Aftermarket cooler fitting on the P67a-UD4 that clears all DIMMS

Mangonaley

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hello TH,

This is my first time posting on TH but i always read the stuff on here and I think it's great.

Im recently gathering the parts for my new build and I have chosen to go with the gigabyte P67a-UD4 motherboard (not purchased yet). However, i have already purchased Corsair Vengeance RAM which is pretty tall.

So my question is,What aftermarket cpu coolers can I put on this board that leaves all the DIMM clear.

I was looking at the TT-FRIO but Dimensions of the cooler are vague because some have 2 fans or 1 fan measurements.

Thanks you

That RAM will severely limit your options....unfortunately manufacturers still put these things on their RAM modules despite the fact that they do little more than "look cool". Are they still within the vendor's return period as that would be your best option ?

Would suggest some plain ole Mushkin or Cosair . Really liking these new CAS 7's from Mushkin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226178

Mangonaley

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the quick response.
The ram does look good and where i was, i couldn't get the mushkin red lines.

What if I was to hit it up with water cooling (the simpler way), with the corsair H50 or the H70? I've heard good reviews on the H70, but ive also googled the problems some ppl have about the tubes leaking? any ideas of how sturdy this thing is? It is fairly expensive but if it clears my ram, low profile, and quiet, cools adequately i might just get it.

I also had a look at the noctua C12p SE 14 i think thats what its called, its like a top down heat sink instead of the tower. What are ppls opinions on this? WIll it cool as well as a frio would when overclocking an i5 2500k? Or maybe not as much? but if its only a few degrees difference i wouldnt mind.

Btw, i wont be doing hardcore overclocks like 5ghz, probaly just hit 4.0 and a bit more and ill be happy.

Edit: I should say, ive only got the 8gb (4gb x 2) of the vengeance, but I dont kno the spacing of the p67aud4 of the socket to the closest dimm. If the Frio, or another recommneded cooler covers the 1st closest dimm, i guess that would be okay, Its just i wanted to keep my options open.

But yeah, any info on the FRIO's clearance with this particular motherboard would be handy.

Also, opinions on the corsair A70 compared to the FRIO in terms of performance and my clearance issue is welcome

Mangonaley

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Having said all that, will a cooler like the FRIO or A70 or an NH-U12P-SE2 cover the first ram slot?

And out of those coolers, which is best in terms of performance and less noise. I've heard the frios fans are super loud at max, but apparently turning them down they go really quiet and still perform really well.

Mangonaley

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

Would the hyper 212+ handle a 4ghz overclock on the i5 2500k? I kno that the SB are a bit cooler than the 1366 i7s, and 212+ is a cheap alternative.

Is it a good idea to get the hyper212+, see hwo i go, use it for now, then later on if i push overclocks further and say 4.4ghz and it gets too hot, then invest in a better cooler or something?

Thanks for the reply

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Cooling involves more than just a fan. General air flow in the case is also an important factor in considering your CPU temperature. It also helps to have lower ambient temperatures. I guess it depends on what you're OC-ing for. If you're running your CPU on max load all the time, then its probably better to get something else. If not, then the 212+ should be enough.

Mangonaley

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I have a CM HAF 922 case, and im going to install an additional 200mm fan on the side panel as an intake. I would use this for pc for gaming, and my studies and the like. An, overclock of about 4ghz is what ill go for.

And my pc would probably not be at max oad all the time.