I am a gamer so having a good computer to play games flawlessly is sort of important to me. Now that six cores are out for 900$, has Intel decided not to release core i9's? I have received advice to wait for six cores (the core i9), but now they are out I am not sure what to do. Is there a website that shows all future components that will be coming out? It has been two years since I build my last computer. Before I continue let me show you what I have.
The two games I mainly play as of late is Starcraft 2 Beta, and Bad Company 2. Starcraft 2 runs around 70 FPS in beginning and drops as more units come into play which lowers FPS to 40-50 FPS which all settings are the highest setting. Bad company 2 runs around 35-45 FPS but this game isn't that entertaining to me.
If I were to build a new system, I would keep my GTX 260, Windows 7, Case, maybe the PSU and the HDD so that lowers how much I will spend total on the new machine. I don't think the GTX 260 is the bottle neck.
Right now I have my eyes on the six core ntel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz LGA 1366for 899$ or the 2.8 GHZ Core i7 for 289$. Now, I wanted to wait till the 3.0+ ghz core i'7s dropped in price but I have waited a good 10 months and still no price drop.. I just like to stay about 3.0 ghz for some reason.
Now my questions are:
- Are the core i7's going to drop in price any time soon? What is the predicated time?
- Will the six-core processors be overkill for my type of need? I only use it for gaming. Will it be overkill in two years? Games are becoming more demanding than ever.. I usually rebuild a computer every 2 years..
- How Long will the LGA 1366 socket last?
- I was always told to wait for the new six cores, but now they are out and im sure their prices won't drop for a good year if that and that wait is to long for me. I am lookin to make a longer term investment so I won't have to build a new computer for another good 3-4 years.. so considering that, should I invest in the 6 cores? Will their prices drop in the next 6 months?
- Is there anything I should be waiting for? New motherboards or new HDD's? New features? Is there a website out there that shows us the future new components to be released in the next 2 years? Is it on TomsHardware?