<Solved> Desktop LAN issue when connected through a switch

mail2vrp

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I recently build a new desktop and I am having a weird issue with connecting the desktop to a gigabit switch. Would appreciate if you can help me with this.. thanks!!

Issue:
--------
In my home network I have got a Trendnet Gigabit Geen Switch which is sitting between my desktop and router. I have my PS3 and an HP MediaVault also connected to the switch. With this setup everything works fine except for the desktop. There is no light in the LAN interface of the desktop and Windows 7 is saying network cable is disconnected.

I tried using a different set of cables and again no luck. I tried removing everything else from the switch and still no luck. All this while if I connect my laptop instead of desktop to the same cable it works fine. Also if I connect the desktop directly to the router instead of the switch it works perfectly.

I also tried using Parted Magic live CD and there also network will work fine if I have connected to the router. No luck getting it to work when I connect it to the switch. (I am not a linux expert to try too many things there.. )

From all this I guess there seems to be some issue between the desktop and switch. MY next step is to try this with Windows XP, but that would take some time. Meanwhile can you help me with this?

Here are the specs of my system, router and switch:

1) Router - Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G-TM - Running Tomato Firmware v1.27.1798

2) TRENDnet TEG-S50G GREENnet Switch (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250)

3) Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Intel P55 Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412) - Bios Version F4

mail2vrp

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
i did that... Parted Magic is a linux live CD.. no luck. it will work if i connect directly to the router, but if diconnect the same wire on from the router and plug it into the switch it won't work. now again if i disconnect the desktop side of the same wire and plug it into my laptop it will work.

mail2vrp

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
wow.. the problem got solved!! :)

last night i left the desktop completely off the power.. as in switched off the power supply and disconnected it from the power outlet and viola today morning when i tried connecting the switch it worked fine!! so a real full power cycle helped!! till now i have always been restarting my desktop, but never thought of switching it off with the power supply switch... lesson learned!!

thanks to all those who chipped in to help.. !!

TRENDING THREADS