Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Geforce 9600gt???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2010 11:17:09 AM

OK, here is the problem. Today I put together my first HTPC and all was well. It booted right away and I had no issues with incorrect RAM settings etc. Then I decided to chuck in the 9600gt from our old desktop that died of motherboad failure (long story) for increased gaming performance. The moment I booted the pc up I knew I had a problem. Instead of loading the motherboard bios it was displaying the GPU bios and constantly losing picture. I tried pressing enter and numerous other keys but got no response. I then turned it off and tried again. This time it displayed the GPU bios and progressed through to the windows installation. When the computer rebooted to complete the second half it failed to get past the GPU bios. I rebooted several times to no avail. Fed up I decided to complete the installation using the integrated HD4200 and install the drivers for it. I completed the installation and downloaded updates. All was going well so i decided to try the 9600gt again. No joy. It was still not working. I tried a different route and installed an old ATI x300 (yes I know it is a piece of crap). This proved to be more successful. It did not display the GPU bios and booted successfully. The computer then displayed a windows loading error due to new hardware. Me being the idiot that I am had forgotten to remove the ATI drivers. I removed the card and went back to my integrated graphics.

I am getting quite irritated and am pretty sure that the gpu is at fault. Not having the same issue with a different card tends to suggest that it is not a fault with the motherboard or PCIe x16 slot. What do you guys think?

My specs:

Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3 mobo
WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD
AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU
4GB DDR3 1333mhz Kingston Value Ram
Antec NSK 2480B case w 380w Earthwatts PSU
Generic Panasonic DVD-RW drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Problem graphics card
Galaxy Geforce 9600gt Low Power (relatively new and I am pretty sure it is still in warranty)

More about : problem geforce 9600gt

a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 12:21:57 PM

I'm 99.9% certain your initial suspicion that the 9600GT is at fault is the correct one. So what about that 0.1% you say?

Since removing and reinstalling the card allowed it to boot once, it's possible, though remotely, that there is a contact issue in the slot. By that I mean the contacts on the card and within the slot didn't line up properly or didn't make a clean contact.

You can physically eye the pins in the slot to check their orientation, and cleaning them usually just takes a blast of canned air. For the card, use a pencil eraser and gently rub it along the part that goes into the slot. Give it a light once-over on both sides, then get a lint-free cloth (or coffee filter) and some high-grade isopropyl alcohol (80% or better) and gently wipe both sides of it clean. Allow it a moment to dry and try installing it again.

If it works, well done! If not, then it's not a contact issue and there's likely something physically wrong with the card. I'd guess a PWM/VRM issue, but it's just a guess. Contact Galaxy support and request an RMA.

P.S. I have an AM2+ version of that board - MA785G-UD3H.
m
l
April 13, 2010 11:17:05 PM

I tried what you suggeted and had no success. I made sure I had uninstalled the old drivers this time. I tried it with the ATI X300 and it worked right away. Looks like I have a dead card :( 
To make matters worse I cannot find any proof of purchase for the card!
Looks like I will be looking for a new card. This is not necessarily a bad thing since the 9600gt's fan sounded like a jet engine and I could get HD audio! What do you think about the HIS HD 5750 ICEQ or CoolerIV models. They seem pretty quiet. Another option would be the vapor X. I am little worried that my PSU won't cope but I don't really want to get an HD 5670 because it is not an improvement.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 3:29:35 AM

If you purchased it online, the dealer should be able to issue a duplicate receipt. If you paid for it in a store with a credit or debit card, they should also be able to find and print you a new receipt by searching for sales coinciding with the card's number.

You mention PSU worries... What make/model do you have? 5750 cards barely sip from the PCIe power cable.
m
l
April 14, 2010 6:03:20 AM

Thanks for the tip about contacting the dealer. I will give it a shot. If I can get it replaced I will probably sell it or use it in another rig because it is guite loud.
I am using an Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU. I know it is pretty borderline for a 5750.
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:47:45 AM

If I do end up sticking with the integrated graphics can I output only video via HDMI and the audio via optical? I am looking to do this because I am pretty sure the igp is only capable of outputing 2.1 LCPM through HDMI? Do you know if this is the case? Is it possible to output 5.1 via the HDMI? Will it handle 720p and 1080p ok?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 2:25:07 PM

Provided you're not using some super-overclocked quad-core CPU, the Antec EA380 should perform just fine with a 5750 or 5770. I have a Antec EA430 powering a 95W dual-core 7850 Kuma OC'd to 3.2GHz and an HD 4850 @ 700/1050. My CPU is probably sucking down a solid 110W or so, and the card draws more power under load than either the 5770 or 5750 ever could.

Regarding the IGP....

The HDMI output can handle HDTV resolutions. You're correct that it's capable of 2.1 LCPM, but it also supports AC3 and DTS using an external decoder. Unfortunately, none of them are Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1. That support is provided separately by the Realtek Digital Audio chip, not the Realtek HDMI Audio device.

You can use either the S/PDIF optical output or the analog outputs for Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1. Which one to use depends upon what inputs the device you'll be running it to supports. Older receivers may only accept analog, while newer ones should have both analog and optical S/PDIF.

Finally, Gigabyte recommends allotting at least 256mb of memory to the IGP for high-def and Blu-Ray playback, which you have to set up in the BIOS.
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:39:30 PM

Uh I thought that AC3 was the same thing as DD 5.1....from wikipedia....
"This codec has several aliases, which are different names for the same codec:
Dolby Digital
DD (an abbreviation for Dolby Digital, often combined with channel count; for instance, DD 2.0, DD 5.1)
AC-3 (Audio Codec 3, Advanced Codec 3, Acoustic Coder 3. These are backronyms. However, Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding 3, or ATRAC3, is a separate format developed by Sony)[10]
ATSC A/52 (name of the standard)[11]"

Also am I able to do video over HDMI without the audio?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 11:29:48 PM

AC3 support requires a separate AC3filter download. While AC3 is 5.1 audio, it's not Dolby Digital 5.1, and not all movies and such are encoded with AC3.

Yes you can limit the HDMI output to video only. Simply go into Control Panel, Sounds, then select your default output device from the list.
m
l
April 14, 2010 11:56:30 PM

Quote:
Yes you can limit the HDMI output to video only. Simply go into Control Panel, Sounds, then select your default output device from the list.

Sweet I think I will stick with that.
m
l
!