Need a replacement for CD-RW/DVD drive for Toshiba Satellite

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 1:43:53 AM

Hello,

Can anyone point to a place where I can find a reasonably-priced
replacement for a dead CD-RW/DVD drive in a Toshiba Satellite
5005-S504. I've been hunting around and only found one place
that had them and they wanted $329! The computer itself isn't
worth a whole lot more than that.

If there aren't any cheaper replacements, is there a compatible
drive that is just a CD or CD/DVD that would fit? That would
at least allow boots from the CD and watching DVD's.

Lastly, how do you remove/replace this drive? There seems to
be only one screw holding it in the case, but removing that
doesn't allow the drive to slide out. Is there another screw?
A latch of some sort? Do you have to take the whole bottom of
the notebook off?

TIA for pointers.

Stephen Porter
LA, CA
October 2, 2004 10:42:02 AM

try looking for a usb drive my be cheaper
"Stephen Porter" <stp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point to a place where I can find a reasonably-priced
> replacement for a dead CD-RW/DVD drive in a Toshiba Satellite
> 5005-S504. I've been hunting around and only found one place
> that had them and they wanted $329! The computer itself isn't
> worth a whole lot more than that.
>
> If there aren't any cheaper replacements, is there a compatible
> drive that is just a CD or CD/DVD that would fit? That would
> at least allow boots from the CD and watching DVD's.
>
> Lastly, how do you remove/replace this drive? There seems to
> be only one screw holding it in the case, but removing that
> doesn't allow the drive to slide out. Is there another screw?
> A latch of some sort? Do you have to take the whole bottom of
> the notebook off?
>
> TIA for pointers.
>
> Stephen Porter
> LA, CA
October 2, 2004 10:47:52 AM

get a external usb dvd burner and a pcmcia usb 2.0 or firewire card that
would be a lot cheaper than
329 dollars. You may not be able to boot from it unless your bios will let
you.

"Stephen Porter" <stp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point to a place where I can find a reasonably-priced
> replacement for a dead CD-RW/DVD drive in a Toshiba Satellite
> 5005-S504. I've been hunting around and only found one place
> that had them and they wanted $329! The computer itself isn't
> worth a whole lot more than that.
>
> If there aren't any cheaper replacements, is there a compatible
> drive that is just a CD or CD/DVD that would fit? That would
> at least allow boots from the CD and watching DVD's.
>
> Lastly, how do you remove/replace this drive? There seems to
> be only one screw holding it in the case, but removing that
> doesn't allow the drive to slide out. Is there another screw?
> A latch of some sort? Do you have to take the whole bottom of
> the notebook off?
>
> TIA for pointers.
>
> Stephen Porter
> LA, CA
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 11:58:06 AM

Stephen Porter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point to a place where I can find a reasonably-priced
> replacement for a dead CD-RW/DVD drive in a Toshiba Satellite
> 5005-S504. I've been hunting around and only found one place
> that had them and they wanted $329! The computer itself isn't
> worth a whole lot more than that.
>
> If there aren't any cheaper replacements, is there a compatible
> drive that is just a CD or CD/DVD that would fit? That would
> at least allow boots from the CD and watching DVD's.
>
> Lastly, how do you remove/replace this drive? There seems to
> be only one screw holding it in the case, but removing that
> doesn't allow the drive to slide out. Is there another screw?
> A latch of some sort? Do you have to take the whole bottom of
> the notebook off?
>
> TIA for pointers.
>
> Stephen Porter
> LA, CA

http://www.newegg.com has an NEC slim CD/DVD+/-RW for $159 or so. Use
their search with NEC slim to find it. They have others from much less
also.

a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 1:03:04 PM

I don't own your specific Model and don't rember how I had to make
things to get it out of our very old Toshiba Satellite.

Maybe the connector is orthogonal (90 degree) from the way you would
pull out the drive. That's soetimes the case. So you have to lift the
drive on the rear end or even to unscrew the two sides of the
connector.
!