Blak0ut

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello I have recently been having some issues with my PC, it pretty much started when i decided to upgrade my PC. ever since i bought my new mobo+cpu my PC would randomly freeze at least once a day but it would only do it 1 or 2 times. now the other day it got really really hot in my room and my CPU got up to the high 50's C, ever since that my frame rates in games have dropped quite a bit. I have searched all over the net for things and i think it might be my PSU either dying or just old.

i havent OC'd my cpu, although i did buy 1600 ram and had to go in my bios to OC it to get that speed.

amd 955
msi nf750-g55
bfg gts 250
1TB seagate
dvd burner
rosewill 550w psu (year old)
antec 900 two

Thanks in advanced!

D

Deleted member 217926

Wait .......what? 700 to 800 watts for that? You do not even need close to that much. A quality 450w unit will be just fine for what you have. If you plan to upgrade to a better graphics card then a quality 500-550w unit can run just about any single gpu out there. 700 to 800 watts would only be necessary if you plan on running 2 x 5970s or 2 x GTX 480s ( maybe 850 for the 480s ). Hell even Nvidia only recommends a 450w for a GTS250 and that would be an average 450w unit not a quality one.
A 400w Corsair PSU would power your system as is just fine. They are $29 after rebate on newegg.

Have you ruled out memory errors? Are the RAM voltages correct? Run memtest? Are you sure you seated the heatsink correctly? Did you use thermal compound? What are your everday temps?

Framerate dropping is not really something that makes me think your PSU is dying. More like random reboots and the PC just dying under load.

If you do need a new PSU then as shovenose said stick to Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, or PC Power and Cooling and you will be fine but I would rule out other problems before I bought one.

Blak0ut

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

i did think about the memory, but being that the memory is only about a month old i didnt think that it would cause any problems. i did look at the voltages and everything looked fine, and if i could change it i didnt know how too. is there a good program/tool that i could use to do a memtest? yes my heatsinks are on fine and i do have thermal compound on it. my everyday temps are usually 35-45c on my cpu and 45-55c on my gpu. i did notice in cpuid HWmon that TMPIN2 is at 107c, i tried looking it up but i cant really find anything on it.

now with the framerates dropping it, my will almost always freeze up once a day, and wont do it again.

regarding the psu, i do plan on either buying another 250 to sli or maybe just get a single 4xx card.

thanks again.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep, RAM is more likely to be bad new than go bad over time at least in my experience. Try memtest:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Are you sure your RAM voltage is right? What RAM do you have? Windows 7 also has a RAM testing tool built in if you are running it. You can also run a stress test like Prime95 or Everest. These will stress both CPU and memory and report failures.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Blak0ut

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
alright sorry for the delay been quite busy.
i ran prime for about 3hrs and nothing came up.
a friend of mine happened to mention to change the power settings and when i went into the settings it was set on power saver so i put it on high performance and everything stopped. only problem is that the past couple days it has been idle at 41-43c and around 50c load. it may be running a little hotter due to the weather but until i can pick up a after market heat sink im going to try it out on balanced.

thanks a lot of all the feedback!!