Xeon X3440

blazing angel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
i was about to purchase a i5 760, when i came across this little ah heck. It's basically a i7 860, clocked lower, but binned better! (becuase its a server cpu!) Ive done some research, and it appears to oc very well, works in p55 boards, has hyperthreading, and is only 30$ more than the 760, but 60 less than the 860!! :D

^ Ah, but you never know when the Xeon will work because they don't put them in their official motherboard CPU Support Lists. Granted, it is really just 'rebranded' i7 840 (in terms of clock speed) and should work without with any problems, but then again I heard that some Core 2 Quad based Xeons didn't work in all LGA 775 boards.

OP, go for it.

blazing angel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
1 month left to wait..until the funds are sufficient. There's a few guys on the OCN boards with this chip, and they have it oc'd to 4ghz!!!! One is running a p7p55d series mobo (the supercomputer version.)

I have also discovered that newer bios's alow you to use the x3440's turboboost multiplier as a default ;)

btw i have a idea. lets say you use eco ram like the gskill eco series, wouldnt you be placeing less pressure on the imc, which could provide less temps, and more oc'ing capabilites?

Would a regular i7 860 oc'ing guide work for this? Can you guys reccomend a good one? the mobo will be a p7p55d-e pro

it is compatible with all :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS