I7 930 deal at Microcenter.

xPHANtastic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I recently found out that I could save $150 USD for buying a i7 930 from Microcenter instead of Newegg. I wanted to know how long will this deal last or even maybe it'll go drop soon. Right now I'm really tight on money since school is coming around and I have some other expenses. So I wanted to know should I wait until December 2010 to get a i7 930 or buy it now for $200 USD?
Also, since I wanted to buy a i7 930 do you think a Asus P6TD Deluxe motherboard be good with the i7 930 and should I buy it open-boxed?

xPHANtastic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I was only thinking of buying the P6TD Deluxe because I'm really on a tight budget. If the price of the i7 930 drops anytime soon I'll consider looking into those motherboards ares.

xPHANtastic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I do have a frys about 15 minutes away from my house. Thanks for the tip daship didn't know they had deals like this. Also can DDR2 ram work in DDR3 slots? Since most x58 motherboards are DDR3?

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Like ares1214 said, I wouldn't buy anything - specially a Mobo - open-boxed. If you're so tight on cash I would recommend waiting until the end of August (since a little bird told me Intel is going to reprice some of their CPUs).
In any case, don't buy anything open-boxed: they are like that for a reason...
Remember that DDR3 memory is also going to cost you a bit of cash. I'd wait, save some more money, and buy your gaming RIG closer to mi-term ;)...just kidding.

If your tight on money you might as well wait till black friday comes around. My best recommendation though is waiting till august. Since Intel has announced already that starting august, the i7 950 is going down to the price of a current i7 930. So the 930 probably will drop or even just stay the same price at microcenter. Just wait for the 950 drop, then check the prices at microcenter if they change.

xPHANtastic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I totally forgot about black friday. I might just wait till then or whenever the price drops. I wouldn't buy a open box if I didn't live relatively close either. Thanks for the tip.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Just an fyi, I have been eying the i7-930 at microcenter for months. It's $200 and that price isn't going ANYWHERE. Month after month I see the same ad come out with the same front page deal, i7-930 for $200 and month after month I see the same deal posted over and over again on Slick Deals. I learned patience when it comes to buying that CPU because as tempting as that price is, it's not going anywhere so don't worry.

As everyone else is saying, wait until the end of August at the very least. I'm in the same boat so waiting on the price drops on the 950's and going to see how that impacts everything. Wait for microcenters September sales ad and then jump on it, that's what I'll be doing!

ares1214

Splendid
well, thing is, id GUESS, that microcenter will keep their 200$ i7 930 deal, but they will sell the 950 at regular retail price, so about 280$. what they did with the 920 was get rid of it and drop the 930 down to its price, but i highly doubt they will do that with the 930 when the 950 comes out.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Yea as much as I hate to admit it I think your right ares. They probably won't do anything so drastic right away at least. We'll just have to wait and see.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Oh and I couldn't agree with you more lol its crazy. Recently I've switched to online purchases only which actually is a lot better then I thought. Dropped $3k for relatives last time around and it was a huge success, hopefully this year will be no different ^_^

As for waiting for black friday, neva! lol FFXIV comes out in September so my build must be done before then at the very latest :p

TRENDING THREADS