Sign in with
Your question

Display issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2010 3:59:14 PM

Been having an unusual problem with my display/video graphics that i am sure has any easy explanation that just evades me.

Has to do with older games and application that utilize a full screen mode that run lower resolutions. When running these games/programs they will only occupy a small portion of the center of my 24" monitor. Where as what used to happen would be the image being stretched to occupy the whole monitor, obviously granulating the image in the process, however, now i get to play on a pint sized view point.

I am unsure if this is a setting i can alter or a hardware issue.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : display issue

April 14, 2010 1:13:01 AM

Many games have a screen or link with a tab or a box you can access to change the video settings, including screen resolution settings, and various video settings, like Low, Medium, or High quality effects; some have a setting for playing the game in full screen or in a "windowed box." See if your game has a setup screen, or a separate application in the games' program folder for hardware settings.
m
l
April 14, 2010 3:39:49 PM

treefrog07 said:
Many games have a screen or link with a tab or a box you can access to change the video settings, including screen resolution settings, and various video settings, like Low, Medium, or High quality effects; some have a setting for playing the game in full screen or in a "windowed box." See if your game has a setup screen, or a separate application in the games' program folder for hardware settings.

This issue exists outside what ever preset/alterable parameters are available in the games/programs. I have explored all changeable settings. Perhaps it is a lacking of my monitor, however with other equally low res modes, the image encompasses the entire screen as opposed to the center 50% of the screen.

I built the same rig for myself and my younger brother, and he has the same issue when he plays diablo 2. However, his friend running on a similar rig, on an equally sized 24" monitor does not have this issue nor does he have it with a number of other programs that we do.

m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 3:36:58 AM

OK, you may be able to resolve the issue using your video card's control software, for ATI cards, that is Catalyst Control Center (CCC). I haven't used NVidia cards for about 8 years, so I don't know it's control software. If you have ATI's CCC, go to the Digital Panel (DVI) 2 Attributes and verify that you are using Image Scaling, radio button for "Scale image to full panel size." If that doesn't work, browse through the other settings to see you can enable it.
m
l
April 15, 2010 3:40:16 PM

I do use ATI cards. I am away for the weekend but i will give it a whirl as soon as i return. Ill post the results.

Thanks for you input!
m
l
!