Sign in with
Your question

New internal HDD issue

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2012 7:19:08 PM

Hi,

I've just built a new system with an SSD and a seagate 3tb st3000 HDD - I've installed win 7 64bit on the SSD without any problems, but now it's loaded up it's not showing the 3tb drive in my computer.
It's under device manager and it's in the bios. IIRC sata drives don't have jumpers for being slave drives so I don't think I needed to touch the drive? And there was no software with it though I guess it may need some or need formatting or something? I think my last one was just ready to use.

I've put my other 2 HDDs in now(with O/S's) and they're picked up fine, although I'm not given the boot choice on startup (but I'll worry about that issue later).
Any ideas why the storage drive isn't showing? 3TB should be recognizable for this system so I'm a bit confused.

More about : internal hdd issue

a b G Storage
June 27, 2012 7:34:28 PM

I could be wrong but I think the 3TB requres Bios or software updates to be accesses. 2TB was a limitation due to the ability to access beyond that. I forget what special considerations there were. I recall reading something to that effect some time ago.
June 27, 2012 8:13:56 PM

That's correct, although I think as it's a new Z77 MB they are meant to have the right bios for 3TB drives - even so I would have expected it to at least show as 2TB, especially if it's in the bios and device manager, but it's just not there. :/ 
Related resources
June 27, 2012 9:16:55 PM

Never mind, disk management has finally decided I can format it as a simple drive so it's showing now as 3TB :) 
a c 353 G Storage
June 27, 2012 9:41:20 PM

New HDDs require initialization/patitioning/formating before showing up in My computer. as you found out i9t will show up under disk management and allow you to set it up and assign a drive letter.
!