changes to basic 800x600 and the colours to a basic set.
Only way to recover is to do a complete system restart then it will probably be OK.
Problem is intermittent which makes it harder to pin down.
Have an NVIDIA graphics card 1GB so hoping it is not a graphics card capacity issue.

Any help or pointers welcomed, particularly to a more appropriate category or thread.
I am a new member and still finding my way around.
Thanks.
a c 158 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 4:25:05 PM

This can happen if an older program is running full screen, it does not release control to Windows properly and gets stuck in the old resolution. If you run older games made for DOS/Win95, you will see this happen at times. Running two users like this is not a good idea. If one crashes, both sides are done. Get a different computer to run the security camera.
February 1, 2013 7:06:53 AM

Thanks for the thought. I am not aware we run older full screen programs, but I will check with our administrator who uses the system. The security is Logitech WiLife and I believe that is all fairly up to date and doesn't run full screen. Will report back.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 158 U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 1:25:12 AM

This could also happen at times with background images crashing, do either of the accounts have a background with an image or an active background? Try using just a regular background if they do.
February 2, 2013 12:54:04 PM

If by background images you mean the wallpaper, then we do have a basic picture for each user. If you mean something else, can you clarify please. We can revert to a standard windows background and can try that.
a c 158 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 1:11:13 AM

angrita said:
If by background images you mean the wallpaper, then we do have a basic picture for each user. If you mean something else, can you clarify please. We can revert to a standard windows background and can try that.

Yes the wallpaper.
!