Urgent question about installation

und

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I am currently trying to install an i7 920 D0 in my first build, and even though I have followed all of the instructions, the metal socket cover will not close fully over the processor, and therefore I can't put the lever in place without damaging the pins (I think). Is it meant to be like this, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Are you sure the CPU is correctly oriented? There should be a corner with an arrow or something similar that will line up with a corresponding mark on the socket. It should just drop into place without any resistance; don't force it.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
The processor has two small semi circle cut outs on either side. Are these lined up with the socket? The processor should fit inside. The cover does take a bit of pressure to close but you should not have to force it. Look at the sheet of paper that came with the processor and your MoBo manual. save the pin protector in case you have to send motherboard back someday.

und

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
The processor is definitely alligned correctly, as it goes in just fine. However, when I try to close the bracket over it, it doesn't close fully and therefore I can't get the pin down. If I exert any force, I can actually hear what sounds like pins bending slightly, so I don't want to force it. I've followed all of the instructions that came with my motherboard word for word.

und

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I seem to have solved my problem now anyway, by using a bit more force. Another question I have is what the metal bit on the keyboard connector on the motherboard is. Is it meant to stick out?

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
No, I think your talking about those 2 or 4 little tabs bent out at a 30-45 degree angle. Those are for grounding they should be touching the metal inside the plate for the I/O