Dell Dimension 5150 monitor Lost...

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I purchased this machine in 2006. It has worked but it now takes me 1 hour to be able to view the monitor. The onboard graphics card didn't work tool well so I got another card. It works but it took 1 hour to sit with the machine and power it on and off. I removed the other cards. I removed the battery. What a frustrating ordeal to have to go through every day. It must be the motherboard. Dell would charge me $200 for a new board. Why do this? Is there anything else I can do to get the monitor to work? What is the problem anyway? I never can see the Dell logo when I boot the machine. I can after I have the monitor working and the reboot. Upon reboot I can see the Dell logo. Why do the drivers get lost when it's cold in the morning?

Solution
Is this a CRT monitor or an LCD?
If it is a CRT it's getting old and tired and you would be better off getting a shiny new LCD from LG or Samsung....
Hope this helps...JQ
Try changing the motherboard battery. It's probably a round lithium 2032 available at some computer stores and retail outlets in the battery section for $2-3. To remove, just use a flathead screwdriver or dull knife. Press the flat tab area until the battery pops up enough to lift out.