Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Case Fans

Last response: in Components
July 19, 2010 4:41:39 PM

Hello all! Im buying a new case, and the case will likley have 6 fans. Therefore, im wondering what fans to buy. They have to be from newegg, and id prefer they be pretty quiet, considering ill have 6 of them, maybe 4. Im likely gonna need 4 120 mm fans, and 2 140mm fans, heres the fans ive found so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (or another gentle typhoon)

below 25 dB is really what im shooting for here, and it would be nice to have atleast a 2/1 cfm/dB ratio. Most of them probably lie, so personal experiences are really helpful too. I dont really know many good 140 mm fans, but a good one or 2 would be nice. Also, as far as a CM 690 II, anybody have any advice on the best fan setup? Lastly, anybody recommend a 6 fan fan controller for a 5.25 bay?

More about : case fans

July 19, 2010 5:03:14 PM

so all those are better than everything i listed?
Score
Related resources
July 19, 2010 5:26:48 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how Cubic feet per minute of air flow doesn't effect cooling? (I suppose if I blow hot air, which I have been accused of)

I like 1 or 4 (#1 if spec is correct)
Score
July 19, 2010 5:36:05 PM

yeah, ive gotten mixed opinions on that one. if specs are correct, then of course, but i highly doubt specs are correct. and i guess he means its not how much air the are blowing, but in what pattern.
Score
July 19, 2010 5:50:15 PM

wasnt that done 3 years ago?
Score
July 19, 2010 6:02:33 PM

ares1214 said:
wasnt that done 3 years ago?

All those fans are still made to this day.
If you are someone else has some groundbreaking news on fan design advancement i'm all ears.
It's like saying doesn't Chrysler have a better HEMI engine they've had those 5.7's since 2003.
Score
July 19, 2010 6:09:12 PM

im just saying, im sure upgrades and new fan designs have come out in the past 3 years.
Score
July 19, 2010 6:16:59 PM

Antec TriCools are good fans. They have 3 speed switches and are nearly silent on low while still moving quite a bit of air. They come with or without LEDs. I have 7 of them in my Antec 1200 and have been very happy with them.
And no fan technology really has not changed in the last 3 years.
Score
July 19, 2010 6:24:20 PM

You're correct i purchased a fan at micro center 3 months ago It had ridiculous Db and CFM ratings. well I spent $28 or $38 dollars for it and it beats all my fans in CFM and is super quiet. Problem is I can't remember the model name etc.. But I do remember it had lots of air flow and low db. I will buy several more and slowly replace the stock antec fans. Next time I'll save the package. (who thought fans would be so important)
Score
July 19, 2010 6:25:34 PM

opps,
Score
July 19, 2010 6:25:39 PM

ares1214 said:
im just saying, im sure upgrades and new fan designs have come out in the past 3 years.

Well if that were the case don't you think Nexus(Yate Loon),Scythe,and Noctua would be in the forefront with new designs.
Even Antec which has no new offerings.
Just saying.
Btw you could do much worse then what has been suggested.
I use Antec TriCools 5 of them in my 902 and they are quiet on low like anort3 mentioned.
When replacement time comes i will probably try the LED Nexus fans.
Another good quiet fan maker is Thermalright i have two X-Silent 120mm on my HS and they're very quiet.
The TR-FDB 1300 is a quiet fan.
Score
July 19, 2010 6:34:20 PM

so back on topic, of the 4 fans i listed, what is the best cfm/dB ratio, or what has the best airflow and least noise? or are the ones you suggested better?
Score
July 19, 2010 6:49:51 PM

The S-FLEX are pretty hard to beat at their pricepoint.
It's hard to imagine you would be disappointed with their performance.
Plus they're discounted when you buy more then one.
They are considered to have the best bearings in the industry(Sony fluid bearings)
I would go with those and the CM R4-140mm for top exhaust although the Noctua 140mm is better but they are expensive.
You do have a very case as far as air-flow goes.
I have a CM 690II Basic for my secondary rig i added a TriCool on the side and an CM R4 140mm on top.
The R4 moves so much air noise can be noticeably heard and it's air/wind noise cuz of the high cfm.
So there's definitely a trade-off when considering a high cfm fan even if the fan has a low decibel rating.
Score
July 19, 2010 7:02:28 PM

you consider the S-FLEX to be better than the Gentle Typhoon???? the Gentle Typhoon are cheaper too. is there something im missing?
Score
July 19, 2010 7:30:59 PM

ares1214 said:
you consider the S-FLEX to be better than the Gentle Typhoon???? the Gentle Typhoon are cheaper too. is there something im missing?

The decision is your's but yes the S-FLEX's are cheaper $14.99 when you buy 2-3.$13.49 if you buy 4.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
S-Flex's have better bearings.
Score
July 19, 2010 7:35:20 PM

that may be true, but it seems the GT give more airflow and less noise.
Score
July 19, 2010 7:36:01 PM

but what about the enermax and TT i listed??? the enermax's specs look good, but i have a hard time believing they are true.
Score
July 19, 2010 7:37:21 PM

mhelm1 said:
You're correct i purchased a fan at micro center 3 months ago It had ridiculous Db and CFM ratings. well I spent $28 or $38 dollars for it and it beats all my fans in CFM and is super quiet. Problem is I can't remember the model name etc.. But I do remember it had lots of air flow and low db. I will buy several more and slowly replace the stock antec fans. Next time I'll save the package. (who thought fans would be so important)

i got this fan at microcenter a few weeks ago, http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

14db and 72CFM

stuck in my case, the 72CFM may be accurate (most likely in the 60's) but its no where near 14db, more like 30db. I returned it immediately. I've also tried CM fans but found them louder then their stated db also. I pretty much stick to antec tri-cool now.
Score
July 19, 2010 7:42:21 PM

yeah, almost all fans lie. luckily though, i checked the manufacturer on the GT fans, they actually are what they say, you just have to convert the one thing to cfm.

Score
July 19, 2010 7:51:14 PM

but why so many fans in the CM 690 II?

one 120mm in the back as exhaust
one 140mm in the front as intake
one 140mm up top as exhaust

that would be perfect airflow
Score
July 19, 2010 8:12:27 PM

well i havent decided yet on the CM 690 II, its between that, the NZXT Tempest EVO, Storm Sniper BE, and Scout. Although im probably gonna end up buying 4 replacement fans for them, so i just wanna know what fans are good. 6 may be a bit much :whistle:  although on the CM 690 II, there are 2 side slots, 2 tops slots, and then 1 for front and back, so i was think that. but im not sure.
Score
July 19, 2010 8:21:31 PM

take the extra $30-40 you plan to spend on case fans. Invest it in a better CPU fan and cooler for your video card. If the rest of your case has solid airflow, it will improve your cooling far better the side fans.

in fact I've found extra fans can create more heat

Score
July 19, 2010 8:30:56 PM

What are the specs on the stock case fans? That big CM 690 II has an internal volume a bit less than 2 CF.

Your cooling performance probably won't improve greatly (if at all) changing out the warm air inside the case once every second or two versus changing out the air once every quarter second. Too much airflow into the case can affect the flow pattern and actually cause 'dead spots' where heat can build up.

You should probably run the stock fans and measure the cooling performance and make some judgment about noise levels before making any changes. That testing should tell you how much air you need to move and how much quieter the fans should be. And the 'before' testing will also let you know if your fan placement is optimum as you continue testing with the replacement fans.

Score
July 19, 2010 8:36:24 PM

im not necessarily asking for more fans, im asking for what are the best fans out of the ones i listed.
Score
July 19, 2010 8:50:06 PM

ares1214 said:
im not necessarily asking for more fans, im asking for what are the best fans out of the ones i listed.

if it was my case, I would go with the enermax. Its stats look to be the most accurate. The CM fans hits 2k RPM but there is no way it stays under 20db. I had one in my old case at 2k RPM...it was loud (30db+)...and got replaced fast.
Score
July 19, 2010 8:55:33 PM

yeah, those do look promising. The only thing is, im not sure if the stats ARE right, i know the gentle typhoon stats are right. this might make this easier, the fan has to be able to be controlled via 5.25 fan controller, does that take anything out?
Score
July 19, 2010 9:07:46 PM

both will work with your controller. they both seem like fine fans. I like the fact you can clean the enermax easier. Its not a major benefit but its nice.
Score
July 19, 2010 9:22:00 PM

true. would either one be better suited to a certain position, or is 1 (looking to be the enermax) just better overall. and i dont have the CM 690 II advanced, im just strongly considering getting it, like i said, its between that, the NZXT Tempest EVO, Storm Sniper, Storm Scout, and Lian Li pc-k62. im just favoring the EVO, Sniper, and 690 II avdanced.
Score
July 19, 2010 9:36:26 PM

you can place them in intake or exhaust. if you plan to get two, why not one of each?

I would also give the stock case fans a chance, they may not be so bad and save you some money.
Score
February 28, 2012 3:42:25 AM

When it comes to your four 120mm fans im sure youd like to get them as quiet as posible..This weekend i just picked up 3 120mm fans from Antec call the Antec True Quiet Pro 120mm fans im sure newegg sells
them and man these fans are super quiet they come with a high and low switch on high 1200 rpm at 18 dba and at low 600 rpm at 10 dba there no doubt there the best on the market..After installing them i had to check them out to see if they were really working there that quiet...heres a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLq7mAisRRw
Score
February 28, 2012 4:11:22 AM

Cougar Fans.
Score
February 28, 2012 4:39:07 AM

Read the thread before posting........it's from 2010.
Score
February 28, 2012 4:44:15 AM

lmao..
Score
February 28, 2012 4:56:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!