AMD Phenom II x4 <versus> x6

SzuruDusk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I'm doing my best as a complete and total noob to build my custom gaming rig for Final Fantasy XIV... but I'm finding it slightly harder than I thought it would be. Way too many options to consider. ^ ^;

My problem right now that I've basically zero'd in on two options... the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb and the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban... but I still can't figure which is the right one to get.

The x4 is cheaper by 50 bucks and can be found in few good combo deals on Newegg. But x6 has Six-Core(I have no idea what this means, and would appriciate someone running that by me. :sweat: ) and may possibly be better for running those taxing games on Medium-High mode!

What's the difference in these two Processors?

Hi.

The 1055T can give you more future proof but don't OC as well as the 955. Do u really want a good upgrade? Go with the 1090T that is a BE an can give you the same future proof that the 1055T.

What's the difference?

1- The 955 is quad core, the 1055 and 1090 are six core.
2- The 955 is one of the 1st Phenom II generation, the Thuban is more new and can give u more future proof.

SzuruDusk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I don't think there's anything about the six cores that is really necessary to gaming. Not worth the extra money IMO. All I can see that's really THAT much better is that it's future-proof. But that's not what I need right now, it's speed I need. And I found the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz seems to be just what I needed. I think I'm going to get that.

Thanks again for your help saint19!

SzuruDusk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah I had a feeling... :\ Well when I first posted this hours ago, I had hardly any idea what a CPU was for. I feel pretty accomplished that I can figure out this much. xD

If anyone feels like checking out my planned build and giving tips, better ideas, or just general knowledge, I would be very grateful!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=290413&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0