Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD RAID 5 Array Disappeared from Windows 7

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2012 4:30:40 PM

I have an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard I am using for a NAS/Windows Media Center HTPC.

AMD Phenom II X3 (4th Core Unlocked) B60
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
8GB DDR3 1600
NVIDIA 440GT
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB OS Drive
5x Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 (HD103SJ) Sequential Serial Numbers In raid 5
Windows Home Premium
SiliconDust HD HomeRunPrime Outboard CableCard Tuner

I was watching a show on media center the other night, and all of a sudden, I get a message that stated "your media is no longer available". Figuring that was odd, i checked my recorded TV section, and sure enough, my 250+ recorded shows had been removed from the list. It appears my Raid Array had completely disappeared from My Computer. I ran AMD's RaidXpert, and it showed that the array was indeed still there. I rebooted the computer, figuring it just went stupid, which I've had happen once before. Rebooted, AMD RAID diagnostics found all 5 raid drives, functional, and continued to boot. When booting into 7, I got a message asking if i wanted to initialize my raid array. Obviously, i don't want to lose it, so i said no. Opened RaidXpert, and began running a redundancy check, and it started throwing a few LBA errors. After the check hit 48%, I got the message that port 3 on my array had gone critical. Cool, no problem, figured it was unplugged, or bad, and I had a spare drive on hand for just this occasion. Swapped the drive, rebuilt the array. I looked at it this morning when I got up, and the array had completed its rebuilding process, but Windows still won't recognize it as a valid storage device without attempting to initialize it. I even attempted to run a Windows Recovery, because Update installed a "Critical Update" the night it went offline. No dice. Everything says it's still fine and functional in RaidXpert, and in the RAID bios/utility.

Any Ideas? I had an offline back up of most everything, but I really hate the idea of a RAID array going retarded with no ability to rebuild it. I've been scouring AMD's fourms, and anywhere I can think to remedy the issue for 2 days, before I have to bite the bullet, and initialize the array. Help!

J

Edit: I do have a 500W OCZ PSU with enough voltage to handle the HDDs.

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 27, 2012 7:10:54 PM

when the computer is shut down unexpectedly you must allow windows to reinitialize the raid array
June 28, 2012 3:21:12 PM

Even though the system was never shut down to my knowledge, I gave in. AMD: Another Major Disaster.

thx for the help
m
l
June 28, 2012 3:21:23 PM

Best answer selected by jcoultas98.
m
l
!