Solved

AMD RAID 5 Array Disappeared from Windows 7

I have an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard I am using for a NAS/Windows Media Center HTPC.

AMD Phenom II X3 (4th Core Unlocked) B60
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
8GB DDR3 1600
NVIDIA 440GT
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB OS Drive
5x Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 (HD103SJ) Sequential Serial Numbers In raid 5
Windows Home Premium
SiliconDust HD HomeRunPrime Outboard CableCard Tuner

I was watching a show on media center the other night, and all of a sudden, I get a message that stated "your media is no longer available". Figuring that was odd, i checked my recorded TV section, and sure enough, my 250+ recorded shows had been removed from the list. It appears my Raid Array had completely disappeared from My Computer. I ran AMD's RaidXpert, and it showed that the array was indeed still there. I rebooted the computer, figuring it just went stupid, which I've had happen once before. Rebooted, AMD RAID diagnostics found all 5 raid drives, functional, and continued to boot. When booting into 7, I got a message asking if i wanted to initialize my raid array. Obviously, i don't want to lose it, so i said no. Opened RaidXpert, and began running a redundancy check, and it started throwing a few LBA errors. After the check hit 48%, I got the message that port 3 on my array had gone critical. Cool, no problem, figured it was unplugged, or bad, and I had a spare drive on hand for just this occasion. Swapped the drive, rebuilt the array. I looked at it this morning when I got up, and the array had completed its rebuilding process, but Windows still won't recognize it as a valid storage device without attempting to initialize it. I even attempted to run a Windows Recovery, because Update installed a "Critical Update" the night it went offline. No dice. Everything says it's still fine and functional in RaidXpert, and in the RAID bios/utility.

Any Ideas? I had an offline back up of most everything, but I really hate the idea of a RAID array going retarded with no ability to rebuild it. I've been scouring AMD's fourms, and anywhere I can think to remedy the issue for 2 days, before I have to bite the bullet, and initialize the array. Help!

J

Edit: I do have a 500W OCZ PSU with enough voltage to handle the HDDs.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about raid array disappeared windows
  1. Best answer
    when the computer is shut down unexpectedly you must allow windows to reinitialize the raid array
  2. Even though the system was never shut down to my knowledge, I gave in. AMD: Another Major Disaster.

thx for the help
  3. Best answer selected by jcoultas98.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID AMD Storage