Upgrade nvidia lan speed

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
My PC is connected to the internet via a Motorola SB5101.

The connection is set at 20mbps.

I am only getting 5.8 mbps

When I look at the 'Status' panel on my LAN network it says 12.0 mbps.

How do I reset / Upgrade the LAN component to gain access to the full 20 mbps, please?

My motherboard is a nVIDIA nForce PCI-Express - vintage 2006.

Thank you in anticipation

Geoff Trantham

Let's back up a bit.

Connection is set at 20mbps, is that your internet speed you are paying for or what you set the port speed at?

Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

Connected directly to the modem?

If you are using a direct network connection, your network cord may be bad or is an old and cheap one. Get a new cable and check he connection. Also make sure your network card is not set manually to a lower speed, set it to Auto.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Connection @ 20mbps is the speed paid for to Virgin Cable.

My connection is wired directly to the modem.

How do I access the network card to alter setting / set to 'auto', please?

Thanks you for your interest and help so far.

The connection may not be 20 all the time, how many times have you run the test? During different days and times? And make sure you are comparing the right speeds megabytes and megaBITS are two different things. If you are measuring the speeds in one vs the speed in another, they will be off.

Go to the Control Panel, Network, you will find the network card there, right-click on it and you will be able to set the speeds in the Settings or Properties options.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi

I have checked speed on a regular basis even when paid for speed was 10.

Before and after upgrade I have regularly recorded 5.84 (all times of day, different days of week too.

SB 5101 appears to be set at '22' now, so PC appears to be the 'block'.

Went into Control Panel
Network (set up & Change your internet connections)
Internet Properties
Connections
Lan Settings

and.. ticked the 'auto matic' (top) box.

rebooted...but with no effeect.

Right clicking did not at any stage bring up a 'network card' value /setting.

I fear I am being awfully thick but can you refresh your directions, please?

Thanks.

Geoff.

Enable the icon for network connections, hover over the icon and put in what speed is showing up. If it's the normal 100 or 1gig, contact the ISP and tell them you are not getting good speeds.

Open Network Connections

Under LAN or High-Speed Internet, click the network connection to be displayed on the taskbar. Then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the General tab, click the Show icon in taskbar notification area when connected check box.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I have carried out 1-3 above.

Hovering over the icon (bottom r/h of start up screen shows:

Local Area Connection 2
Speed: 12.0 Mbps

i.e as before

Still not clear how I actually increase the value of 12 shown to desired 20?

Sorry for being so dumb; you can only imagine my frustration!

I understand the SB 5101 can cater up to 33Mbps (and appears to be set at 22 by supplier - see above),
so it has to be something internal to may PC, right!?

Thanks

Geoff.

The LAN connection should be at 100 or 1000 depending on if you have a gigabit port or not. You are confusing the INTERNET speeds to the local network speeds to the router. If it's lower, you could have a cable issue, or a network card issue, or the modem has an issue. Try a different network cable, if that does not fix it, contact the ISP to check on it.

Once you get the ethernet connection to run at the correct speed, you can check with the ISP about why your speeds are not close to what they should be.

Ah, good catch, did not think that he could be using the modem with a USB connection, I never used one that way before and don't know anyone else that did if they had an ethernet port.

If the modem only has a USB 1 port, you will never get past 12mb speeds. I suggest you connect it to the computer with the ethernet port.

Also, for security, you want to buy a router to put between you and the modem. With just a modem you are basically hanging your computer out on the internet like a ripe berry to be hacked.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Many thanks.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Ah! I haven't got an Ethernet card/connection.

My machine is vintage March 2006. Does this imply that my USB ports will only be 1.0 (showing their age!)?

Thanks again

Geoff.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Just checked hardware: I appear to have USB 2.0 so now I am really confused
as to why my speed is so low.

Maybe my ISP is at fault.

I wil try to enter into dialogue with them again!

Many thanks for all your input.

Geoff.

taugenichts

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Oh what an idiot!

Am I!

Detailed examination of rear of computer (not undertaken often!)
revealed presence of Ethernet port.

I fixed Ethernet cable in place of USB and lo and behold 20+Mbps achieved.

Never felt so foolish in my life.

Many thanks for all responses.

Case closed.

Regards.

Geoff.

Glad it's fixed. The USB 1 speeds may have been because the modem only has a USB 1 port, won't matter what the computer has, the speed won't be faster than the slowest connection.