TDMA coverage getting WORSE??

I've got an old Ericsson T19LX (actually a couple for family members too)
and I could swear the reception is getting worse on all of them.
Are the shutting down TDMA towers or something now that Cingular has
bought AT&T and doesn't use it?

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
42 answers Last reply
More about tdma coverage worse

    <see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > I've got an old Ericsson T19LX (actually a couple for family members too)
    > and I could swear the reception is getting worse on all of them.
    > Are the shutting down TDMA towers or something now that Cingular has
    > bought AT&T and doesn't use it?

    Yep, it happened to us over a year ago. They are switching to GSM it isn't
    just the AT & T thing. We always had our phone with the same service and
    started in 1999. It got worse and worse and we were reassured it was going
    to get better. Our phones stopped working at our house.

    It is a long story and it was a long battle. We paid lots of bucks to
    Cingular for over a year for their service. We complained to the BBB.
    One of the CS reps in Arkansas told us the FCC wouldn't let them use the
    towers anymore. This was a lie.

    We eventually ported to Verizon as each phone went out of contract. And
    after communication with someone in Altlanta they bought back a GSM phone
    that never worked in our house that we had to bite the bullet on when we
    ported our last phone.

    A friend of mine who lives 500 miles away is now going through the same
    thing that we did. Our problems started over 2 years ago.

    > For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    > Yeah, it's really a real address :)

    > The safe thing for Cingular to have done would be to monitor usage.
    Over
    > time and as less folks use TDMA they could migrate that capacity to
    the GSM
    > system.

    Perhaps they were monitoring it, and when there was just one family
    using the cell, it was time to cut it over :-)

    tg.

    "tom glaab" <tomglaab@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The safe thing for Cingular to have done would be to monitor usage.
    > Over
    >> time and as less folks use TDMA they could migrate that capacity to
    > the GSM
    >> system.
    >
    > Perhaps they were monitoring it, and when there was just one family
    > using the cell, it was time to cut it over :-)
    >
    > tg.

    Where we are they screwed up a whole street and with no warning. They
    should at least notify people their phones will no longer work and notify CS
    that it is a permanent thing not a temporary aberration. Also GSM did not
    work at our home. They should have let us out of our contracts.

    "Safe"? What should cingular be safe from? As soon as any areas are
    completely overlaid with gsm, and I think they all are, cingular can
    stop maintaining the tdma equipment and/or allocate more spectrum to gsm
    and/or just turn the tdma off, in those areas. All of cingular's
    customers have been and all of their future customers are being told for
    a long time now, that cingular is a gsm service. Tdma is deader than
    analog. At least around here, there are no stores where you can go in
    and buy an analog or a tdma phone.

    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "Safe"? What should cingular be safe from? As soon as any areas are
    > completely overlaid with gsm, and I think they all are, cingular can
    > stop maintaining the tdma equipment and/or allocate more spectrum to gsm
    > and/or just turn the tdma off, in those areas. All of cingular's
    > customers have been and all of their future customers are being told for
    > a long time now, that cingular is a gsm service. Tdma is deader than
    > analog. At least around here, there are no stores where you can go in
    > and buy an analog or a tdma phone.

    I'm not sure what you consider "overlaid" but in my area the GSM coverage is
    much worse than TDMA. I get a great TDMA signal at my desk while the GSM
    users have to go over to the window to get a signal. I realize that's not a
    very scientific comparison but what it comes down to one works for me and
    the other doesn't. I don't consider that completely overlaid.

    What I understood it to mean was that all the tdma antenna sites had
    gsm equipment/antennas added to them.
    None of the carriers, gsm, tdma, CDMA, claim coverage inside buildings.
    Unless of course the building owner/management have contracted with
    the carrier to have an interior antenna micro network site installed.
    If almost all the same outside areas are covered, which they likely are
    if all the tdma sites have had gsm added, that means overlaid to me.
    Within the next two years, there likely will be fill-in sites added.
    When you are at your desks, use your desk phones.
    Enjoy what works for you while you can. Soon it won't work anywhere.

    > When you are at your desks, use your desk phones.

    Nice thought but I try not to make it a habit of giving out my work phone
    for personal business and if I did I won't always be there so I'd rather
    they just call my cell phone.

    > Enjoy what works for you while you can. Soon it won't work anywhere.

    If at some time TDMA actually does get worse and doesn't work "anywhere"
    I'll re-evaluate Cingular's GSM with other carriers and see which company
    fits my needs. But to answer the original posters question, TDMA has not
    gotten worse in my area and still has better coverage than GSM. I currently
    have no reason to switch and I'm hoping by the time I'm forced to switch
    they'll have gotten the GSM coverage solved and it'll be a non-issue. I
    think it's a bit early to be worrying about it though.

    Of course, since all personal calls are made before work, after work,
    during breaks, and during lunch, one doesn't need to be at their desk to
    make them. Therefore having one's wireless carrier's signal reach
    inside to their desk is not needed.
    "If at some time tdma actually does get worse"? Off would be certainly
    worse, but there is no "if" just when. Again, if almost everywhere
    outside there is coverage, then the carriers don't feel there is a
    problem.

    > Of course, since all personal calls are made before work, after work,
    > during breaks, and during lunch, one doesn't need to be at their desk to
    > make them. Therefore having one's wireless carrier's signal reach inside
    > to their desk is not needed.

    Where did you come up with the idea that ALL personal calls are made before
    or after work? I don't think I implied that anywhere and I'm not going to
    assume that for anyone. Taking a personal call during work is not a problem.
    When I do get a call I want it to go through. If I can't receive calls
    what's the point in even having a cell phone? If the cell phone is just for
    outgoing calls then in your example I'd just use whatever phone was
    available and I wouldn't even need a cell phone. Since I use my cell phone
    primarily to receive calls it's not feasible to use whatever phone is
    available. Even if it's just to take a voice mail when I'm in the middle of
    something I want it to work where I spend a majority of my time. My main
    goal is simply to not to have to tie up company resources for personal use.
    How and when I spend my time is not an issue.

    > "If at some time tdma actually does get worse"? Off would be certainly
    > worse, but there is no "if" just when. Again, if almost everywhere
    > outside there is coverage, then the carriers don't feel there is a
    > problem.

    I can't argue that "off would be worse". But again, I think that's going to
    be far enough in the future that it's not worth worrying about right now.
    Certainly not soon enough to jump to a service that has less coverage in my
    area.

    Why are you so hot on wanting people to change to GSM before there's a need
    to? I give you one example of one person where moving to GSM would provide
    worse service and you make up reasons why that's not a problem or why YOU
    think I shouldn't be using it then anyway. If someone starts getting worse
    service with TDMA then it's time to start considering something else. The
    point of this thread was to enquire if TDMA service was getting worse. My
    answer is "no, not in all areas". That fallacy seems to be rampant in this
    newsgroup. In fact GSM worse in some areas. Until it's at least equal, where
    a person needs it, then there's no need to switch.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    JohnF wrote:

    > Where did you come up with the idea that ALL personal calls are made before
    > or after work? I don't think I implied that anywhere and I'm not going to
    > assume that for anyone. Taking a personal call during work is not a problem.
    > When I do get a call I want it to go through. If I can't receive calls
    > what's the point in even having a cell phone? If the cell phone is just for
    > outgoing calls then in your example I'd just use whatever phone was
    > available and I wouldn't even need a cell phone. Since I use my cell phone
    > primarily to receive calls it's not feasible to use whatever phone is
    > available. Even if it's just to take a voice mail when I'm in the middle of
    > something I want it to work where I spend a majority of my time. My main
    > goal is simply to not to have to tie up company resources for personal use.
    > How and when I spend my time is not an issue.

    Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use, but
    it's good that you'd prefer to not add their phone lines to the mix
    because they can bug those. Truth is, the phone lines are a renewable
    resource, but wasted time is not. OTOH, you're probably not chronic
    about it so luck with all that.

    [....]

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Per Jer:
    >Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,

    Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got paid
    for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours a week
    for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really afford to
    care?
    --
    PeteCresswell
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
    > Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    > personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use, but
    > it's good that you'd prefer to not add their phone lines to the mix
    > because they can bug those. Truth is, the phone lines are a renewable
    > resource, but wasted time is not. OTOH, you're probably not chronic
    > about it so luck with all that.

    This has gotten way off topic but since you seem to want to make an issue of
    it; I put in way more time than is required so a few minutes on a personal
    call does *not* tie up company resources. Don't assume what my companies
    policies are. Just because your fast food job won't let you take a personal
    call don't assume that all professional jobs have those same policies. Just
    trust me that this is not an issue. If this is still a problem for you then
    imagine that I'm on break or eating lunch sitting at my desk on my own time.
    I still can't receive or make a call. Continuing this discussion in no way
    contributes to the original question.

    Trying to change the subject or trying to convince me that I shouldn't be
    using it anyway doesn't change the fact TDMA still has better coverage in
    some areas than GSM. My point is to simply warn people to make sure GSM has
    coverage where they need it before making the jump. I lot of people I know
    in my area are regretting the change. This may not be the case in all areas
    but it's worth investigating first. The blanket statement that GSM coverage
    is as good as TDMA is just not true.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > Per Jer:
    >
    >>Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >>personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,
    >

    > Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got paid
    > for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours a week
    > for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really afford to
    > care?

    You must work for Wal-Mart. You have my sympathy.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per Jer:
    >
    >>Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >>personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,
    >

    > Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got paid
    > for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours a week
    > for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really afford to
    > care?

    Yeah, and that lovely new thing where some jobs are now exempt from
    overtime pay "to stimulate" the economy...
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jer wrote:
    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >
    >> Per Jer:
    >>
    >>> Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >>> personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,
    >>

    >> Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and
    >> got paid
    >> for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55
    >> hours a week
    >> for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really
    >> afford to
    >> care?
    >

    > You must work for Wal-Mart. You have my sympathy.

    Or K-Mart, or Target, or Sears, or McDonald's, or any other corporation.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    So, you have a job where they will let you work for free to them on
    your own time, that is your problem. That you try to even it out in
    your mind by cheating your company by doing personal business when you
    are being paid to work, is also your problem. Which your company may
    quite specifically point out to some day. The point was that when you
    are on your break or eating lunch, you do not have to be at your desk,
    so your wireless signal does not have to reach it, for you to make
    personal calls on your own time.
    The blanket statement is that gsm coverage where it matters to the
    carrier is in most cases as good or better than tdma coverage. Again
    the carriers do not care about indoor coverage.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > The blanket statement is that gsm coverage where it matters to the
    > carrier is in most cases as good or better than tdma coverage. Again
    > the carriers do not care about indoor coverage.

    It's not that they don't care about it, it's that they don't guarantee
    it. There is a difference. Doctors care about saving your life if the
    opportunity arises, but they don't guarantee it, either.

    TH
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message

    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >> Per Jer:
    >>
    >>>Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >>>personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,
    >>

    >> Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got
    >> paid
    >> for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours
    >> a week
    >> for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really
    >> afford to
    >> care?
    >
    > Yeah, and that lovely new thing where some jobs are now exempt from
    > overtime pay "to stimulate" the economy...

    To answer the original question, TDMA has gotten much worse in Hazen, AR.
    Cingular has a 360' tower within sight of my home. To get a TDMA signal you
    have to go outside and try to find a place to talk. That's why I switched to
    GSM, I can talk from anywhere in my home, I have a radio shop out back, a
    steel building and can use my phone there.

    Before the "change" I could use my TDMA phone in these same places.

    bamp
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    bamp wrote:

    > "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Per Jer:

    >>>Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got
    >>>paid
    >>>for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours
    >>>a week
    >>>for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really
    >>>afford to
    >>>care?
    >>
    >>Yeah, and that lovely new thing where some jobs are now exempt from
    >>overtime pay "to stimulate" the economy...
    >

    > To answer the original question, TDMA has gotten much worse in Hazen, AR.
    > Cingular has a 360' tower within sight of my home. To get a TDMA signal you
    > have to go outside and try to find a place to talk. That's why I switched to
    > GSM, I can talk from anywhere in my home, I have a radio shop out back, a
    > steel building and can use my phone there.
    >
    > Before the "change" I could use my TDMA phone in these same places.
    >
    > bamp

    Based on the limited information from your comment, I'd guess that TDMA
    is no longer offered from that tower. If that seems odd, one needs to
    understand that TDMA (and AMPS for that matter) aren't offered from each
    and every tower site.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Per Jer:
    >You must work for Wal-Mart. You have my sympathy.

    Nope. IT department of a major electric company until 10 years ago. Now I'm
    a so-called independent contractor.
    --
    PeteCresswell
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Per (Pete Cresswell):
    >IT department of a major electric company until 10 years ago. Now I'm
    >a so-called independent contractor.

    And, I should add, my observation about the uncompensated hours is based on the
    many regular employees I've worked with at a couple of major financial
    institutions over the past 10 years, NOT on my own experience.

    I get paid for every minute I work. No work, no pay. Extra work, extra
    pay.... And that's the way it should be. I feel sorry for the others.
    --
    PeteCresswell
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Well, for that matter they do not guarantee outdoor coverage either.
    However, if you complain about an outdoor location within their coverage
    area, they will look at filling it. But, if you complain about an
    indoor location, they will say sorry building penetration is beyond our
    control.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > You must work for Wal-Mart. You have my sympathy.

    In no way was it indicated whether the OP was salaried or hourly. Many
    salaried positions allow certain personal interruptions during the day
    as long as the necessary work is completed.

    TH
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Per Tropical Haven:
    >In no way was it indicated whether the OP was salaried or hourly.

    I'm the OP and I'm hourly - aggressively so. I keep a minute-by-minute journal
    of my actvities. Any non-productive activity that exceeds 8 minutes goes down
    as a 15-minute block of non-billable time.
    --
    PeteCresswell
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    > Well, for that matter they do not guarantee outdoor coverage either.
    > However, if you complain about an outdoor location within their coverage
    > area, they will look at filling it. But, if you complain about an
    > indoor location, they will say sorry building penetration is beyond our
    > control.

    But, it's true about building penetration. There are certain building
    materials that are known to allow better penetration of signals.
    However, until Cingular gets the final say in what materials and designs
    buildings may have, it's not up to them to guarantee anything about
    buildings.

    TH
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:27:58 -0500, "Turbocane"
    <Turbocane1nospamthem@comcast.net> spewed:
    >> I've got an old Ericsson T19LX (actually a couple for family members too)
    >> and I could swear the reception is getting worse on all of them.
    >> Are the shutting down TDMA towers or something now that Cingular has
    >> bought AT&T and doesn't use it?
    >
    >Yep, it happened to us over a year ago. They are switching to GSM it isn't
    >just the AT & T thing. We always had our phone with the same service and
    >started in 1999. It got worse and worse and we were reassured it was going
    >to get better. Our phones stopped working at our house.
    >
    >It is a long story and it was a long battle. We paid lots of bucks to
    >Cingular for over a year for their service. We complained to the BBB.
    >One of the CS reps in Arkansas told us the FCC wouldn't let them use the
    >towers anymore. This was a lie.
    >
    >We eventually ported to Verizon as each phone went out of contract. And
    >after communication with someone in Altlanta they bought back a GSM phone
    >that never worked in our house that we had to bite the bullet on when we
    >ported our last phone.
    >
    >A friend of mine who lives 500 miles away is now going through the same
    >thing that we did. Our problems started over 2 years ago.

    Well I'm glad to see it's not my imagination, or only my are.
    It seem so totally pointless.
    They've already GOT and PAID for the towers. How much can the damn power
    be. It doesn't even use the same frequency AFAIK, so you're right, that
    was BS.

    Of course, it could be to force everybody to buy new phones or some other
    greedmongering plot.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:55:20 GMT, Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net>
    spewed:
    > Of course, since all personal calls are made before work, after work,
    >during breaks, and during lunch, one doesn't need to be at their desk to
    >make them. Therefore having one's wireless carrier's signal reach
    >inside to their desk is not needed.
    > "If at some time tdma actually does get worse"? Off would be certainly
    >worse, but there is no "if" just when. Again, if almost everywhere
    >outside there is coverage, then the carriers don't feel there is a
    >problem.

    You're forgetting about things like employers monitoring phone calls and
    emails. Probably not manually, but logged, saved, scanned somewhere.
    It DOES happen, and the bigger the biz the more likely.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:27:20 GMT, Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net>
    spewed:
    > So, you have a job where they will let you work for free to them on
    >your own time, that is your problem. That you try to even it out in
    >your mind by cheating your company by doing personal business when you

    "cheating" your company by doing personal business at work?
    You MUST be a manager or owner of some biz. That's the disgusting
    micromanaging greed that's screwing the entire country up.
    They've got no problem asking you to work late and you get nothing for it
    because you're on salary. And you'll do it, or they'll lay you off for
    somebody they can pay less and will, or give 2 jobs to one other person
    and "downsize" you, etc. etc.

    >are being paid to work, is also your problem. Which your company may
    >quite specifically point out to some day. The point was that when you
    >are on your break or eating lunch, you do not have to be at your desk,
    >so your wireless signal does not have to reach it, for you to make
    >personal calls on your own time.

    Total disregard for employee satisfaction and this type attitude will NOT
    lead to more productivity, ie. more $ for you. Studies have been done
    that have proved it. There's a balance, like with everything.

    > The blanket statement is that gsm coverage where it matters to the
    >carrier is in most cases as good or better than tdma coverage. Again
    >the carriers do not care about indoor coverage.

    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:37:14 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
    spewed:
    >> The blanket statement is that gsm coverage where it matters to the
    >> carrier is in most cases as good or better than tdma coverage. Again
    >> the carriers do not care about indoor coverage.
    >
    >It's not that they don't care about it, it's that they don't guarantee
    >it. There is a difference. Doctors care about saving your life if the
    >opportunity arises, but they don't guarantee it, either.

    Only if you have insurance.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:43:45 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
    spewed:
    >> Well, for that matter they do not guarantee outdoor coverage either.
    >> However, if you complain about an outdoor location within their coverage
    >> area, they will look at filling it. But, if you complain about an
    >> indoor location, they will say sorry building penetration is beyond our
    >> control.
    >
    >But, it's true about building penetration. There are certain building
    >materials that are known to allow better penetration of signals.
    >However, until Cingular gets the final say in what materials and designs
    >buildings may have, it's not up to them to guarantee anything about
    >buildings.

    Example?
    I've had signal in places you'd think there couldn't be, and visa versa.
    So, wondering if there's anything non-intuitive about it.
    Just curious.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  31. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:24:12 -0500, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid>
    spewed:
    >Per Jer:
    >>Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >>personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,
    >
    >Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got paid
    >for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours a week
    >for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really afford to
    >care?

    Don't forget the 2hr+ commute time per day.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  32. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:49:23 -0400, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid>
    spewed:
    >Per Tropical Haven:
    >>In no way was it indicated whether the OP was salaried or hourly.
    >
    >I'm the OP and I'm hourly - aggressively so. I keep a minute-by-minute journal
    >of my actvities. Any non-productive activity that exceeds 8 minutes goes down
    >as a 15-minute block of non-billable time.

    Glad to see there's minuses to hourly too.
    That would make me a nervous wreck having to account for my time that
    closely. It also actually costs whoever's paying your salary $ to pay you
    for the time to keep track! Nobody ever thinks of that.

    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  33. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:21:12 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
    spewed:
    >>>Unless you're on a break, allocating your time during a work day for
    >>>personal calls *is* tying up company resources for personal use,
    >>

    >> Maybe back in the days when people mostly worked 40 hours a week, and got paid
    >> for overtime; but in today's context of people having to work 50-55 hours a week
    >> for forty hours pay in order to keep their jobs - can anybody really afford to
    >> care?
    >
    >Yeah, and that lovely new thing where some jobs are now exempt from
    >overtime pay "to stimulate" the economy...

    That's lovely. What types? Hadn't heard that one yet.
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:21:50 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> spewed:

    >>>Yeah, and that lovely new thing where some jobs are now exempt from
    >>>overtime pay "to stimulate" the economy...
    >>

    >> To answer the original question, TDMA has gotten much worse in Hazen, AR.
    >> Cingular has a 360' tower within sight of my home. To get a TDMA signal you
    >> have to go outside and try to find a place to talk. That's why I switched to
    >> GSM, I can talk from anywhere in my home, I have a radio shop out back, a
    >> steel building and can use my phone there.
    >>
    >> Before the "change" I could use my TDMA phone in these same places.
    >>
    >> bamp
    >>

    >Based on the limited information from your comment, I'd guess that TDMA
    >is no longer offered from that tower. If that seems odd, one needs to
    >understand that TDMA (and AMPS for that matter) aren't offered from each
    >and every tower site.

    Probably correct deduction.
    What is ridiculous, is they already paid for the equip., why not just
    leave it on?!

    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  35. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:21:50 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> spewed:

    >>>To answer the original question, TDMA has gotten much worse in Hazen, AR.
    >>>Cingular has a 360' tower within sight of my home. To get a TDMA signal you
    >>>have to go outside and try to find a place to talk. That's why I switched to
    >>>GSM, I can talk from anywhere in my home, I have a radio shop out back, a
    >>>steel building and can use my phone there.
    >>>
    >>>Before the "change" I could use my TDMA phone in these same places.
    >>>
    >>>bamp
    >>>

    >>Based on the limited information from your comment, I'd guess that TDMA
    >>is no longer offered from that tower. If that seems odd, one needs to
    >>understand that TDMA (and AMPS for that matter) aren't offered from each
    >>and every tower site.
    >

    > Probably correct deduction.
    > What is ridiculous, is they already paid for the equip., why not just
    > leave it on?!

    It's a trade-off situation. Given the limited spectrum availability,
    when demand for services shifts from one to another, providers
    reallocate resources to satisfy their clients. TDMA is less efficient
    than GSM, and converting from one to the other simply requires changing
    out the radios and reprogramming the network. Sometimes, a tower site
    can best serve demand if it's totally GSM, providing a TDMA signal is
    still available from neighbour sites, albeit a weak signal. Signal
    strength is measured in the open, not inside buildings, so if a customer
    already has weak TDMA coverage inside, and the only TDMA signal is
    shifted to another site further away, it's reasonable to predict that
    TDMA may no longer be available at all inside. I figure this scenario
    has already been repeated in a number of locales, but who can really
    know for certain?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Per see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid:
    >That would make me a nervous wreck having to account for my time that
    >closely. It also actually costs whoever's paying your salary $ to pay you
    >for the time to keep track!

    It was stressful at first, but after awhile it becomes just another refles.

    Also, the resulting diaries become valuable for estimating future jobs.
    --
    PeteCresswell
  37. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:27:58 -0500, "Turbocane"
    > <Turbocane1nospamthem@comcast.net> spewed:

    > Well I'm glad to see it's not my imagination, or only my are.
    > It seem so totally pointless.
    > They've already GOT and PAID for the towers. How much can the damn power
    > be. It doesn't even use the same frequency AFAIK, so you're right, that
    > was BS.

    Not having followed this thread all along it makes me wonder what you are
    talking about????

    MOST of the towers are not owned by the individual carriers.

    ALL of the TDMA carriers that are transitioning to GSM are using the same
    towers, antennas, and ground/floor space in the compounds/buildings. In some
    instances they are adding antennas but typically these are dual band
    antennas to handle the newly aquired frequencies of the "bought" company.
    AND they are shared between the TDMA and the GSM equipment.

    As GSM is added, TDMA is whittled away at. This gives more bandwidth for GSM
    and less (eventually none at all) to TDMA.

    As for Frequency, the frequency spectrum for a given carrier does not change
    because they are transitioning to GSM. They are re-using the same
    frequencies/bandwidth and thus the need to dwindle the TDMA and increase the
    GSM. One would hope that they are doing this in conjuncton with the traffic
    on the site balancing between remaining TDMA customers and new GSM
    customers.

    As for the cost of the power (I am guessing that you are talking about AC
    Power from the local utility) a typical cell site will run about $2000 a
    month.

    On the other hand, depending on the carrier and the location, the cell site
    generates a lot of money. Profits are still marginal for all of the USA
    carriers however as they are continually growing and adding and (in the case
    of TDMA/GSM - and soon to be WCDMA) changing. All this costs money.

    > Of course, it could be to force everybody to buy new phones or some other
    > greedmongering plot.

    They have no "Greed Mongering PLOT" over and above the natural business
    desire to make a profit and sell at a competitive price.

    You sound bitter and sound like you expect to get something for nothing.
    Won't happen!
  38. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <vQKee.6420$GQ5.5016@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    "John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote:

    > As for Frequency, the frequency spectrum for a given carrier does not change
    > because they are transitioning to GSM. They are re-using the same
    > frequencies/bandwidth and thus the need to dwindle the TDMA and increase the
    > GSM. One would hope that they are doing this in conjuncton with the traffic
    > on the site balancing between remaining TDMA customers and new GSM
    > customers.

    Judging by the myriad complains of TDMA users, this is the exception.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    >>Based on the limited information from your comment, I'd guess that TDMA
    >>is no longer offered from that tower. If that seems odd, one needs to
    >>understand that TDMA (and AMPS for that matter) aren't offered from each
    >>and every tower site.
    >
    > Probably correct deduction.
    > What is ridiculous, is they already paid for the equip., why not just
    > leave it on?!

    For the same reason that carriers offering AMPS are ithching for that
    day in 2007 when they can turn the equipment off: it takes up bandwidth.

    If the old TDMA equipment is left on, that means one or more channels
    are going to be devoted to old-school TDMA and unavailable to GSM. GSM,
    I presume, uses each channel more efficiently and can pack more users
    onto a channel, so it makes sense to "encourage" the veteran users of
    TDMA to upgrade.

    Over time, the same will be true when UMTS/WCDMA starts to roll out in
    force. Cingular will want to "encourage" another migration to be able
    to pack in even more users into the limited spectrum they have.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <117nnd8k4vgm447@corp.supernews.com>,
    Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

    > see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    >
    > >>Based on the limited information from your comment, I'd guess that TDMA
    > >>is no longer offered from that tower. If that seems odd, one needs to
    > >>understand that TDMA (and AMPS for that matter) aren't offered from each
    > >>and every tower site.
    > >
    > > Probably correct deduction.
    > > What is ridiculous, is they already paid for the equip., why not just
    > > leave it on?!
    >
    > For the same reason that carriers offering AMPS are ithching for that
    > day in 2007 when they can turn the equipment off: it takes up bandwidth.
    >
    > If the old TDMA equipment is left on, that means one or more channels
    > are going to be devoted to old-school TDMA and unavailable to GSM. GSM,
    > I presume, uses each channel more efficiently and can pack more users
    > onto a channel, so it makes sense to "encourage" the veteran users of
    > TDMA to upgrade.
    >
    > Over time, the same will be true when UMTS/WCDMA starts to roll out in
    > force. Cingular will want to "encourage" another migration to be able
    > to pack in even more users into the limited spectrum they have.

    Limited? You must be talking about SprintPCS native coverage.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:

    >>Over time, the same will be true when UMTS/WCDMA starts to roll out in
    >>force. Cingular will want to "encourage" another migration to be able
    >>to pack in even more users into the limited spectrum they have.
    >

    > Limited? You must be talking about SprintPCS native coverage.

    thanks for proving your illiteracy again, Phillipe.

    I was referring to the amount of bandwidth Cingular has available to it.
    There isn't any carrier in the US who is willing to divide the
    spectrum they have among AMPS, TDMA, GSM *and* WCDMA, all at once.
    Cingular in particular will want to turn down AMPS and TDMA if it can,
    before fully committing to UMTS,

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    >
    >>> Over time, the same will be true when UMTS/WCDMA starts to roll out
    >>> in force. Cingular will want to "encourage" another migration to be
    >>> able to pack in even more users into the limited spectrum they have.
    >>

    >> Limited? You must be talking about SprintPCS native coverage.
    >

    > thanks for proving your illiteracy again, Phillipe.
    >
    > I was referring to the amount of bandwidth Cingular has available to it.
    > There isn't any carrier in the US who is willing to divide the spectrum
    > they have among AMPS, TDMA, GSM *and* WCDMA, all at once. Cingular in
    > particular will want to turn down AMPS and TDMA if it can, before fully
    > committing to UMTS,

    According to my Cingular pals, they're installing UMTS equipment all
    over the place as I hammer out this message. As to how that impacts any
    particular coverage of AMPS or TDMA, I haven't a clue.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Cingular Ericsson Internet Service Providers