Your question

CPU Problem

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2010 3:57:09 PM

Hello,When my CPU is working flat out my computer keeps switching off. I have been useing Task Manger to watch the useage. COULD THIS BE A FAULTY CPU? If this is so how can I identify what my Motherboard will accept in new CPUs.
Bill.

More about : cpu problem

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 4:00:01 PM

It probably isn't a defective CPU.

What are your system specs? Are you overclocking?

Let's find out why the system is shutting down before we blindly start upgrading.
July 19, 2010 4:08:04 PM

jsc said:

Let's find out why the system is shutting down before we blindly start upgrading.

How do I look at my system specs?
Related resources
July 19, 2010 4:25:37 PM

jsc said:

Do you mean by specs 1.8 PCU, 4Gb mem, 70Gb HDD. I dont know what you mean by clocking.
Bill.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 4:29:05 PM

bill_67 said:
How do I look at my system specs?

Well, you can open up the computer can look inside and tell us what you see. There also the option of using software like cpu-z and that will also tell you and us what you're computer will have. (although for the Power Supply Unit (PSU) you will still need to open up the computer and tell us what it is, what it rated capacity is.)

What we looking for is:

OS (this will be like windows xp, windows 7, OSX, Linux, ect):

Cpu:

Motherboard:

Ram:

Graphics:

PSU:

and any other devices thats not built into the motherboard (like sound cards, wifi cards, usb cards, ect):

Also please tell us how old the system is and if it is a pre-built computer (from like dell, Hp, ect) or computer built by you.

Now if it is a prebuilt computer, then maybe you can tell us a model number of the computer and we'll be able to tell you what you have and what we can do from there.

As Jsc said, lets not start throwing money around until we know what the problem is. To many people have taken this path and wasted a ton of money just to find out it was simple problem to fix.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 4:35:41 PM

bill_67 said:
Do you mean by specs 1.8 PCU, 4Gb mem, 70Gb HDD. I dont know what you mean by clocking.
Bill.

What we mean by clocking is the Hertz speed of the cpu.

In you're case, i see 1.8GHz and overclocking means going beyond rated speeds say 1.9GHz, 2.5GHz, 3.2GHz, Ect.

Although the specs giving so far, we cant really say much about anything. :??: 

If you can, download Cpu-z below and post on here the info it says about the computer. It'll gives us a detailed report of you have and we'll be able to work from there.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
!