Looking for external flash recommendations for Nikon Coolp..

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 10, 2004 8:54:42 AM

Good morning, all!

I'm in the market for a replacement for my Vivitar 728
external flash that I've been using with my Nikon 5700. The
Vivitar suddenly & mysteriously just stopped charging a few
days ago so it can no longer be used.

I would appreciate some make and model recommendations as to
what flash I should buy now. Here are my requirement:

1) electrically compatible with the Nikon 5700, meaning that
it will attach to the 5700's flash shoe and take firing
signals from the 5700 but is voltage compatible so it
doesn't fry the Nikon. NO communication as to exposure or
focus is expected or wanted (my current Vivitar can do TTL
auto exposure and auto focus but only with a Nikon DSLR).

2) Very simple flash, no fancy frills or feature. No
controls required beyond a handy guide number chart to set
exposure manually

3) Guide Number 90-100

4) Price: under US$100

5) Tilting flash head from 0 to 90 degrees from horizontal

6) Nice-to-have: extendable flash head and fresnel lens to
put light out at correct angle depending on camera's zoom
lens. e.g., my current Vivitar can be set from 28mm to 85mm
(35mm equivalent).

7) Reliable! Can't belive my Vivitar went south in only 3
months! It looks like the battery contacts inside the flash
are intermittent so no juice gets to the electronics
anymore.

If there are important features that my Nikon 5700 can use
that I should be aware of, please tell me what to look for.
Thanks for any and all help.

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
December 10, 2004 8:05:09 PM

All Things Mopar <usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote in

> I would appreciate some make and model recommendations as to
> what flash I should buy now. Here are my requirement:

I've always had good luck and good results with SunPak flashes. The last
one I bought is probably 15 years old. I have one with a Nikon dedicated
module, but they make them in non dedicated versions too, if that's what
you want, and it's pretty easy to "undedicate" an off brand module by
pulling the extra pins out of it ;-)

You can get a 433d for $76 at B&H. GN 120, tilt and swivel head,
adjustable power. For $20 more you can get a 444D which has a manual push
pull frensel lens and optional AC power (but seems to otherwise be the
same unit).

I have a 433D that I got used at a camera store for about $15. Works
great.

Bob
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:03:49 AM

bob commented courteously ...

> I've always had good luck and good results with SunPak
> flashes. The last one I bought is probably 15 years old. I
> have one with a Nikon dedicated module, but they make them
> in non dedicated versions too, if that's what you want,
and
> it's pretty easy to "undedicate" an off brand module by
> pulling the extra pins out of it ;-)

Hi, Bob. I assume you'd recommend I get the Nikon version
for the least in problems, right?

> You can get a 433d for $76 at B&H. GN 120, tilt and swivel
> head, adjustable power. For $20 more you can get a 444D
> which has a manual push pull frensel lens and optional AC
> power (but seems to otherwise be the same unit).

What's "B&H"?

I can't honestly say I saw that much difference with the
pull-out fresnel lens thingie. Have you used this to
advantage with your camera?

Thanks for the info.

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
December 11, 2004 11:40:56 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:03:49 -0600, in rec.photo.digital All Things Mopar
<usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote:

>What's "B&H"?

A very reputable store in Manhattan that has decent prices.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 6:17:12 PM

bob commented courteously ...

> You can get a 433d for $76 at B&H. GN 120, tilt and swivel
> head, adjustable power. For $20 more you can get a 444D
> which has a manual push pull frensel lens and optional AC
> power (but seems to otherwise be the same unit).

Hi, Bob.

I Googled for 'sunpak 433d' and came up with a number of
sites that sell it. I also went to Sunpak's web site. It's
strange to me that Sunpak neither sells directly nor has
very good info on their products. There was scarcely more
info that you'd provided me on the 433D.

Anyway, based on what I learned and your recommendation, I
searched for the best price and came up with
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/. Interestingly, when the
order confirmation came to me it was called "B & H" but had
the other URL.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 6:19:05 PM

Ed Ruf commented courteously ...

>>What's "B&H"?
>
> A very reputable store in Manhattan that has decent
prices.

> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Thanks, Ed.

B & H must have an alter ego. As I mentioned just now in a
reply to Bob, I wound up buying the Sunpak 433D from
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/, but when the order
confirmation came to me, it said "B & H".

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
December 13, 2004 6:22:49 PM

> Anyway, based on what I learned and your recommendation, I

Hi Jerry,

I think you'll be happy with your 433 when you get it.

I've been using my 433 quite a bit recently. Mostly I leave it at the wide
setting. I think it difuses the light a little, making it less harsh. The
flip up bounce card is handy. It makes a big difference, although if you
don't have a ceiling to bounce off of, the range is pretty limited.

Mostly I leave it set at the blue star ("ttl"), which works pretty well
most of the time. I always look at the image on the LCD to see if it's
reasonable or not.

I use NiCd rechargables in mine, which seem to perform well, despite
warnings to the contrary.

Always make sure the flash is completely mounted to the camera. If it's not
pushed all the way into the shoe it won't fire.

Bob
!