Building a new system. NEED ADVICE on components

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Ok I am building a new PC for myself. It will be my first complete build.

I will be using the Gigabyte 890 ud3h
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&cm_re=gigabyte_890-_-13-128-435-_-Product

and will be using either the AMD Phenom II 3.4ghz quad core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&cm_re=amd_phenom_II-_-19-103-727-_-Product

or the new 3.2ghz 6 core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849&cm_re=amd_phenom_II-_-19-103-849-_-Product

I would really appreciate advice on what combination of components to get.

I would prefer to use supertalent ram since its made in the USA. But if there is other ram made in America I would be open to it. I would like to fill all my dimm slots with 8 gigs of ram. What is THE FASTEST, BEST RAM that I can put in this thing? Heat might be an issue so I need it to run as cool as possible. Prince is not an object when it comes to this things ram.

I am using a rather old full tower case and am unsure as to it's airflow efficiency, so heat may very well be a serious issue that I need to deal with. It dose have 4 80mm stock fans though.
SO

A. Which processor runs cooler? The 4 or the six core?

B. I need to seriously cool this thing. What is the best and (and preferably quite) way to do this under $100? What fan/heatsink should I use? I'm concerned because the dimm slots are rather close to the CPU and it needs to fit and not overheat the ram.

I want this thing to be as fast as possible. Thanks ahead of time.

PS This is my first time building anything with new components. I'm used to working with old stuff so if Anything I'm doing here sounds really stupid please correct me.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

tecmo34

Administrator
^+1 on the RAM suggestions

A. The AMD Phenom II X4 955 will run cooler than the X6, since it has two less cores. With that said, it is really only dependent on the stock cooler. Cooling of the CPU will improve with an aftermarket cooler, which makes them pretty even.

B.) COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - Your CPU cooler for $27 and I would look to possible upgrade your case (Can you provide Make & Model for our review??)

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I have two cases availible

An Enlight 890200, ATX Full Tower Pictured here
!BYb79V!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLmZqN)BKhhK9mhF!~~_35.JPG

Regular 5.25" Bays - 7
Regular 3.5" Bays - 2
Regular External 3.5" Bays - 1
Motherboard I/O Expansion Slots - Up to 8
Intrusion Switch - No
Chassis Type - Full Tower
Cooling System - 4xFan 80mm, 2 in front, 2 in back
Dimensions WxDxH - 8.3"x21.1"x24.7"

My other is a CalPC full tower Pictured here

Fulltower2.jpg

Mine is the one in the middle.

Interior pic
insidetower.jpg

All Steel Construction
Ten 5.25" Drive Bays
Two Internal 3.5" Drive Bays
Accepts up to Four Cooling Fans
(I don't know how many mine has as it is in storage, I could always add more)
24"H x 7½"W x 22½ "
Weight = 45 lbs.

I will probably use the Enlight for this build first but it could go the other way. If I don't use the calpc on for this build I will be using it for a very similar build in the near future.

tecmo34

Administrator
Interesting cases... They look like server cases over a gaming case. Cooling maybe an issue with airflow (not a major concern as a server). You will need to go with four fans in each and look to modify to 120mm over 80mm, if possible.

Another option is sell the cases amd use the money to but a newer/better cooling case. ???

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
So if I upgrade the fans to 120mm I should be fine?

Will that cooler really crank out the cold without intruding on the ram on this mobo?

What do you mean server over gaming case?

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes, 120mm fans will provide better cooling.

The Hyper 212 Plus will not intrude on the RAM unless you are going all out for Corsair Dominators and mount horizontal vs. vertical. I would recommend installing your RAM first for ease of installation of the RAM.

What I mean by a Server case vs Gaming case is the cooling setup & amount of slots. Most gaming cases have less 5.25 slots & and more 3.25 slots with 120mm fans. The cases are design for better air flow from front to back.