Creating new LAN connection

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi!
I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on

Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
"Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use. If
your connection is not working properly, click the following link."

And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?

Thx,
Agoston
6 answers Last reply
More about creating connection
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Delete the first connection, then create a new one.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Agoston Bejo" wrote:

    | Hi!
    | I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
    | New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
    | Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on
    |
    | Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
    | "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use. If
    | your connection is not working properly, click the following link."
    |
    | And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?
    |
    | Thx,
    | Agoston
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Agoston Bejo wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
    > New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
    > Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on
    >
    > Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
    > "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to
    > use. If your connection is not working properly, click the following
    > link."
    >
    > And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?

    Please post back to this thread and tell us exactly what you are trying
    to accomplish by doing this. Be sure to include information about your
    Internet connection and physical network.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Why not install a second NIC?

    "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    | Agoston Bejo wrote:
    |
    | > Hi!
    | > I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under
    Windows XP.
    | > New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up
    my Connection
    | > Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is
    always on

    | > Then I see the following message at the end of the
    wizard:
    | > "Your broadband connection should already be configured
    and ready to
    | > use. If your connection is not working properly, click
    the following
    | > link."
    | >
    | > And no new connection is created. How can I create
    another one?

    | Please post back to this thread and tell us exactly what
    you are trying
    | to accomplish by doing this. Be sure to include
    information about your
    | Internet connection and physical network.
    |
    | Malke
    | --
    | MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    | Elephant Boy Computers
    | www.elephantboycomputers.com
    | "Don't Panic!"

    See the answer below.

    > Agoston Bejo wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
    > > New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
    > > Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on
    > >
    > > Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
    > > "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to
    > > use. If your connection is not working properly, click the following
    > > link."
    > >
    > > And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?
    >
    > Please post back to this thread and tell us exactly what you are trying

    There's a laptop used in different offices. In our office the assigned IP
    address, the gateway address and the primary and secondary nameserver
    addresses differ from what is used in the other office. It would be
    convenient if we didn't always have to change these values but store them in
    different LAN connections. The appropriate one could be enabled in different
    network environments.

    Do you mean only to this thread? (For now I posted it back to all the four
    threads, but I stop doing this if you say so.)

    > to accomplish by doing this. Be sure to include information about your
    > Internet connection and physical network.

    I don't remember the IP addresses anymore, but I don't think that it matters
    much.

    Thx,
    Agoston

    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    > There's a laptop used in different offices. In our office the assigned IP
    > address, the gateway address and the primary and secondary nameserver
    > addresses differ from what is used in the other office. It would be
    > convenient if we didn't always have to change these values but store them in
    > different LAN connections. The appropriate one could be enabled in different
    > network environments.

    If you want to frequently change your TCP/IP settings on one connection,
    there are a few freeware and shareware utilities that do this. JVC bundle a
    really good one with their miniature laptops (kneetops?) that even changes
    your computer name and domain. Found this with Google, haven't tried this
    particular one, but it's free.
    http://www.softmate.co.kr/UK/ipswitcher/product-basic.htm
  6. Why not just use the Alternate Configuration in the Windows TCP/IP properties? This will automatically connect to the secondary LAN if the first one is not available.

    Open the network connection/properties/TCP/IP properties/Alternate Configuration tab and enter the secondary IP information.

    So much simpler in this case, and the software is already installed!

Configuration LAN Connection Microsoft Windows XP