Creating new LAN connection

January 21, 2005 2:18:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi!
I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on

Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
"Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use. If
your connection is not working properly, click the following link."

And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?

Thx,
Agoston
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:18:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Delete the first connection, then create a new one.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Agoston Bejo" wrote:

| Hi!
| I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
| New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
| Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on
|
| Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
| "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use. If
| your connection is not working properly, click the following link."
|
| And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?
|
| Thx,
| Agoston
January 21, 2005 2:18:15 PM

Agoston Bejo wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
> New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
> Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on
>
> Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
> "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to
> use. If your connection is not working properly, click the following
> link."
>
> And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?

Please post back to this thread and tell us exactly what you are trying
to accomplish by doing this. Be sure to include information about your
Internet connection and physical network.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Why not install a second NIC?

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
| Agoston Bejo wrote:
|
| > Hi!
| > I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under
Windows XP.
| > New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up
my Connection
| > Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is
always on

| > Then I see the following message at the end of the
wizard:
| > "Your broadband connection should already be configured
and ready to
| > use. If your connection is not working properly, click
the following
| > link."
| >
| > And no new connection is created. How can I create
another one?

| Please post back to this thread and tell us exactly what
you are trying
| to accomplish by doing this. Be sure to include
information about your
| Internet connection and physical network.
|
| Malke
| --
| MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
| Elephant Boy Computers
| www.elephantboycomputers.com
| "Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:59:13 AM

See the answer below.

> Agoston Bejo wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I'm trying to create a second LAN connection under Windows XP.
> > New Connection Wizard / Connect to the Internet / Set up my Connection
> > Manually / Connect using a broadban connection that is always on
> >
> > Then I see the following message at the end of the wizard:
> > "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to
> > use. If your connection is not working properly, click the following
> > link."
> >
> > And no new connection is created. How can I create another one?
>
> Please post back to this thread and tell us exactly what you are trying

There's a laptop used in different offices. In our office the assigned IP
address, the gateway address and the primary and secondary nameserver
addresses differ from what is used in the other office. It would be
convenient if we didn't always have to change these values but store them in
different LAN connections. The appropriate one could be enabled in different
network environments.

Do you mean only to this thread? (For now I posted it back to all the four
threads, but I stop doing this if you say so.)

> to accomplish by doing this. Be sure to include information about your
> Internet connection and physical network.

I don't remember the IP addresses anymore, but I don't think that it matters
much.

Thx,
Agoston

> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:01:01 AM

> There's a laptop used in different offices. In our office the assigned IP
> address, the gateway address and the primary and secondary nameserver
> addresses differ from what is used in the other office. It would be
> convenient if we didn't always have to change these values but store them in
> different LAN connections. The appropriate one could be enabled in different
> network environments.

If you want to frequently change your TCP/IP settings on one connection,
there are a few freeware and shareware utilities that do this. JVC bundle a
really good one with their miniature laptops (kneetops?) that even changes
your computer name and domain. Found this with Google, haven't tried this
particular one, but it's free.
http://www.softmate.co.kr/UK/ipswitcher/product-basic.h...
October 27, 2009 10:13:34 AM

Why not just use the Alternate Configuration in the Windows TCP/IP properties? This will automatically connect to the secondary LAN if the first one is not available.

Open the network connection/properties/TCP/IP properties/Alternate Configuration tab and enter the secondary IP information.

So much simpler in this case, and the software is already installed!
!