Sign in with
Your question

Acer Extensa 4630Z - Sound stopped working!

Last response: in Windows XP
January 31, 2013 3:52:51 PM

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade the drivers of my Moms Laptop which is 2 year old. Buy holiday gone haywire! Here's what I did:

1) Uninstalled all Drivers from Windows XP Add/Remove

2) Flash the BIOS successfully to 2.4 version. Reboot to Windows was normal.

3) From the regional Acer website, I downloaded all drivers. These are the driver list for info (not download this site):

http://www.laptopdriversfreedownload.com/2011/06/acer-e...

4) I started with Chipset, then Video, Network, Sound, and last one was Bluetooth.

Problems:

a) Realtek Sound doesn't show up in the Device Manager (sound device disable).

a) MODEM driver doesn't install (no idea why).

NOTE: before I fiddled with this Laptop, there were no problems (a) and (b) at all.

Now I'm bewildered because I've played with dozens of Laptops (Windows/Linux/Mac) but never encountered such a stubborn problem :??:  (It was a lesson learned - never be too confident!!)

I'm not clear where I gone wrong? Assuming, does Acer laptops need drivers to be installed in a particular order? Sorry I'm somewhat new to this make.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Big thanks.
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2013 4:11:48 PM

"does Acer laptops need drivers to be installed in a particular order?"

Just same as any other computer, chipset driver first.

"before I fiddled with this Laptop, there were no problems (a) and (b) at all."

The lesson is that you should never update any driver that's working okay, same with the BIOS.
Only update the BIOS or a driver if the update adds a feature you need or fixes a specific problem you are experiencing.
Driver & BIOS updates are not compulsory!

It doesn't matter if any driver is two or even three years old, if it works then leave it alone.

I see that you uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones. This is rarely necessary or even advisable, since it deprives you of the ability to "roll back" the driver if the new one causes problems. The driver setup will decide if the existing driver has to be removed first.

I recommend you back up all the user files (Documents, Pictures etc) then perform a full Factory Recovery will restore the original OS installation and the original drivers.
m
l
January 31, 2013 4:39:15 PM

phil22 said:
"does Acer laptops need drivers to be installed in a particular order?"
I see that you uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones. This is rarely necessary or even advisable, since it deprives you of the ability to "roll back" the driver if the new one causes problems. The driver setup will decide if the existing driver has to be removed first.

I concur but 'rarely necessary' need not be true in all cases. I did many BIOS flashes on Asus/Gigbyte MOBOs be it for P67 or Z77. Same does with drivers too, especially with Graphics.

phil22 said:
I recommend you back up all the user files (Documents, Pictures etc) then perform a full Factory Recovery will restore the original OS installation and the original drivers.

Ha! There is no such Recovery feature on this laptop...

I need to fix the Sound problem and MODEM problem. I've been through enough of this...let alone thinking about a fresh XP install :ouch: 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 31, 2013 9:00:37 PM

I've a question:

As the last resort, what if I go for a "Repair Installation" because I guess "Recovery Console" doesn't help.

- will there be any problem? I reckon existing data will be intact except Windows folder and other system files will be deleted and re-installed. Isn't it?
- this laptop has AHCI/SATA HDD, I need to flag 'IDE' mode in BIOS because I've no external Floppy drive. Later AHCI support could be added. I never tried slip-streaming this driver into XP CD. Any pointers?
m
l
February 1, 2013 4:55:07 AM

I solved the problem without any repair/re-install of Windows.

Trust me, it was one of the most patching annoyances...huh!!

Culprit is a small hot fix (not even 1MB!) from Microsoft, which blew away all the pain in my head:

Before installing Audio or MODEM driver, one *must* patch Windows XP SP3 with:

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

Note: Actually I overlooked Acer-supplied Realtek Audio pack. However I think it's not my fault because that hot fix is hidden inside the Realtek folder (kinda slip-streamed it!). Had I inspected Realtek folder, I would have saved from this hell.

Anyway, happy ending :) 
m
l
!