Internet Explorer and Firefox won't work

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hi.
I am having a problem with Internet Explorer and Firefox not wanting to display the page or get online. It is not my modem or internet connection as I can get updates for my computer.

I have Vista and recently had a problem with some virus that was saying I had worm.win32.netsky but it was actually another trojan virus that wanted me to buy some anti virus program like vista anti virus 2010. I knew it was fake but that virus disabled my task manager, account control, regedit, or anything else to get rid of it. So after many many hours of not going anywhere with any forums I read I just reinstalled Vista to get rid of it.

So after I reinstalled Vista I noticed that I couldn't use Internet Explorer. So I thought it was just IE so I downloaded Firefox and that doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated!

sturm

Splendid
Look in the connections tab under internet settings. Make sure the box is not checked to use a proxy. You can get updates so I am assuming that your IP, subnet, and gateway are fine.
Check the firewall and turn it off if its on to see if that's blocking it. Can you ping www.google.com?

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I have not and did post it here alsohttp://www.computing.net/answers/networking/cant-get-on-ie8-or-firefox/40061.html

Honestly I have really no solution that can fix this. Maybe it could be Symantec blocking it or some other program. This sucks though as I have to use my old 7 year old computer to browse the internet and stuff. I know I had a problem where I couldn't connect to Internet Explorer or Firefox but my dad uninstalled the driver for the networking controller on my motherboard and it worked. But II did notice that after I reinstalled Vista and let it update, I have the Vista service pack 1. I wonder if that could be a problem. Also I read that an update with Symantec had an update that did block browser usage but I don't have that update.

Since I have Symantec Enterprise Edition it is hard to figure out how to do much of anything.

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Here is some other info
alsohttp://www.computing.net/answers/networking/cant-get-on-ie8-or-firefox/40061.html

justmyopinion

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
If you only installed your Vista disk that is not a fresh or "clean -boot" install. The virus is likely still lurking. You can try restore or you need to do a clean install and will loose all data, all add-on programs, drivers etc. You will not even have a driver for your internet connection. This too is on the reinstallation discs that came with the computer OR you will need to download it on a different computer and transfer it. I have done far too many clean installs to be sure to "clean" a PC of a virus.