Dell's offer - CANON EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM for US..

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 10, 2004 8:25:54 AM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...

And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
Maybe they'll honour it :) )

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:39:53 AM

Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...

On 10 Dec 2004 05:25:54 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
<losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>
>And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
>Maybe they'll honour it :) )
>
>- Siddhartha

--------------------------------
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:45:00 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>
> And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
> Maybe they'll honour it :) )

Just ordered one. We'll see. ;)

--

Rob
Related resources

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:
> Just ordered one. We'll see. ;)
>
> --
>
> Rob

Me too ;-)

-Dave
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:59:58 PM

"Leith Cassone" <LCass1@usa.net> wrote in message
> Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...

Of course you know that this has now hit the web big time and Dell is
getting flooded with orders which will prompt them to investigate and make a
correction.

I've received my pre confirmation email which states full confirmation and
order number should be received with in 24 hrs.

--

Rob
Anonymous

It appears that Dell has swapped the info and picture for the 75-300 and the
100-400.

Note that the part # on the 100-400 is actually the part number for the
75-300 and visa versa. The 75-300 is pictured on a page listing the price
as $1599, which of course is way off.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see how Dell handles the issue.

In my case, I'm in the marked for a simple telephoto zoom so it won't really
mater much, other then the fact that I'd prefer the 100-400 over the 75-300.
;)

--

Rob

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>
> And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
> Maybe they'll honour it :) )
>
> - Siddhartha

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:00:46 PM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
> "Leith Cassone" <LCass1@usa.net> wrote in message
> > Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...
> >

> Of course you know that this has now hit the web big time and Dell is

> getting flooded with orders which will prompt them to investigate and
make a
> correction.
>
> I've received my pre confirmation email which states full
confirmation and
> order number should be received with in 24 hrs.

Check the web order status, it says "75-300mm" but the email
confirmation says "100-400mm L"

I think Dell will eventually cancel all orders as they reserve the
right to do that.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:35:45 PM

Angela wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Check the web order status, it says "75-300mm" but the email
> > confirmation says "100-400mm L"
> >
> > I think Dell will eventually cancel all orders as they reserve the
> > right to do that.
>
> In the UK when you place an order you are making an offer to buy at
the
> price they advertise, however no contract exists until they accept
your
> offer by debiting your credit card - then BINGO they have to sell to
you at
> that price

Thats true everywhere but not when there is a disclaimer that says:
"Dell cannot be responsible for typographical or other errors, and
reserves the right to cancel any orders resulting from such errors."
As always, read the fine print :)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:55:18 PM

Part number was for a 75-300 or some such. And that lens was priced at
$1300 plus.

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>>
>>And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
>>Maybe they'll honour it :) )
>>

> Just ordered one. We'll see. ;)

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:55:19 PM

"Phil Wheeler" <w6tuh-ng5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Part number was for a 75-300 or some such. And that lens was priced at
> $1300 plus.

Part # matches this lens:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...

According to RitzCamera it only a $229 lens so if that is the case Dell's
price is good and appropriate.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...

--

Rob
December 10, 2004 6:01:42 PM

"Leith Cassone" <LCass1@usa.net> wrote in message
> Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...
>

> On 10 Dec 2004 05:25:54 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
> <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>>
>>And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
>>Maybe they'll honour it :) )
>>
>>- Siddhartha
>
> --------------------------------

I put in my order too. Let's see how fast Dell catches the error.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:14:38 PM

>From: Leith Cassone LCass1@usa.net

>Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...

I ordered 3 of them. Looks like it'll be a buyer's market on EBAY next month.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:17:03 PM

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in

> "Leith Cassone" <LCass1@usa.net> wrote in message
>> Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...
>>

>> On 10 Dec 2004 05:25:54 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
>> <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>>>s&l=en&cs=19&category_id=6096&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx
>>>
>>>And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
>>>Maybe they'll honour it :) )
>>>
>>>- Siddhartha
>>
>> --------------------------------
>

> I put in my order too. Let's see how fast Dell catches the error.

Hopefully right after all of ours are put on the Fedex truck. ;}
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:17:04 PM

Annika1980 wrote:
> >From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>
> >> I put in my order too. Let's see how fast Dell catches the error.
> >
> >Hopefully right after all of ours are put on the Fedex truck. ;}
>
> I felt guilty buying 3 of them so I just ordered the wife 5 of them
for her.
> The 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM makes a great stocking stuffer!
>
> Now if they'd just offer the 65mm MP/E lens for twenty bucks, I'd be
set!

Won't fly. Read the fine print:
" Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves
the right to cancel orders arising from such errors."
Better luck next time ;)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:17:05 PM

Annika1980 wrote:
> >From: "Siddhartha Jain" losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk
>
> >Won't fly. Read the fine print:
> >" Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and
reserves
> >the right to cancel orders arising from such errors."
> >Better luck next time ;)
>
> So they can advertise anything and then just say, "Oops!"? I reserve
the right
> to call them Bait & Switch artists and to report them to the FTC.

I am not a lawyer but thats what it says on the website :)  "Buyer
Beware" was never more true!!
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:17:06 PM

Charlie Self wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain responds:

> >reserves
> >>
> >> So they can advertise anything and then just say, "Oops!"? I
reserve
> >the right
> >> to call them Bait & Switch artists and to report them to the FTC.
> >
> >I am not a lawyer but thats what it says on the website :)  "Buyer
> >Beware" was never more true!!
>
> In other words, if one person at Dell makes a mistake in pricing, you
want Dell
> to hold still to get screwed by people who KNOW the price should be
far less
> than that listed.
>
> Your "Buyer Beware" sounds more to me like "Seller Bend Over".

Please read my post about the Dell disclaimer. I am saying don't expect
Dell to honour any such erroneous offers. So "Buyer Beware" and read
the fine print before you order the $195 "L" series lens because your
order is not likely to get fulfilled at $195.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:28:06 PM

Thanks for posting this.

Now we just need that 70-200 2.8L IS for about $125, and I'm all set.

What are the odds of them actually honoring this price? I ordered one
before I even researched what I was buying... I printed a confirmation
page which doesn't show any numbers - model, manufacturer's, etcetera --
just the product description and the price.

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?s...
>
> And the 75-300mm USM III is listed for $1359!!!
> Maybe they'll honour it :) )
>
> - Siddhartha

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:40:20 PM

>From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com

>> I put in my order too. Let's see how fast Dell catches the error.
>
>Hopefully right after all of ours are put on the Fedex truck. ;}

I felt guilty buying 3 of them so I just ordered the wife 5 of them for her.
The 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM makes a great stocking stuffer!

Now if they'd just offer the 65mm MP/E lens for twenty bucks, I'd be set!
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:51:11 PM

annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote in

>>From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com
>
>>> I put in my order too. Let's see how fast Dell catches the error.
>>
>>Hopefully right after all of ours are put on the Fedex truck. ;}
>
> I felt guilty buying 3 of them so I just ordered the wife 5 of them
> for her. The 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM makes a great stocking stuffer!
>
> Now if they'd just offer the 65mm MP/E lens for twenty bucks, I'd be
> set!

Well, we're busted, boys. The order page now reads:

"We're sorry that we could not find anything that matched your search."

Betcha we start getting "We're sorry, but..." notices within the hour. It
was a nice dream while it lasted.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:52:37 PM

>From: "RustY©" No.Mail@All.Thanks

>I hope you manage to get one. This is a $2000 lens so looks like they
>missed a 0 off the price.

Actually, it's about a $1300 lens, but if everything goes right you'll be able
to buy them next month for $1000/each. Limit 8 per customer.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:52:38 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From: "RustY©" No.Mail@All.Thanks
>
> >I hope you manage to get one. This is a $2000 lens so looks like they
> >missed a 0 off the price.
>
> Actually, it's about a $1300 lens, but if everything goes right you'll be
able
> to buy them next month for $1000/each. Limit 8 per customer.

Next month?

What-chu-talkin-bout, Willis?
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:54:45 PM

>From: annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980)

>I felt guilty buying 3 of them so I just ordered the wife 5 of them for her.

Knowing Dell, they'll bill me for the real amount of $1300/each. Yikes!
Then I'll call them and get to talk to some guy in Jakarta named Wishnu.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:02:10 PM

>From: Eric Gill ericvgill@yahoo.com

>Well, we're busted, boys. The order page now reads:
>
>"We're sorry that we could not find anything that matched your search."
>
>Betcha we start getting "We're sorry, but..." notices within the hour.

BAIT & SWITCH !!!
Somebody call the Better Business Bureau!

That actually could've just been a clever scam to get people to their website.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:07:14 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message

> Actually, it's about a $1300 lens, but if everything goes right you'll be
> able
> to buy them next month for $1000/each. Limit 8 per customer.

That is cheap. Here in the UK the price is almost 1300 pounds, which at the
present exchange rate is about $2500. Next time I need a new lens I'll go
to the travel agents !
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
December 10, 2004 7:08:51 PM

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It appears that Dell has swapped the info and picture for the 75-300 and
> the 100-400.
>
> Note that the part # on the 100-400 is actually the part number for the
> 75-300 and visa versa. The 75-300 is pictured on a page listing the price
> as $1599, which of course is way off.
>
> I guess we'll all have to wait and see how Dell handles the issue.
>
> In my case, I'm in the marked for a simple telephoto zoom so it won't
> really mater much, other then the fact that I'd prefer the 100-400 over
> the 75-300. ;)
>
> --
>
> Rob

I think my order's been dropped, or never got into he system.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:21:28 PM

>From: "Siddhartha Jain" losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk

>Won't fly. Read the fine print:
>" Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves
>the right to cancel orders arising from such errors."
>Better luck next time ;)

So they can advertise anything and then just say, "Oops!"? I reserve the right
to call them Bait & Switch artists and to report them to the FTC.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:15:06 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Check the web order status, it says "75-300mm" but the email
> confirmation says "100-400mm L"
>
> I think Dell will eventually cancel all orders as they reserve the
> right to do that.

In the UK when you place an order you are making an offer to buy at the
price they advertise, however no contract exists until they accept your
offer by debiting your credit card - then BINGO they have to sell to you at
that price
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:04:33 PM

Siddhartha Jain responds:

>Annika1980 wrote:
>> >From: "Siddhartha Jain" losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk
>>
>> >Won't fly. Read the fine print:
>> >" Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and
>reserves
>> >the right to cancel orders arising from such errors."
>> >Better luck next time ;)
>>
>> So they can advertise anything and then just say, "Oops!"? I reserve
>the right
>> to call them Bait & Switch artists and to report them to the FTC.
>
>I am not a lawyer but thats what it says on the website :)  "Buyer
>Beware" was never more true!!

In other words, if one person at Dell makes a mistake in pricing, you want Dell
to hold still to get screwed by people who KNOW the price should be far less
than that listed.

Your "Buyer Beware" sounds more to me like "Seller Bend Over".

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 1:02:47 AM

Annika1980 wrote:
> >From: "Siddhartha Jain" losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk
>
> >Please read my post about the Dell disclaimer. I am saying don't
expect
> >Dell to honour any such erroneous offers. So "Buyer Beware" and read
> >the fine print before you order the $195 "L" series lens because
your
> >order is not likely to get fulfilled at $195.
> >

> Well, Columbus took a chance.

Anyone who's ordered two, let me know if they'd willing to donate the
second one to me for $195 ;-)
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:55:50 AM

>From: "Siddhartha Jain" losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk

>Please read my post about the Dell disclaimer. I am saying don't expect
>Dell to honour any such erroneous offers. So "Buyer Beware" and read
>the fine print before you order the $195 "L" series lens because your
>order is not likely to get fulfilled at $195.

Well, Columbus took a chance.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 1:21:51 PM

My order seems to have disappeared. I got the acknowledgment e-mail,
but never a confirmation and there's no trace of it at "my account".
Guess they're going to pretend it never happened?
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 1:40:03 PM

The identical lens is listed at quite a few locations for between $160
and $270. This is not a Image Stabilized Lens (IS) nor is it the new
set of lenses that Canon has just released:

Canon EF 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon EF 70-300/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

These lenses are over a grand but are top of the line.

The lens everyone is rushing out to purchase is cheaper at other
locations and from what I have seen, only rates around 3 stars out of
5 when reviewed.

After reading some of the messages it looks like it won't be a sellers
market on e-bay next month but will be a buyers market when everyone
tries to unload what they thought was a $1300 lens.

Also, Dell certainly will honor the requests that everyone sent in
because that is the correct price!

Check out:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-shopping.asp?id=...

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=dealtime&s...

Buyer beware is right.

Jeeeezzz

On 10 Dec 2004 22:02:47 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
<losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Annika1980 wrote:
>> >From: "Siddhartha Jain" losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk
>>
>> >Please read my post about the Dell disclaimer. I am saying don't
>expect
>> >Dell to honour any such erroneous offers. So "Buyer Beware" and read
>> >the fine print before you order the $195 "L" series lens because
>your
>> >order is not likely to get fulfilled at $195.
>> >

>> Well, Columbus took a chance.
>
>Anyone who's ordered two, let me know if they'd willing to donate the
>second one to me for $195 ;-)

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-shopping.asp?id=...
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:41:29 PM

"Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> writes:

> My order seems to have disappeared. I got the acknowledgment e-mail,
> but never a confirmation and there's no trace of it at "my account".
> Guess they're going to pretend it never happened?

Yeah, me too.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

>From: "Kitt" kittochtinny@yahoo.com

>My order seems to have disappeared. I got the acknowledgment e-mail,
>but never a confirmation and there's no trace of it at "my account".
>Guess they're going to pretend it never happened?

Same thing here. Let's all send them e-mails inquiring about the status of our
orders. "Will my 8 lenses be here in time for Christmas?"
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:27:53 AM

Here is the lens that was listed and is no longer to be found on the
Dell website:

http://www.adorama.com/CA100400IS.html?sid=110282831211...

Just guessing, but I suspect our awareness level to be quite acceptable
since each of us read the original offering before ordering. Since no
'rushing out' was required, it was really pretty simple to pull Dell's
chain, which makes me quite happy since I've got some issues with them
anyway. If it were in my power to cause them as much grief as they've
caused me, we'd all get a $1500 lens for $200, but that's another long
post or two.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:58:13 AM

As a PS, I see why newcomers to the thread are looking down their noses
and thinking us stupid. The link put up by the OP does now, in fact,
lead to an ad for the 75-300 lens. Believe me, that's not what was
there when we placed our orders.

It's looking to me like Dell management is probably just going to
ignore it unless someone calls to complain, since it looks like
everything is now as it should be. One of my problems with them was an
external HDD on which they postponed delivery on three different
occasions. After about five weeks of screwing around, I called them
and asked if they were aware the item was still listed on their web
site as being in stock and would be delivered in 3-5 business days?
They actually did change the listing the next day to reflect an
undetermined delivery date after having screwed me around for over a
month. The day after that, I got an e-mail telling me it would be
another month. I canceled it and bought one I really didn't want, just
to get it delivered and over with. I'm thinking their growth is going
to insure some shrinkage if they don't get a grip on customer service.
We've had several problems even worse than this in the last year with
them. Prior to that, service was impeccable.

Anyway, I digress. Sorry for the somewhat OT rant, but the bottom line
is that none of us will get a lens or even an explanation or apology if
recent experience is any indicator. How much would it hurt them to at
least post something at that link apologizing for the error? The worst
part of all is that had I actually gotten this lens, it would have
given me an excuse to buy the 20D to put it on. ;o)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 6:21:45 AM

"Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> writes:

> As a PS, I see why newcomers to the thread are looking down their noses
> and thinking us stupid. The link put up by the OP does now, in fact,
> lead to an ad for the 75-300 lens. Believe me, that's not what was
> there when we placed our orders.

And I have the screenshot to prove it. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Some in the forums who ordered the 100-400 at the low price are
reporting Dell is offering them a credit ($100?) for their trouble.

Phil

Kitt wrote:
> Here is the lens that was listed and is no longer to be found on the
> Dell website:
>
> http://www.adorama.com/CA100400IS.html?sid=110282831211...
>
> Just guessing, but I suspect our awareness level to be quite acceptable
> since each of us read the original offering before ordering. Since no
> 'rushing out' was required, it was really pretty simple to pull Dell's
> chain, which makes me quite happy since I've got some issues with them
> anyway. If it were in my power to cause them as much grief as they've
> caused me, we'd all get a $1500 lens for $200, but that's another long
> post or two.

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:26:41 AM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
> > "Leith Cassone" <LCass1@usa.net> wrote in message
> > > Ordered one as well... Jumping on the bandwagon...
> >
> > Of course you know that this has now hit the web big time and Dell is
>
> > getting flooded with orders which will prompt them to investigate and
> > make a correction.
> >
> > I've received my pre confirmation email which states full
> > confirmation and order number should be received with in 24 hrs.
>
> Check the web order status, it says "75-300mm" but the email
> confirmation says "100-400mm L"
>
> I think Dell will eventually cancel all orders as they reserve the
> right to do that.
>
> - Siddhartha

Th web page was changed already. Whoever was entering
the values, has not a clue about photography...
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:40:07 AM

"Todd H." wrote:

> "Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > As a PS, I see why newcomers to the thread are looking down their noses
> > and thinking us stupid. The link put up by the OP does now, in fact,
> > lead to an ad for the 75-300 lens. Believe me, that's not what was
> > there when we placed our orders.
>
> And I have the screenshot to prove it. :-)

And I saved the web page complete. ;-)

-Dave
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:02:42 PM

"Dave Herzstein" <dherzstein@juno.com> wrote in message
> "Todd H." wrote:
>>
>> "Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > As a PS, I see why newcomers to the thread are looking down their noses
>> > and thinking us stupid. The link put up by the OP does now, in fact,
>> > lead to an ad for the 75-300 lens. Believe me, that's not what was
>> > there when we placed our orders.
>>
>> And I have the screenshot to prove it. :-)
>
> And I saved the web page complete. ;-)
>
> -Dave

Aw, com'on now. Everyone knew when they saw the ad that it was a mistake.
Some poor slob who was making the entries goofed and probably has his ass in
a sling. If you want something for nothing, go to the store and use the 5
finger discount. It would be the same.

I can't believe that anyone would believe that they would get a $1500 lens
for $200 (both approximations). You might be able to do that in some dark
alley if you met someone who hijacked a shipment. Let it go and remember -
"If it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't".

Don Dunlap
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:38:43 AM

On 12 Dec 2004 03:21:45 -0600, t@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

>"Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> As a PS, I see why newcomers to the thread are looking down their noses
>> and thinking us stupid. The link put up by the OP does now, in fact,
>> lead to an ad for the 75-300 lens. Believe me, that's not what was
>> there when we placed our orders.
>
>And I have the screenshot to prove it. :-)
To my mind those that are whingeing the most are a sorry bunch
indeed.They all tried to jump onto what was obviously an error by
someone employed by Dell ,-an error that might well have cost her/him
their employment- an exercise that failed. Those complaining about the
moral ethics of Dell should take a look at ther own. Is it justifiable
to exploit human error?.. Just my opinion.
eric phillips
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:38:44 AM

eric phillips <ericp@kooee.com.au> writes:

> Is it justifiable to exploit human error?

If it arrives and Dell's foolish enough to fulfill at that price,
well, I'm not gonna race to send it back any more than any large
company would race to apologize to a customer who paid way too much
for an item that could be found elsewhere cheaper. If it doesn't
arrive (which seems exceedingly likely), I'm certainly not gonna bitch
and force Dell to someone sell it to me at the original (clearly
erroneous) price either, though.

My post about the screenshot proof is offered only to quiet the poster
who came to the thread late and tried to tell everyone who ordered
that they were idiots when he never saw the link before it was
corrected.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

>From: eric phillips ericp@kooee.com.au

>To my mind those that are whingeing the most are a sorry bunch
>indeed.They all tried to jump onto what was obviously an error by
>someone employed by Dell ,-an error that might well have cost her/him
>their employment- an exercise that failed. Those complaining about the
>moral ethics of Dell should take a look at ther own. Is it justifiable
>to exploit human error?.. Just my opinion.
>eric phillips

I never expected to receive any of the 8 lenses I ordered. My gripe is the way
Dell handles what they have the balls to call customer service. Actually, they
call it "Customer Care." If you're the customer, they don't care.

When you order something, they first send you an Acknowledgement e-mail
confirming that they got your order. Then a day later they are supposed to
send a Confirmation e-mail with your order # and order status.
If you don't get that e-mail you are told to check your order status online and
notify them if it isn't there, which I did. Then they send you an automated
response which says what I just said about the two e-mails you are to receive.
So when you reply to that, you get another automated response telling you to
contact a different part of "Customer Care." Then, a real person e-mails you
and tells you to check your order status online.

Of course, you've already done that 2 days ago and so when you e-mail them
back, they send you one final e-mail which directs you to call the Sales
Department.

I then e-mailed the Customer Care guy and asked, "So what is it that you do at
Dell again?"

It's even worse if you want something fixed. You get to talk to Kapeesh in
Jakarta.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:38:45 AM

***THIS IS AN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT -- DO NOT REPLY***

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Dell's Customer Care Center. This message is
being sent to let you know we received your request for assistance. We
value you as our customer and your satisfaction is important to us. We
are working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to answer customer inquiries.
A Customer Service Representative normally responds to email inquiries
within one business day (6-12 Hours). Currently, we are experiencing
high incoming volume. During this time you many experience response
times that are longer than usual (possibly up to 24 hours) as we
complete this improvement.

Sincerely,
Dell Customer Care
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 12:40:22 PM

Exactly Annika, and the talking to Kapeesh is predicated on the
possibility that you can understand one another! I really have no
problem with globalization, but shouldn't we be getting as much as we
give out of the deal? Of course, maybe they think it doesn't matter if
you can understand, since they're not gonna' help you anyway.

As for all you moralists, I don't think any of us thought we were going
to get a top shelf lens for a bottom shelf price, but maybe we did
think we might get some positive response. As usual, it never
happened. As far as the dumbass that made the mistake, maybe that
person will learn from the experience, although I doubt it, based on
the hell I've raised with Dell over the last year or so with absolutely
no indication that I was being heard. I almost think making mistakes
and refusing to correct them is corporate policy. The only changing
they seem to be doing is getting worse, but I've covered that in
previous rants.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:09:54 PM

Just got this today. It was worth a college try though. 8-) Kudos
to Dell's process control to having caught the error and done the
correct thing with the affected orders.
-------

From: <US_DHS_eSales@Dell.com>
Subject: Important News About Your Dell order
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:54:59 -0600

Dear Valued Customer,

We are contacting you to notify you that we are canceling your order
which arose from an online error in which the Canon EF100-400mm lens
product description appeared in the place of the Canon EF75-300mm
lens. The product part for which you placed your order was actually the
Canon EF75-300mm lens. If you are still interested in purchasing the
EF75-300mm lens, we can reprocess your order.

We truly value our relationship with our customers, and we realize the
negative impact from these types of errors. Please be assured that we
are working hard to try and prevent these problems going forward.

Regards,
Dell, Inc

--
Todd H.