SSD speeds half that of advertised speeds

harmfulmushroom

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I just recently got a SSD; more specifically the Corsair GT 240 gb. My motherboard is also the ASUS P8Z58-V Pro. I noticed that it is only performing half as fast as was advertised. So I started googling this and tried several things already.

Turns out that I initially had it plugged into a SATAII port, and was plugged into that port when I installed windows. Since then I have moved it to a SATAIII port, still same speeds.

So my question, since I installed windows with it plugged into the SATAII port has it somehow been permanently configured to run at the speeds I am currently getting? Would a clean install fix this maybe?

As a side note, I have already updated BIOS to the current version, as well as updating the chipset and SATA drivers. SSD firmware is up to date. SATA set to AHCI mode.

Thanks in advanced for any/all help!

1) what benchmark program are you using.
Manuf use ATTO
Sandforce drives will show lower Sequencial performance if AS SSD is used.
Sata II will limit Sequencial performance.
Your Sata III ontroller is Not Much better than the Intel SATA II control, Infact for the Newer Sata III SSD when used on the OLDER MB with an OLD Marvel Sata III ontroller and a Intel Sata II control I'd run on the ntel Sata II controllers.

That said, Download AS SSD (Don't need to run the benchmark) open it and look in the Upper left. The driver should show OK NOT "BAD" and partition alignment should als So "OK"

harmfulmushroom

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I've used several; ATTO, the one you suggested and HD Tune Pro.

And to answer your last question both show "OK".

So do you suggest if I want the best SATA III speeds I should get like a SATA III PCI card?

Not sure it's worth it.
While the Sequencial performace takes what looks like a Big hit when used on SATA II - It reall has very little performance effect on a SSD used as a OS + Program drive.

Sequencial read/writes are the Least important parameter for a OS + Program drive, its the 4 K random read writes that are important and this should take a much smaller hit.
Effect is compounded by using ATTO (a HDD Benchmark) that uses Highly compressable data for its benchmark - FAR from real life, as OS + program drive is closer to "uncompressable" data. And Here the SF22xx Based controllers take a hit.

I have an Older MB (Intel Sata II) that I bought a USB3/Sata 6 Pci card for - I still limit my SSDs to the Intel Sata II ports and stuck my sata III HDD on the Pci card Sata (6) port.

My SSD may not bench high, but it still runs circles around the HDD.

I am with this post.

From the Asus site for the P8Z68-V PRO
Intel® Z68 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray <---Use this, but make sure you are in AHCI mode for best performance
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *2 <---Dont use this for the SSD
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
JMicron® JMB362 controller : *2
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red